Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Star Wars: The Old Republic

Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves

New Bioware Star Wars game?

What we know so far:

* The project originated just after KOTOR II launched in 2005. SW:TOR is reportedly the reason Electronic Arts paid $860 million to purchase BioWare and Pandemic.
* The game takes place 300 years after the first KOTOR, which puts it 3,600 years before the film's story.
* You can choose between two factions, the Galactic Republic or the re-energized Sith Empire. You can also align yourself as a Dark or Light Side character in either situation. Two classes have been revealed: Jedi and Sith, both of which can use lightsabers and the Force early on
<embed id="mymovie" width="432" height="362" flashvars="playerMode=embedded&movieAspect=4.3&flavor=EmbeddedPlayerVersion&skin=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/media_player/proteus/one/skins/gamespot.png&paramsURI=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamespot.com%2Fpages%2Fvideo_player%2Fxml.php%3Fid%3D6199708%26mode%3Demb edded%26width%3D432%26height%3D362%2F" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" name="mymovie" style="" src="http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/media_player/proteus/one/proteus2.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

10 Minutes Long Video with the Game Designers!

Also posted this in the 360 Thread but this game deserves it's own thread.

Last edited by Kicker_of_Elves; 10-22-08 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-21-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves

Also posted this in the 360 Thread but this game deserves it's own thread.

Considering it's a PC MMO - it probably doesn't belong in the 360 thread
Old 10-21-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't even see that it was PC based.
Old 10-21-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
From Gamespot's article -

Launch date TBA, console versions TBD
Last week, Dragon Age was confirmed as coming to the PC early next year and to the 360 and PS3 later that holiday season, casting The Old Republic's 2009 target window into doubt. Indeed, LucasArts and BioWare have now backed away from the previously attributed launch window, which was first proffered in a 2007 Information Week interview.
When the possibility of a console version came up, the infamous wall of BioWare secrecy was raised. "The PC version is all we've talked about so far," was the most Zeschuk would say.
A 360 version wouldn't surprise me as coming down the pipe sooner or later.
Old 10-21-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMO = no sale for me. But for those enjoy 'em, I'm sure this will be a lot of fun.
Old 10-21-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice! A Star Wars MMO is sure to succeed.
Old 10-21-08, 05:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleGramps
MMO = no sale for me. But for those enjoy 'em, I'm sure this will be a lot of fun.
This. I refuse to pay for a game I've already paid for.
Old 10-21-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Woh - it's an MMO?

Here's hoping it's infinitely better than SWG.
Old 10-21-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bioware + KOTOR + MMO = Me Psyched! I don't even need to know anything other than that and I am already willing to get this Day One!
Old 10-21-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Nice! A Star Wars MMO is sure to succeed.
Well played.
Old 10-21-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Damn! MMO = No Sale.
Old 10-21-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm thrilled that Bioware is back on this. I was upset that they are going in a different direction but it still sounds interesting.

Don't kid yourself though. I'm sure the slight name change, and lack of returning characters some 300 years later, will give them an out if the game fails. They'll turn around and make KOTOR 3.
Old 10-21-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I'm thrilled that Bioware is back on this. I was upset that they are going in a different direction but it still sounds interesting.

Don't kid yourself though. I'm sure the slight name change, and lack of returning characters some 300 years later, will give them an out if the game fails. They'll turn around and make KOTOR 3.
I'm still waiting for Sega to return Phantasy Star to its roots...
Old 10-21-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Color me completely uninterested in an MMO.

I don't have the time or inclination to spend a monthly fee on something. I also fully realize it would be like crack cocaine and i would need an intervention.
Old 10-21-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm still waiting for Sega to return Phantasy Star to its roots...
I learned long ago that waiting on a title from Sega is probably a lose/lose situation.
Old 10-21-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I was done with MMO's with WoW. Not interested in ths one.
Old 10-21-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Are people that surprised? It's been rumored for awhile now that the next "Knights" game form Bioware was going to be an MMO.
Old 10-21-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
I never have and never will understand the complaints about the horrors of paying $14.95 a month for an MMO. It is less than .50 cents a day!!

Do people think that all the future content, missions, costumes, etc should be free?? How about the money required just to keep multiple servers up and running/mission or bug fixes etc??

I at the thought of playing a Bioware Star Wars MMO. All comparisons to Sony's failure should be disregarded.
Old 10-21-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I never have and never will understand the complaints about the horrors of paying $14.95 a month for an MMO. It is less than .50 cents a day!!

Do people think that all the future content, missions, costumes, etc should be free?? How about the money required just to keep multiple servers up and running/mission or bug fixes etc??

I at the thought of playing a Bioware Star Wars MMO. All comparisons to Sony's failure should be disregarded.
Don't people pay a monthly fee for Xbox Live? I know that's for multiple games to play online, but to me an MMO is no different. You get quite a bit of new added content during the times between expansion packs.
Old 10-21-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I too will pass on the MMO genre. Plus my PC won't be able to run it anyways. At least not until I get a new PC for Diablo III.
Old 10-22-08, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Don't people pay a monthly fee for Xbox Live? I know that's for multiple games to play online, but to me an MMO is no different. You get quite a bit of new added content during the times between expansion packs.
15$ a month is dramatically different than like 40$ for a year of Live. It also just galls me a little to pay 180$ a year and then 60$ for one single game.

My other reason is time. MMOs require significantly more time than playing other games. During the school year i mostly only play on weekends. In an MMO that would mean i would be so far behind it wouldn't be fun.
Old 10-22-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
15$ a month is dramatically different than like 40$ for a year of Live. It also just galls me a little to pay 180$ a year and then 60$ for one single game.

My other reason is time. MMOs require significantly more time than playing other games. During the school year i mostly only play on weekends. In an MMO that would mean i would be so far behind it wouldn't be fun.
I didn't realize Live was that cheap. Do you have to pay a year at once to get that price - I thought the month by month charge was more.

I won't disagree on the time "sink" of MMO's. I was hooked on WoW like crack when it came out and spent way too much time on it. And even then it took me for ever to hit level 60. Between movies, trying to write and record music, console games, household stuff, etc, I just don't have 20 hours a week for an MMO just to grind. But I will still see what the SW game is like since I am a rabid huge SW fan.
Old 10-22-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I didn't realize Live was that cheap. Do you have to pay a year at once to get that price - I thought the month by month charge was more.

I won't disagree on the time "sink" of MMO's. I was hooked on WoW like crack when it came out and spent way too much time on it. And even then it took me for ever to hit level 60. Between movies, trying to write and record music, console games, household stuff, etc, I just don't have 20 hours a week for an MMO just to grind. But I will still see what the SW game is like since I am a rabid huge SW fan.
I think if you pay monthly it is like 7 or 8$ a month. It retails at 49.99 for a year if you buy it directly through the console or pay full price for a card. Many places though will have sales on the cards to where i have seen them as cheap as 30$ for a year. For example, my best deal was last year when i got the Vision camera with a 13 month subscription to Live for 29.99$.

edit: I used to MUD back in my college days and play BBS games before that so the rise of a graphic MUD (an MMO) that you had to pay for just bothered me since all the text MUDs were free. That and it consumed literally days of my life in college so i know 100% that i should avoid MMOs now. Being on the PC makes them easier for me to avoid since i don't PC game much. If they came out with a fee-less 360 mmo it would be tough for me to avoid. Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast was something i played a ton.

Last edited by xmiyux; 10-22-08 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-22-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I didn't want to pay $15 a month for a game either. I checked the other night and I have 880 hours of WoW gameplay. I'm getting my money's worth, and I'm a very casual WoW player.
Old 10-22-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
If you pay for a year up front on an MMO they way you do with Live then it is cheaper than $15 a month. Still a lot more than $40/year but just want the comparison to be fair. $15 a month for a good MMO doesn't bother me in the least anyways though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.