Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

So what RESTRICTIONS did your SIGNIFICANT OTHER have when you designed your HT?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

DVD's, DVD's, DVD's

We love them. You love them. But do our SIG OTHERS love them?

When looking over the pics in the HT thread, I always wonder how much influence your wives/girlfriends/husbands/boyfriends had when you designed your home theaters?

Did they let you hang those posters up?

Just one or two toys?

Nothing over the fireplace?

What was the situation?

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 10-29-08 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-29-08, 03:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Her only restriction was to not go over 25K. I did ask her opinions on carpet, color scheme, and which movies to get posters of, but the final decisions were mine. On the other hand, she got some landscaping done, a granite counter top in the kitchen, and a deck.
Old 10-29-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Most of my restrictions are self-imposed. Due to our small living space (we rent an apartment), I haven't decorated the place the way I would like it. I don't want to do that to her. The entertainment console and our DVDs take up most of our tiny living room anyway so I'm holding off on the posters, accessories, etc until we get a house. Once we do buy a home, I'll have free reign to build what my wife calls my ultimate "man room". This is assuming we get a place with a living room AND a family/TV room.
Old 10-29-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My SO picks the furniture and the colors of stuff. I have no sense of that, she enjoys it. I don't have a dedicated HT, but our main console was something she found and I've worked with -- it's got a limit of 6" height for components, for instance.

I did talk her into some posters, but I had her provide input on the movies. Amelie was added, but it's got great looking posters and I love the film, too. We have pictures of various stars, she provided some that she likes... and we combined the lists. Still working on that one.

-beebs
Old 10-29-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Restrictions? My wife told me I couldn't buy a new TV unless it was at or over 65". She also told me to get some speakers that kicked enough ass where we could enjoy the action movies we typically watch. I have one kickass wife.
Old 10-29-08, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't ask. I bring in the money, I buy what I need. She knows who the real boss is.
Old 10-29-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, I need your "others" to talk to my wife.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 11-01-08 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-29-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I make all of the decisions because I am paying for it. As long as she can watch the Redskins (blech!), she is fine. I just upgraded my TV and she helped me sell the other one to someone at her office.
Old 10-29-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got sick of the restrictions so I arbitrarily canceled them. And not just on electronics. Been a lot happier ever since.

Men and women aren't built for men to be whining sheep. Works a lot better for both if we aren't.
Old 10-29-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, she did say I can go ahead and order my receiver, but we just found out this past weekend that we have another little one on the way, so I told her I will just take the speakers from my older upstairs system and used them downstairs with the new receiver. I never watch DVDs upstairs anymore now anyway since I got the 52" Sammy.
Old 10-29-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
I knew the key in getting exactly what I wanted, was to make it all HER idea. This was several years ago...but I walked into house and absolutely knew I wanted to make the back room on the far end of the house a theater room. But of course I couldn't just say that. Conversation went something like:

Me: so what are we going to do with this room?
Her: I don't know, what do you think?
Me: Office
Her: I thought we were putting office in 4th bedroom?
Me: Oh yeh, I forgot.
Her: So what goes in here?
Me: Well since it is on the far side of the house, why don't we put in a small exercise room. Treadmill, some weights, etc. I can put in a stereo and a small TV or something.
Her: No, I want something the kids can do as well.
Me: How about a game room where the kids can bring friends over and play board games and listen to music?
Her: Well I like that, but the kids are of the age where they want to watch movies and play video games.
Me: I can put our TV in there and hook up a DVD player?
Her: That TV is way to small for that room...hey what about a media/theater room?
****Ding...Ding...Ding....****

After that it was easy. She helped me build the screen, find nice curtains without spending a fortune, find real theater chairs, find and order commercial carpet squares and a few other things.
Old 10-29-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife had no input in our home theater. I researched for at least a year before buying my 65" Toshiba rptv, Klipsch speakers, Denon receiver and Toshiba dvd player back in 2001. I told her what it cost at the time, but since I was able to pay for it without financing, she didn't question it. I'm now in the process of slowly upgrading the home theater (just replaced the Denon with a newer model Denon.) All she seems to care about is that it works (and I'm trying to not have to finance the upgrades.) The rptv still works great and I'm looking into purchasing both a PS3 and a standalone Blu-Ray player going forward. She's been supportive to say the least.

Last edited by tofferman; 10-29-08 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-30-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I was told no more Lord of the Rings or Star Wars items
Old 10-30-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She always likes the final results, so I just kinda of lie in the process. I need new speakers for the computer... and then I have a receiver and 7.1 speakers. I want a projector, I can get one online for around $600... and then I got the Panny for $1200. Of course she's mad at me but then I just show the results to her and she's ok. The sad part is that she liked the projector too much that I have to share it with her.
Old 10-30-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My SIGNIFICANT OTHER didn't give me any RESTRICTIONS at all. In fact she ENCOURAGED me to go with a TV that we both really liked, but was pretty EXPENSIVE.

She helped me pick out the TV and Audio stands we got and then put them TOGETHER with me. She was very SUPPORTIVE.
Old 10-30-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
My SIGNIFICANT OTHER didn't give me any RESTRICTIONS at all. In fact she ENCOURAGED me to go with a TV that we both really liked, but was pretty EXPENSIVE.

She helped me pick out the TV and Audio stands we got and then put them TOGETHER with me. She was very SUPPORTIVE.
I'm trying to figure out if there is some secret message to decipher in your ALL CAPS words.

If she's holding you against your will and making you type that, blink twice.
Old 10-30-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My wife is real easy going in those matters. I basically just buy what I want. The only real thing she insists on is that becauseit is a family room, it remains a family room. So no theater seating, no movie posters or popcorn machines. Just regular family room furniture with a big ass TV and wall shaking subwoofer.
Old 10-31-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I'm trying to figure out if there is some secret message to decipher in your ALL CAPS words.

If she's holding you against your will and making you type that, blink twice.
Just going along with the pattern established in the thread title.

Old 10-31-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
we just found out this past weekend that we have another little one on the way...
Congratulations! Will you be changing your username to Babymaker?
Old 10-31-08, 10:01 AM
Suspended

My SO doesn't want me to have a second MFW15 subwoofer.

I'll probably overrule here.
Old 11-01-08, 06:13 AM

The boyfriend didn't have any restraints cause I was spending my money. I'm sure since I'm in the planning stages of buying a new tv, I'm sure he'll be more than willing to contribute his hard earn money. ; )
Old 11-01-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon

I was told no more Star Wars items
With all the crap Hasbro is putting out these days, that's easy for me. I've reverted back to vintage stuff.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 11-01-08 at 08:19 AM.