Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ebay Shipping to Portugal?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone asked what the charge would be to ship to portugal.
I really did not plan to ship out of the US, should I worry of Scamming?
It is a semi-Rare LP, which I expect to get around $100 for, so I want to
know if there are any percautions I can take.
Old 10-21-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nothing is covered when you send overseas, roll of the dice. The buyer can scam you more often customs steals stuff
Old 10-21-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure you don't accept paypal

check the usps website for estimated shipping
Old 10-21-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've shipped to Portugal twice. No problem but I accept sales worldwide. If you're not interested, just say so. I assume the only shipping option in your listing is the US. Paypal claims to give sellers some protection in other countries if certain conditions are met.
Old 11-01-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
Paypal claims to give sellers some protection in other countries if certain conditions are met.
Erm. Expect to NOT meet those conditions. Some of those conditions are unreasonable. If you can trust the person to meet those conditions, you might as well just do a COD with a personal check.

Portugal has never been a problem with us. Honestly, I ship 15-or-so int'l packages per week, for the past few years. Before that, probably 5-or-so a week for the previous three years. I'd say that 1/3 of those go to countries that I'd consider 'sketchy' (Africa, some of Asia, South America). I haven't had a chargeback in like five years. Seems to me that I shipped some cell phones to Russia and the guy did a $110 chargeback.

PayPal's signup process has become relatively safe. It's not just just as easy as "here's the cc #, give me my account and send the funds". Nowadays, the sketchy guys (well, almost everyone) has to sign up credit cards, verify their $1.95 cc charge (which they need access to the credit card's online/phone statement) and put a bank account on file.

The guy probably just wants a good album.

All that said - just tell him that he needs to Western Union the money. There's just a 15%-or-so fee that he needs to pay. If he's not okay with that, he's probably fraud. If he does agree to WU the money, you probably could have just taken PayPal.

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 11-01-08 at 04:32 PM.