Netflix Watch Instantly coming to TiVo

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-30-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some very cool news:

TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVRs) and Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX), the world's largest online movie rental service, today announced that they are teaming up to provide Netflix and TiVoŽ Series3, TiVo HD, and TiVo HD XL subscribers with the ability to have thousands of movies and TV episodes instantly streamed from Netflix directly to their TVs.

The two companies said they are initiating a test of the new capability today in several thousand U.S. households and expect it to be broadly available in early December, in time for the holidays. The ability to instantly watch content from Netflix on the TV via TiVo DVRs will be offered at no additional charge to customers who subscribe to both services.

The agreement provides Netflix with an important new technology partner to instantly stream a growing library of more than 12,000 choices of movies and TV episodes directly from Netflix to the TV. It also solidifies TiVo's leading position for simple navigation and delivery of the best entertainment content to the TV.

"For Netflix and TiVo subscribers, this collaboration offers a fabulously easy way to enhance the enjoyment of watching movies in the comfort of their living rooms," said Reed Hastings, co-founder and CEO of Netflix. "Subscribers to Netflix and TiVo are avid movie watchers and this combination gives them immediate access to all of the great content available through TiVo and the thousands of additional choices available to be streamed instantly from Netflix."

"Joining forces with Netflix creates the ultimate video on demand service and solidifies TiVo's leading position as the one-box solution for aggregating, searching, and delivering the best content available anywhere right to the TV," said Tom Rogers, president and CEO of TiVo Inc. "Adding Netflix to our already vast library of content differentiates TiVo even further from any other offering in the market today."

Integrating the Netflix streaming functionality into the TiVo experience will result in quick and easy access to a growing list of movies and TV episodes that can be watched instantly at Netflix. Movies streamed from Netflix via specified TiVo DVRs is done through a wired or wireless broadband connection and a Netflix Queue-based user interface. Members visit the Netflix Web site to add movies and TV episodes to their individual instant Queues. Those choices will automatically be displayed on subscribers' TVs and available to watch instantly through the TiVo service. With the TiVo remote control, users will be able to browse their instant Queue, make selections right on the TV screen, and also have the ability to read synopses and rate movies. In addition, they will have the option of pausing, fast-forwarding, rewinding and re-starting whenever they wish.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/10/30...oming-to-tivo/

Old 10-30-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts
Awesome news.
Old 10-31-08, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Only have a series 2
Old 10-31-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
Is this only for Individual Tivo units? Or would Directv DVR's with Tivo work with this as well?

It's not a huge deal because I have an Xbox 360 and they will also be hooking up with Netflix as well in this same format starting next week.
Old 10-31-08, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, this will replace the need for the $99 black box Netflix was selling to stream movies? I only have the series 2 also.
Old 10-31-08, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Is this only for Individual Tivo units? Or would Directv DVR's with Tivo work with this as well?
Individual. I know the DirecTV branded DVRs can handle streaming, but I don't think it's even possible on the HD DirecTiVo.

Originally Posted by big whoppa
So, this will replace the need for the $99 black box Netflix was selling to stream movies?
If you have one of the named TiVos, then yes.
Old 10-31-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Any timeline on this?
Old 10-31-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Any timeline on this?
First sentence, second paragraph.
Old 10-31-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chew
First sentence, second paragraph.
Whoops.
Old 12-08-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A thread bump to say: Netflix is now available (or should be after your daily call today) on TiVoHD and S3 models.

Sweet.
Old 12-08-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A thread bump to say: Netflix is now available (or should be after your daily call today) on TiVoHD and S3 models.

Sweet.
The streaming option just showed up on mine on Friday. Still a little flaky though watching YouTube. Haven't tried Netflix yet.
Old 12-14-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I am going to have to upgrade my DSL package to the highest speed possible if I want any shot at watching the HD content in a respectable manner. Even the live-action non-HD stuff is barely watchable at my present speed.

At least it is widescreen.

Last edited by B.A.; 12-14-08 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-14-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every night I've been watching an episode of the Office and an episode of 30 Rock, haven't really tested any of the movies yet. The quality and the playback is awesome and vibrant, yet another reason for me to love my Tivo and Netflix subscriptions!
Old 12-14-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by DJariya

It's not a huge deal because I have an Xbox 360 and they will also be hooking up with Netflix as well in this same format starting next week.
The helecoptor engine that is the Xbox fan wont bother your movie watching?

I have both but plan on using the tivo for just this reason
Old 12-14-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
BTW, hows the selection?

New DVD releases, is there a lag with posting on Watch it Now?
Old 12-14-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The selection is okay - new releases are few and far between.
Old 12-14-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
The helecoptor engine that is the Xbox fan wont bother your movie watching?

I have both but plan on using the tivo for just this reason
LOL I have to agree. I put something in my Watch It Now queue and it's available on both Tivo and 360. I'll definitely us my tivo whenever possible to view the queue.
Old 12-15-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts
So how is this downloaded? Do you have to have it hooked up to an ethernet cable? Wifi? Cable company?
Old 12-16-08, 06:47 AM

Well, I watched my first Netflix/TiVo movie last night, Jackass 2.5. My bandwidth meter was all the way up (I usually get ~1MB/s downloads) but the quality was pretty poor.
Old 12-16-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
I am going to have to upgrade my DSL package to the highest speed possible if I want any shot at watching the HD content in a respectable manner. Even the live-action non-HD stuff is barely watchable at my present speed.

At least it is widescreen.
What HD content did you find? I've just been watching MI-5 which was already in my Netflix Queue.

Originally Posted by Strafe
Well, I watched my first Netflix/TiVo movie last night, Jackass 2.5. My bandwidth meter was all the way up (I usually get ~1MB/s downloads) but the quality was pretty poor.
It certainly isn't even "near DVD quality", but I still am liking not having to sit in front of my PC to watch. I love my big TV and this is great.

Originally Posted by tanman
So how is this downloaded? Do you have to have it hooked up to an ethernet cable? Wifi? Cable company?
It all depends on how you have your TiVo set up/connected to the internet really. If your TiVo doesn't have an ethernet connection, it can't do on demand.

One thing I learned this weekend. While anything that had content viewable online at Netflix was automatically added to your "instant queue" when the service was enabled, you have to add any new content to your "instant queue" in order for it to appear on your TiVo. And it is almost instantaneous when you add in on the website.
Old 12-16-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rfduncan
What HD content did you find? I've just been watching MI-5 which was already in my Netflix Queue.
I don't have the download speed to watch it in its proper form, but there are over 400 selections in Watch Instantly's HD genre.

I am maxing out at 8 bars, often I am watching the content at 6.

Anyone else having lip-sync issues? It was a chronic problem w/ Dead Man's Shoes, but I was able to fix it w/ a quick rewind on The Hunter.
Old 12-16-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here is the CNET review for those that didn't see it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...CarouselArea.0
Old 12-16-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I sure hope the people who are complaining about the quality aren't blaming the source, because they should be looking at their broadband speed.

I have 7mb download and have zero complaints.
Old 12-16-08, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by B.A.
Anyone else having lip-sync issues? It was a chronic problem w/ Dead Man's Shoes, but I was able to fix it w/ a quick rewind on The Hunter.
Yep, and as you said, rewinding seemed to resync.

I sure hope the people who are complaining about the quality aren't blaming the source, because they should be looking at their broadband speed.

I was maxing out the meter and still got poor quality.
Old 12-16-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's all on my end.

If I didn't have a baby on the way - I'd upgrade my DSL package in a heartbeat.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.