Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Donna Reed Show: The Complete First Season'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-08, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of The Donna Reed Show: The Complete First Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=35165 and...

...I thought it was one of the most eloquent and thoughtful reviews I have ever read. It is refreshing to see post-modern cynicism called on the carpet. I couldn't think of anything to add. Thank you !
Old 10-28-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by docvoltage
It is refreshing to see post-modern cynicism called on the carpet.
While I mightily enjoyed Paul's review too, I'm unsure why it's "refreshing" to see "post-modern cynicism called on the carpet" yet again. I perused some of the 129,000 references to post-modern cynicism that a Google search turned up and found just about everybody was calling poor ol' postmodern cynicism on the carpet. That carpet must be worn threadbare by now.

An enthusiastic endorsement for postmodern cynicism, or hell even just a kind word for ol' postmodern deconstructionism from Paul, now that would be refreshing.
Old 10-28-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now, now. What would Donna Stone say? "It's so much more fun when we all play nice."

Actually, if you go back and look at all of my reviews (and I really recommend that you do -- they're wonderful), you'll see I'm about as schizophrenic as you can get when it comes to post-modern cynicism and sunny, rear-looking nostalgia.

It all depends if I've had my fiber that day.

And that's where the general anguish and torment comes from.
(over my competing moods. Not the lack of fiber).
Old 11-12-08, 03:20 AM

Can someone tell me if this show would perhaps offend my 'liberal' sensibilities? Also, I'm a sucker for a good one-liner, and some of these shows had them in spades. Does "The Donna Reed Show" have great writing and witty quotable one-liners (a la The Golden Girls, lol), or is the humor more slapstick/situational?

I know nothing about this show but considering how low its priced right now, was thinking about getting it