Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Starz greenlights Spartacus: The Series----Coming next summer

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Starz greenlights Spartacus: The Series----Coming next summer

I do have to say that this show has an impressive creative team behind it with Raimi and DeKnight.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...a72d166f462dea

Starz is bringing "Spartacus" to life on the small screen, greenlighting a 13-episode series from executive producers Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert and Joshua Donen.

Steven S. DeKnight ("Smallville") has signed on as head writer and showrunner of the hourlong series, set in the brutal world of gladiators, said Starz Entertainment executive vp programming Stephan Shelanski.

"Spartacus" marks Starz's second original drama after "Crash" and the first drama to be produced in-house by sibling studio Starz Media, under the supervision of executive vp original production William Hamm, who previously was executive vp television at Raimi's Ghost House Pictures and brought the project to the channel.

The series -- developed by Raimi, Tapert and Donen -- will start production in New Zealand early next year, targeted for a summer debut on Starz and its suite of channels. The network touted the series' production values; it's estimated that the budget will end up north of $2 million an episode.

"Spartacus" was inspired by the real-life slave of the Roman Republic who in 73 B.C. led a slave revolt that grew to more than 120,000 fighters. Starz said the story will be "reimagined" it for what it calls a generation of TV viewers raised on graphic novels and cutting-edge production technology.

"This is not going to be at all like the 1960s Kirk Douglas film," Shelanski said. "We didn't want your typical sword-and-sandals. It's going to be fun, fast-moving, full of action and interesting characters and have a little more depth to it than the 1960s film."

Shelanski added that the show will be produced specifically for a premium cable audience, with "R-rated" action and storytelling. The goal is to accomplish the graphic-novel look and feel of such movies as "300" and "Sin City." As with "300," producers also will be looking to cast "Spartacus" with a group of fresh-faced, unknown actors.

Hamm added that "Spartacus" will be one of the first TV series to use an "almost 100% virtual environment," using live-action actors against virtual sets in the style of "300" and "Sin City."

"It will bring the younger audience who has grown up on graphic novels and video games this heightened reality; it's not going to look like anything you've seen before, especially on TV," said Hamm, who also worked with Raimi and Tapert when he was an exec at Universal TV and they were part of the producing team on "Xena: Warrior Princess" and "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys."

Starz Media's Anchor Bay Entertainment will hold exclusive worldwide home entertainment distribution rights; the company's Worldwide Distribution group will handle international TV and domestic syndication sales.
Old 10-28-08, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, no replies? Im in for the show! Though I dont have Stars, I look forward to finding the DVD someday
Old 10-28-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm Spartacus!
Old 10-28-08, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hamm added that "Spartacus" will be one of the first TV series to use an "almost 100% virtual environment," using live-action actors against virtual sets in the style of "300" and "Sin City."
Isn't that was Sanctuary is doing? I have to say I'm not very impressed w/ it so far in that series.
Old 10-28-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love the story and the Kirk Douglas movie. Also like Raimi, so count me in. Hopefully, they use Kevin McKidd as Sparty.
Old 07-25-09, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Starz greenlights Spartacus: The Series----Coming next summer

Trailer:
http://www.starz.com/originals/spart...-full-trailer/

I think it looks fucking awesome!
Old 07-25-09, 08:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Too bad we have to wait until January.
Old 07-25-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Wow!! That trailer looks good. Looks very much in the realm of 300.

If you don't subscribe to Starz, but have Netflix, you should be able to either watch this in Starz Play or in the Netflix Watch Instantly section for your computer or XBox 360.
Old 07-25-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Looks awesome.
Old 12-17-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Just saw the first episode.
While the acting and dialogue was kinda terrible in parts, the sex, action and excessive amounts of blood and gore rocked!
It's pretty much exactly like '300' but with more blood and dismemberment.

There's nothing like it on TV so I'm in.
Old 12-17-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not crazy about the "virtual environments" at all.