Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 DVD Player Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-08, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 DVD Player Questions

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. We recently bought the PS3, primarily for the DVD/Blu Ray player. Here's what we're discovering:

* When we put a disc in that has been in the player before, it starts playing automatically and doesn't go to the menu first. First time discs usually go to the menu. I'd prefer it to automatically start with the menu; is there a setting somewhere for this?
* Most every DVD player I've ever owned (whether they were $25 or $1000), when you press STOP while playing, even when powering off and back on, the player remembers where it was stopped and starts off again. The PS3 doesn't seem to retain any memory, even if the unit isn't powered off. This gets frustrating when you have little kids...
* My wife put in an exercise DVD 2 weeks ago. It played about 15 minutes before my kids needed help. She stopped it, ejected it, put it away. Since then we've watched at least 5-7 other DVDs. Yesterday she went to use the exercise DVD, and it started where she left off!

Is there a setting somewhere that I can turn off memory for DVDs or the auto-play option?
Old 10-28-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll try to answer:

*Replay will not start at a menu - there is no timestamp associated with it as opposed to a marker at 56 minutes in the film, for example
*The PS3 CAN remember where it left off - this was added in a firmware patch about a year or so
*The last item seems counter to the second item

You can turn replay off completely - I would refer you to the updated on-line manuals at http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/Manuals/PS3, just pick the one that corresponds to your model.

BTW, I used to live in Rochester - I went to RIT starting in 1983, and I left in 1995, working for Bausch & Lomb and Xerox during that time. My job will bring me back there in January after nearly 14 years!

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 10-28-08 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-28-08, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
I'll try to answer:

*Replay will not start at a menu - there is no timestamp associated with it as opposed to a marker at 56 minutes in the film, for example
*The PS3 CAN remember where it left off - this was added in a firmware patch about a year or so
*The last item seems counter to the second item

I would refer you to the updated on-line manual at http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/Manuals/PS3

BTW, I used to live in Rochester - I went to RIT starting in 1983 and left in 1995, working for Bausch & Lomb and Xerox during that tenure.

I agree- there doesn't seem to be consistancy with it, which is why I was hoping there was a setting I could verify... thanks for the link to the manual- I guess I'll have to do the un-manly thing and read through it!

So what made you leave Roch? Better opportunity? Most people who are at Bausch or Xerox make a career out of it...
Old 10-28-08, 08:40 AM

is there any way to turn off the replay so that if a disc is inserted it always starts at the menu?
Old 10-28-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kramdenfan
I agree- there doesn't seem to be consistancy with it, which is why I was hoping there was a setting I could verify... thanks for the link to the manual- I guess I'll have to do the un-manly thing and read through it!

So what made you leave Roch? Better opportunity? Most people who are at Bausch or Xerox make a career out of it...
I was transitioned to EDS in October 1994, which was the worst career I ever had! I also had to get out of Rochester - I moved to Atlanta (another bad move, only plus was meeting my future wife there), then Denver, and now here!
Old 10-28-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is there any way to turn off the replay so that if a disc is inserted it always starts at the menu?
I know it's under BD/DVD settings (it has a new name now), and if I'm on my PS3 during the day (I'm working from home right now) I'll tell you exactly where the setting is.
Old 10-28-08, 09:15 AM

I know it's under BD/DVD settings (it has a new name now), and if I'm on my PS3 during the day (I'm working from home right now) I'll tell you exactly where the setting is.
that'd be great! thanks!
Old 10-28-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Completely unscientific, just guessing based on my experience, I think the 'restart from last point' only remembers a 2-3 discs. Once you put in more than that it stores the new disc(s) and dumps the old one(s) from memory.

I've always been curious though, so anyone with a defacto answer should step forward. Of course this thread might be better served in the BD or Home Theater forums on this site.
Old 10-28-08, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this was added in a firmware patch about a year or so
kramdenfan if you haven't already make sure you put it on the network and download the lastest firmware. One of the main benefits of using the PS3 as a blu-ray player is the easy updates, you're only hurting yourself if you don't do it.
Old 10-28-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd really appreciate it if you'd explain where to change this, because I haven't been able to find it. I'd like to turn it off, because it doesn't work correctly anyway with a lot of my TV-on-DVD discs. (I'll watch one episode, go back to the menu, and quit ... next time it'll start at the beginning of the episode I've already watched.) I know you can turn off disc auto-start so it doesn't play when you put it in, and then open the disc's options with "Δ" in the XMB and choose to start from the beginning, but I forget half the time and just click "X" to start it (which activates the resume). I'd rather just turn off the resume feature completely than have to work around it every time.
Old 10-28-08, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by nemein
kramdenfan if you haven't already make sure you put it on the network and download the lastest firmware. One of the main benefits of using the PS3 as a blu-ray player is the easy updates, you're only hurting yourself if you don't do it.

Thanks, Nemein- I did that the day I installed it!
Old 10-28-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK...

I went in and tried to find a setting that would let you toggle the resume playback functionality, and there isn't one. I truly apologize for making the assumption it was something you had control over.
Old 10-28-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about DVDs, but for BDs it will only resume SOME of them. This is based on how the disc is created. If, when you first put in the BD you see a loading screen (Pretty sure Paramount always has these) then your disc will not be resumeable. I know if a disc has BD-J it will not be able to be resumed.

I was also pretty sure there was an option in the Settings, but maybe it doesn't exist anymore.
Old 10-28-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So this is a somewhat-related question to the DVD capabilities of the PS3: does it do upscaling on standard DVDs? If so, how well does it do it?
Old 10-28-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
OK...

I went in and tried to find a setting that would let you toggle the resume playback functionality, and there isn't one. I truly apologize for making the assumption it was something you had control over.
I know this. If you exit out to the menu during playback it will remember where you left off on DVDs and many BDs. BDs it won't usually have their own bookmarking feature you can use. I'm not sure what the limit is on discs, but I know I have popped in a DVD from a week or two before and it remember it.

The upscaling is very good and can be tinkered with quite a bit. These kind of things are subjective, but I personally like the upscaling a bit better from the LG BH200 with it Qed chip, but I would rate the PS3 a close second and the Xbox 360 third among the DVD players I have hooked up to my 52in TV.
Old 10-29-08, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
I know this. If you exit out to the menu during playback it will remember where you left off on DVDs and many BDs. BDs it won't usually have their own bookmarking feature you can use. I'm not sure what the limit is on discs, but I know I have popped in a DVD from a week or two before and it remember it.
So is there anything that can be done to not have the player remember where it was left off? I know on some players pressing STOP twice will 'erase' the memory of where play was on the disc- but when I just press STOP on the PS3, I'm prompted to confirm I want to stop playback....
Old 10-29-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So is there anything that can be done to not have the player remember where it was left off? I know on some players pressing STOP twice will 'erase' the memory of where play was on the disc- but when I just press STOP on the PS3, I'm prompted to confirm I want to stop playback....
To have it not remember eject the disc before going back to the dashboard. As long as you don't exit to the PS3 dashboard before ejecting it doesn't seem to remember the disc.
Old 10-29-08, 02:34 PM

Thanks! I'll give that a shot! I'm assuming it should still be stopped, though- right?
Old 10-29-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
When you are at the dash, hit triangle when on the disc and you should have the option "Play from the beginning"
Old 10-29-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Music
When you are at the dash, hit triangle when on the disc and you should have the option "Play from the beginning"
Yeah, I forgot about this one too. This will automatically play it from the beginning whether it remembers the disc or not.
Old 10-29-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I doubt you're actually pressing stop, then. Are you just hitting circle on the PS3 controller? If you don't have one of the "traditional" remote solutions for the PS3, the "true" stop button is activated by pressing triangle during playback and then choosing the stop icon.

Not that any of this makes a difference...
Old 10-29-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, there is no true stop button on the controller (which the Nyko IR dongle emulates). The ways to have a true stop button is with the official bluetooth remote, or a device that converts IR signals to bluetooth such as the IR2BT.

Also, bear in mind that some Warner DVDs (and BDs for that matter) do not go to the menu when first starting, but rather just begin playing the movie.
Old 10-29-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl

Also, bear in mind that some Warner DVDs (and BDs for that matter) do not go to the menu when first starting, but rather just begin playing the movie.
Off-topic, but I dislike Warner's straight-to-film start-up.
Old 10-30-08, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Yeah, there is no true stop button on the controller (which the Nyko IR dongle emulates). The ways to have a true stop button is with the official bluetooth remote, or a device that converts IR signals to bluetooth such as the IR2BT.

I had the blutooth remote, and have since gotten the Nyko Bluwave IR converter so I can use my harmony remote.

My issue is my kids are obsessed with seeing the menu on their DVDs - when I put on of their discs in (ie- Baby Einstein), if the menu doesn't come up first, they have a fit.