Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 or 360

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-08, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 or 360

Okay! So Christmas is coming up and I've been doing some research and I really can't decide. I already have a Wii which I love but I like the Wii exclusives but a lot of the 3rd Party's don't come out for Wii and when they do they tend to suck.

So for that reason I am picking up a PS3 or 360 as a X-Mas gift for myself. I just can't choose which to buy. I like games from both (PS3: MGS4, Resistance 1/2), (360: Gears of War, Halo 3). I've found out that 360 seems to be more of a better Online experience but the PS3 Online isn't so well.

Then there's the rumor about the whole 360 falling behind which it's apsense of Blu-Ray and all if thats true or not. So what is the better choice to choose? PS3 or 360?
Old 11-01-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
online 360
offline PS3

Both have plenty of games and that is the main reason to buy either. 360 happens to have the better online force and I don't think PS3 will ever catch up because of how they think.
360 is geared heavy for online play and can be annoying if you don't want to play people online. I don't believe there is a way to hide on 360 or go into some kind of do not disturb mode. This is fine when you are playing soul calibur but might not be good if you are playing a rpg.

The PS3 is a better system in general. It is unlikely your ps3 will die for no reason a few months after you buy it or a few years after you buy it. Beak downs for 360 is a way of life and the only reason I don't have one. But many people have reported no problems. Still if the 360 was a car would you buy it?
Old 11-01-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lot 360 games now is cheap. PS3 had few exclusive titles: Folklore, Genji, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Warhawk, Resistance 1 & 2, Heavenly sword, Disagea 3, Eye of Judgment, Valkyria Chronicles, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm.
Old 11-01-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
We just had a long discussion about this. You can look up some of the older threads. Basically there is no wrong choice. Look at the game libraries and pick the system with the most games you like. Xbox360 definitely has the better online service, but it does cost $40-$50 a year depending on the deal you get on Live Gold. I'm thinking about grabbing the Live Messenger set. For $70 you get a year of Live, PGR4, a headset and a messenger pad. PS3 does have Blu-ray so if that is a factor it may tip you in that direction.

I just got a 360 and have had a PS3 for nearly 2 years. I like them both and really you can't go wrong either way.
Old 11-02-08, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12
Lot 360 games now is cheap. PS3 had few exclusive titles: Folklore, Genji, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Warhawk, Resistance 1 & 2, Heavenly sword, Disagea 3, Eye of Judgment, Valkyria Chronicles, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm.
Why are you making an argument of "few exclusive titles" for the PS3 by listing more than 15? Anyway, if you plan on doing more with your system then the PS3 is probably the system for you. If it will be for gaming only then the 360 is probably the better choice.
Old 11-02-08, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Didn't we just do this like two weeks ago?
Old 11-02-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Didn't we just do this like two weeks ago?
Yep. And I believe the ultimate conclusion was (a) it depends if online gaming is important to you (360) or (b) it depends if you want to watch Blu-Ray (PS3).

Look at all the time I just saved everyone!
Old 11-02-08, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But what if I don't care about online gaming or Blu-ray?

Which one has more better games? That's all that matters.
Old 11-02-08, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Super NES...or the search button.
Old 11-02-08, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PS3 still doesn't really have much coming in the way of JRPGs so if that's a factor..
Old 11-02-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
online 360
offline PS3

Both have plenty of games and that is the main reason to buy either. 360 happens to have the better online force and I don't think PS3 will ever catch up because of how they think.
360 is geared heavy for online play and can be annoying if you don't want to play people online. I don't believe there is a way to hide on 360 or go into some kind of do not disturb mode. This is fine when you are playing soul calibur but might not be good if you are playing a rpg.

The PS3 is a better system in general. It is unlikely your ps3 will die for no reason a few months after you buy it or a few years after you buy it. Beak downs for 360 is a way of life and the only reason I don't have one. But many people have reported no problems. Still if the 360 was a car would you buy it?
You are wrong here. You can set yourself as: away, busy, online, or appear offline. You can also completely turn off those notifications so if someone sends you an invite or a message the system doesn't pop up the bubble to tell you.
Old 11-02-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Depends. If you need a Blu-ray player as well, get the PS3, if not the 360 is a better gaming machine.

I look at it more like this, you can get an Xbox360 many times for around $255 for the 60gb Pro system, that comes with Lego Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda (what an odd pack-in) and then get Fallout 3 and Gears of War, which would bring you up to around $375. Of course, with wireless (legit is expensive, you can find bridging alternatives for around $40) and Live ($39 for 13 months) you have an abundance of added costs.

Or you can get a PS3 for $399.
Old 11-02-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is 10 pages of discussion.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...ps3-360-a.html
Old 11-02-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
If you have a Sam's card, look for this bundle soon: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...sams-club.html

Fantastic deal.
Old 11-02-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_D
PS3 still doesn't really have much coming in the way of JRPGs so if that's a factor..
I thought this, but after playing the JRPGS on 360 I am pretty damn unimpressed. I thought Blue Dragon was so so, Lost Odyssey was slightly above average and I couldn't get into Infinite Undiscovery at all. Very weak effort from Tri-Ace IMO.

On the flip side I really liked Disgaea 3 despite its weak visuals and Valkyria Chronicles seems better than any JRPG I have tried on 360. Of course both will get FF13, but maybe 360 does get the nod since it has Tales of Vesperia.

Anyway, I think you can find plenty of good JRPGs exclusives on both.
Old 11-03-08, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me so far, there are quite a few I haven't played. Some like Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata seem like they would appeal to certain types of fans. Also, Infinite Undiscovery seems pretty flawed, based on reviews, but might but enough for a quick fix.

Apart from that I really loved Lost Odyssey, I thought it was actually better than any of the FFs except for maybe FF12, and even that had a weaker story (but much more engaging mechanics). Of course, the relatively unheralded gem so far is definitely Tales of Vesperia. For me, definitely the best Tales game ever. It takes all the funky technical issues with previous Tales games (shitty slow over world, long load times, un voiced cut scenes etc) and flushes them away! Plus everything else is pretty well polished (apart from a few spelling errors and some missing voiced lines). Anyway, it's a must play for any Tales and JRPG fan.

Personally I'm pretty tired of the Disgaea series (never even finished 1), and for most, I think once you've played one of them there's no compelling need to play others. If anything, the PSP version is probably the one to get since the grindy, repetitive nature of the game seems perfect for a hand held. As you mention, Disgaea 3 could easily be a PS2 game.

Valyria Chronicles looks awesome but from what I've read I believe it would be classified as a strategy JRPG rather than in the more traditional plain RPG mold (JRPG or otherwise). If that's what you want, then great, just something to be aware of. If I had a PS3 I would buy it for sure.

As you said, FF13 is now coming to both. It remains to be seen what will happen with FF13 versus, for now it's a PS3 exclusive. Anyway, not being a single player game (presumably) it doesn't really fit the usual model. Star Ocean 4, a 360 exclusive, is shaping up very nicely based on reports so far, certainly fans of the series should be happy. Last Remnant is looking like it may be a miss at this point but I'll still check out the reviews. White Knight Story (PS3 exclusive) could be the JRPG that the PS3 so desperately needs with FF13 so far away, but that's another wait and see with it having both good and bad showings so far.

Apart from that, as far as the western RPG side of things go (for those that play both like me), you have a great version of Oblivion on both, Fable 2 exclusive to 360, and reportedly a more technically proficient version of Fallout 3 on 360.

The big problem with the PS3 re: JRPGs is that the bigger series have gone multiplatform or 360 exclusive (FF, Star Ocean, Tales), while the series from boutique developers (like an Atelier Iris for example) have been scared away by next-gen costs and are continuing to release on PS2 in Japan (and these days no longer getting localised of course). Some other big series, Monster Hunter has gone to Wii, and Dragonquest has gone to DS. MS has stepped up to the plate and funded Blue Dragon and Lost O. through Mistwalker. Meanwhile, Sony has shown no interest in using it's huge 1st party development resources to fill this clear genre gap on PS3. When asked in interviews Sony has said it's quite happy to let 3rd parties cover this. Pretty complacent if you ask me.

So if someone asked me what console they should buy for RPGs, my honest and I think, very well justified recommendation, would be to buy a 360 for sure.