DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Survivor: Gabon - Earth's Last Eden - 10/23/08

Title:
Spoiler:
He's a Snake, but He's My Snake

Description:
Spoiler:
A castaway has an emotional breakdown; big appetites and dwindling rations create resentment at one camp..
Old 10-23-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Fang loses both challenges. I'm thinking they may pull the plug on Sugar this go around. In typical hidden immunity idol fashion, Sugar won't see it coming and she won't play it. I'd like to see the Fang tribe lose the challenge and try to convince her to vote for Ace, causing her to give Ace the immunity idol and have him play it all while they're secretly voting for her. But that's way too much thinking for that group of idiots.

I'm torn about Ace. The guy is a such a douche. Everytime he's on the screen I have a desire to just punch him in the face. But the guy is a hard worker and seemingly one of two members on Fang that actually work on the challenges. Him and Matt (?) are the only ones that deserve to make it to the merge. Maybe Sugar too... because I like her cans.
Old 10-23-08, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really feel bad for people who refuse to watch previews.
Old 10-23-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Was that post meant for me? I posted that 11 hours before the previews for next week aired.

I've seen about 7 seasons of Survivor and I don't think I've seen a team more pathetic than Fang. Either they have people quitting on the challenges (GC, Kelly) or they have people who try to win the challenge and blow it (Ace). Matt is the only one that deserves to make it to the merge but I think he's too much of a good person for the game. He had no problem telling Kenny his exact plan with Ace. It will come back to bite him.
Old 10-23-08, 11:38 PM

No, not at all.

It's just that the preview for next week's episode was so awesome that it's a shame for the people who don't watch them.
Old 10-24-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Randy is such an asshole ... "Waah waah waaahhh!"

I know what you're saying about Ace. I'd rather have an arrogant weasely player who is at least trying than whiners like GC and Crystal. How on earth did she manage to compete on the highest level of track and field if she cracks under the pressure of a Survivor food challenge? Kelli sucked too, but she had a great line at TC: "I'm not saying you're a quitter. Just that you're unbalanced."
Old 10-24-08, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
Matt (?)
Matty
Old 10-24-08, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't like this week's challenges as much as last week's. Immunity was not very interesting. Reward was a variation on the "surf chase" that was so awesome in Palau. Still good here but not as fresh. Clearly the problem for Fang in that one was that their team sucks.
Old 10-24-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee

I know what you're saying about Ace. I'd rather have an arrogant weasely player who is at least trying than whiners like GC and Crystal. How on earth did she manage to compete on the highest level of track and field if she cracks under the pressure of a Survivor food challenge? Kelli sucked too, but she had a great line at TC: "I'm not saying you're a quitter. Just that you're unbalanced."

Randy was great - best part of the episode.

I totally agree about Ace and the whiners. I've been perplexed all along about how Crystal could have won a gold medal. If anything, she is devaluing all Olympic gold medals with her attitude and perfomance.
Old 10-24-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

She won the gold in the 4 x 400mm relay so she got "help".
Old 10-24-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I've been perplexed all along about how Crystal could have won a gold medal. If anything, she is devaluing all Olympic gold medals with her attitude and performance.
I called this when I first found out she was an ex-Olympian. People who train for one specific type of event tend to suck when taken out of their element. Put her in starting blocks and on a level track and she'll do fine but running around in the dirt with a 200 pound snake on her back just wasn't in any of her training regimens. She couldn't even make it up the hill in the very first event.
Old 10-24-08, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crystal only ran the qualifying heat of the 4 x 400, so she was the fifth or sixth ranked runner on the team (but she still got a gold medal for her efforts). Fang was doomed once Gillian selected Crystal, who then picked Susie. That has to be the worst run of team picking that I've seen on the show. The shake-up was a nice change of pace, but Fang is still losing. Hopefully, things will pickup when the merge happens, but next week's episode looks interesting.
Old 10-24-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Interesting. I never knew that the ones who ran only in heats up to the final also got medals.
Old 10-24-08, 10:11 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If the USOC sees their contributions drop, they have only to look at Crystal for the reason why. Not only is she terrible in the challenges, she is classless as exhibited when they showed the votes. This is still a very interesting season though. It's cool that we now see how close the elephants are to the contestants. Usually you just see some animals running around which could be miles away, but now we're seeing them in the same shot as the survivors.
Old 10-24-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
Reward was a variation on the "surf chase" that was so awesome in Palau.

That was an awesome challenge. The rising tide made it more difficult. If they had to do this one through water with these teams, the Fang members would have quit in the first 2 minutes.
Old 10-24-08, 01:26 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Why were they saying there were only 9 days left? Or was I mishearing things?

Is that 9 days till the merge? this was in reference to how much rice they had let.
Old 10-24-08, 02:04 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Why were they saying there were only 9 days left? Or was I mishearing things?

Is that 9 days till the merge? this was in reference to how much rice they had let.
I think you nailed it. They were referring to how many days until the expected merge.
Old 10-24-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I thought they were saying that there would be 9 people left when they merged.
Old 10-24-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be glad for the merge. Watching Fang loose every week isn't much fun. I want to see the Super Tribe crack.
Old 10-24-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Poor turtle, I didn't think they would eat him.
Old 10-24-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Interesting. I never knew that the ones who ran only in heats up to the final also got medals.
That got some coverage this year in the swimming relays.

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I thought they were saying that there would be 9 people left when they merged.
I think that was Matty and Ace speculating for strategic maneuvering?
Old 10-24-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mugwump
I called this when I first found out she was an ex-Olympian. People who train for one specific type of event tend to suck when taken out of their element. Put her in starting blocks and on a level track and she'll do fine but running around in the dirt with a 200 pound snake on her back just wasn't in any of her training regimens. She couldn't even make it up the hill in the very first event.
I may have the only one that noticed but look back at the challenge where they had to slide down the hill and get something out of the water and run back up. You'll see Crystal getting owned in that event too, I believe by Jackie or Corrine. I understand that running with a 200lbs snake or running up hills wasn't part of her regimine. But that does not change the fact that she is an athlete. So she should still be able to do the things that the challenges ask for better than pretty much everyone else. Meanwhile she's shown to be a completely weak competitor that quits on challenges.

I can't remember many castaways like Crystal, GC and Kelli. They simply don't try at all on the challenges. I can understand the weak players that try to give it their all but fail miserably because they get too tired too quickly. Here you have three people that just quit whenever they want.

And how can she go around saying that her crying wasn't a sign of weakness. It is the biggest sign of weakness to break down and start crying in front of both tribes.
Old 10-24-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
That was an awesome challenge. The rising tide made it more difficult. If they had to do this one through water with these teams, the Fang members would have quit in the first 2 minutes.
One of my all-time favorite Survivor moments, and the point when Tom the firefighter became a legend.
Old 10-26-08, 10:16 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Lately I've been watching just to see the few minutes of screen time that Randy gets.

I know this is weird to say, but he's the most likable unlikable character Survivor has ever had (with Shane close behind).

Kelli sucked too, but she had a great line at TC: "I'm not saying you're a quitter. Just that you're unstable."
Fixed.
Old 10-26-08, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I'll be glad for the merge. Watching Fang loose every week isn't much fun. I want to see the Super Tribe crack.
Don't think that'll be happening any time soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.