Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men -- "The Mountain King" -- 10/19/2008

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mad Men -- "The Mountain King" -- 10/19/2008

I thought it was a very interesting episode, getting more of a back story on Don is always nice. Anyone think Joan and Sterling are going to get back together? I felt so bad for Joan at least Sterling treated her right, not like Greg the doctor. Anyone have any thoughts on the whole "baptism" of sorts Don went through at the end.

Last edited by Jeffy; 10-20-08 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-20-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I can't believe there wasn't even a thread on this until now. GREAT ep.--They have made Don a fascinating character.

In other Mad Men news:

'Mad Men' Stars Have No Contracts

By Roger Friedman

There may not be any more "Mad Men" if deals aren't cut soon.
The popular cult series on AMC about the world of advertising in the early 60s is at a crossroads. Producer Lionsgate and network AMC not only have no contract with series creator Matthew Weiner, they don't have deals with the cast as well.

Whoops! There was a flurry of activity this morning as Lionsgate and AMC announced to the wire services that they wanted Weiner and the show back and were trying to make a deal.
But the reality is, the network has no agreements with stars Jon Hamm and John Slattery, or any of the other cast members. Hamm and Slattery were each nominated for Emmys this year, and Hamm won the Golden Globe last January (although that's not so hard to get if you're persistent and have a catering truck, but that's another story).

Hamm in particular poses a problem since he's turned into a huge break-out star. If "Mad Men" ended right now, the 36-year-old actor could go to movies and easily become the next George Clooney. This puts AMC and Lionsgate in a strange position to renegotiate Hamm's contract. It's going to cost them more than they've probably ever paid for anything.

As for Weiner and the show itself, if Lionsgate and AMC don't come up with the right deal, there's always the chance that "Mad Men" could wind up on another network. HBO would pay just about anything to take it given their disappointing schedule right now. It's unclear whether Weiner's original contract prohibited him from moving the show to his old stomping grounds--he wrote and produced on "The Sopranos"-- but there are plenty of other options including F/X, Showtime and the major networks.
Old 10-20-08, 11:37 AM

There was a thread on Friday when I left work, but it probably got taken down being to long before broadcast. I saw last night that there was an agreement reached to do season 3, but I didn't see any specifics about Weiner or any cast members. I really enjoy watching it on AMC, it seems like there are very little commercial breaks, they do an encore presentation in case you miss the earlier or want to watch the later, I really hope they don't lose to series to anyone.
Old 10-20-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMC would be idiots not to sign everyone for how ever long Weiner wants the show to go.
Old 10-20-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dtv finally has Mad Men in HD!

Anyone catch that tip of the hat to Jon Hamm?
He's starring in the remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" ...
they showed the original during the episode.

Don just keeps getting more and more interesting.

What's up with Betts? Is there a reason why we were told she was bleeding?
Old 10-20-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Wasn't a health problem hinted at in Season 1?

The Joan rape scene was pretty intense.
Old 10-20-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dtv finally has Mad Men in HD!
How are you getting it? I don't see it anywhere, I still only see just the standard AMC channel.
Old 10-20-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would be interesting if Betty was pregnant.
Old 10-20-08, 02:04 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
How are you getting it? I don't see it anywhere, I still only see just the standard AMC channel.
I'd sure like to know too! I did not see it in HD but would LOVE it if I could...

Specifics?
Old 10-20-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm assuming it was in HD.. it was in full screen, they don't usually do that and I heard they were opening more channels in HD so I assumed AMC was one of them.
Old 10-20-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I have DTV and didn't see it in HD either.
Old 10-21-08, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It would be interesting if Betty was pregnant.
I'd be willing to bet that's the case.
Old 10-21-08, 07:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Another great ep.

I particularly liked the line to Betty from her friend "You are a horrible woman"

She is isn't she..

THis would be a crime if this show does not get renewed.. if it goes to HBO.. I would have to actually think about getting a subscription again...
Old 10-21-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This show quietly surprises me with every episode - it BETTER be back!
Old 10-21-08, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know but I hope she dies from it.
Old 10-21-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
This show isn't going anywhere. Trust me on that one. AMC knows they have a good thing, or as I call it Sopranos Redux, and they would be total fools not to keep it. Any network would love to have this show.
Old 10-22-08, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffy
There was a thread on Friday when I left work, but it probably got taken down being to long before broadcast. I saw last night that there was an agreement reached to do season 3, but I didn't see any specifics about Weiner or any cast members. I really enjoy watching it on AMC, it seems like there are very little commercial breaks, they do an encore presentation in case you miss the earlier or want to watch the later, I really hope they don't lose to series to anyone.
Yeah here's the story:

http://tv.ign.com/articles/921/921169p1.html

October 17, 2008 - The good news – AMC has renewed Mad Men for a third season!

The bad news – At this point, the show's acclaimed creator might not necessarily be with the show when it returns.

Variety reports that AMC has formally ordered a third season of the show, which is two weeks away from airing its second season finale. But in the meantime, there are behind the scenes negotiations between Lionsgate (who produce the series) and Matthew Weiner, who created and executive produces Mad Men.

There is no deal as yet for Weiner to stay on for Season 3, and as Variety puts it, "Weiner is looking for a raise commensurate with the white-hot level of acclaim (including the Emmy for drama series last month) and pop-culture buzz the show has generated."

Lionsgate is actually trying to secure Weiner for a new two-year deal, in the hopes they can leverage that into securing a quicker Season 4 order for Mad Men from AMC. Weiner in the meantime has recently met with studios and networks about possibly developing a new series, though that doesn't necessarily preclude him from also staying on with Mad Men.
Old 11-16-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Hells Bells Trudy!" I actually felt sorry for Pete in this episode. Some nice zingers in this one as well:

Alice Cooper(!): "You have your children to think of."
Roger: "I just have the one."
Alice Cooper: "Really."