How I Met Your Mother -- "Shelter Island" -- 10/20/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
How I Met Your Mother -- "Shelter Island" -- 10/20/08

"Shelter Island"
Spoiler:
After Stella and Ted make the spontaneous decision to get married in three days, the presence of their exes destroys what was to be the "happiest day of their lives.

Originally Aired: October 20, 2008
Old 10-20-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will be interesting to see how things play out tonight, and in the next couple of episodes.
Old 10-20-08, 06:46 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing annoying me already, from the preview commercials I've seen -
Spoiler:
Robin and Ted saying they may still have feelings for each other. Booooooo! Enough's enough with that. We KNOW she isn't the mother (Bob Saget calling her aunt in the future), and I didn't like the two of them together to start. Robin's way too good for him.
Old 10-20-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awww . . Poor Ted. Sucky ending for him but it resolves the story nicely.
Old 10-20-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I knew she'd end up with JD. Errr, Tony.
Old 10-20-08, 10:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I love Sarah Chalke, but thank god tonight was the end of Stella. The character became increasingly annoying as the story progressed.

Barney and Stella's sister was the highlight of the episode.
Old 10-21-08, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by aktick
One thing annoying me already, from the preview commercials I've seen -
Spoiler:
Robin and Ted saying they may still have feelings for each other. Booooooo! Enough's enough with that. We KNOW she isn't the mother (Bob Saget calling her aunt in the future), and I didn't like the two of them together to start. Robin's way too good for him.
Spoiler:
well, in an ep last season, future ted mentions that during the goat incident robin is living in his apartment. so i guess we'll have to endure another round of ted/robin... unless the moving in comes from a different direction. we'll see... but i agree that they need to just move on from that. she's not the mom, so there's no point in really dragging out the back-and-forths of their relationship.
Old 10-21-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts
So what about all the equations during Barney's DaVinci Code moment? Some of them are just 69 equations. Some of them are funny and clever. Here's what I've figured out:

suit↑ - Suit Up
The hot/crazy scale we've seen before
du^12f^6 - do you want to have sex? (On the chalkboard it's "du^12f^6 w/me?")
CH3CH2OH = OHOHOH - Ethanol (alcohol) equals Oh! Oh! Oh! (or Ho Ho Ho)
36-24-36 - Women's dimensions, numerous songs, etc.

Are these from a previous episode?
relationships ≈ freeway
fish ≈ women
the "No way/gross/ew/maybe" pie chart

And these I just don't get:
83% (Edit: Looks like it might be this, search for 83%. Edit 2: nm, looks like 83 is a running Barney joke)
(↑BAC)@f:TM->BS ∪ RS (I think that's a UNION at the end)

Last edited by TheBang; 10-21-08 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-21-08, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd B.
So what about all the equations during Barney's DaVinci Code moment? Some of them are just 69 equations. Some of them are funny and clever. Here's what I've figured out:

suit↑ - Suit Up
The hot/crazy scale we've seen before
du^12f^6 - do you want to have sex? (On the chalkboard it's "du^12f^6 w/me?")
CH3CH2OH = OHOHOH - Ethanol (alcohol) equals Oh! Oh! Oh! (or Ho Ho Ho)
36-24-36 - Women's dimensions, numerous songs, etc.

Are these from a previous episode?
relationships ≈ freeway
fish ≈ women
the "No way/gross/ew/maybe" pie chart

And these I just don't get:
83% (Edit: Looks like it might be this, search for 83%. Edit 2: nm, looks like 83 is a running Barney joke)
(↑BAC)@f:TM->BS ∪ RS (I think that's a UNION at the end)
The last one here, TM is probably Ted Moseby, BS is Barney Stinson, and RS is Robin Schbotsky

Relationship freeway was in a previous episode, fish comparisons to women are pretty common and have probably been used before.
Old 10-21-08, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm also glad that Sarah Chalke run on HIMYM is over. However, I don't like the fact that there are hinting more Ted/Robin stuff.

This show is becoming the comedic version of "Lost" in trying to decipher all of the clues from the flash forwards.
Old 10-21-08, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoyed the episode, but Stella had to go. Not really a fan of having the whole Ted/Robin thing possibly start over, when Barney pining for Robin. It's the same storyline as Ross/Rachel/Joey on Friends, although Barney is way more awesome than Joey.
Old 10-21-08, 06:55 AM

After we found out that Stella was not the mother, I rewound my DVR and paused it on the scene with his two future kids....

Spoiler:
There are numerous cameras and an amateur photography book. Also, there were statues of the Arc de Triumph and Eiffel Tower as well as Sacre Couer bookends.

Is the mother a photographer? Did the mother come from France? Did they meet in France? Did they just vacation in France?

There was also a big red train prominent in the picture...I wonder if that is a clue as well.
Old 10-21-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd B.
I saw one that was something like
? (don't recall) = HI5 (high five)

Glad to see Stella gone, but she left a swell guy like Ted for that douche? And where was her daughter while she was on the ferry?

Bad language
Spoiler:
DIE, YOU FUCKING CHEATING LYING BITCH TWAT

Poor Swarley. He had a huge chance to be with Robin again, and blew it. At least he got a threesome out of it.
Old 10-21-08, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I saw one that was something like
? (don't recall) = HI5 (high five)

Glad to see Stella gone, but she left a swell guy like Ted for that douche? And where was her daughter while she was on the ferry?

Bad language
Spoiler:
DIE, YOU FUCKING CHEATING LYING BITCH TWAT

Poor Swarley. He had a huge chance to be with Robin again, and blew it. At least he got a threesome out of it.
I was so hoping that when they slowly showed each person reading the letter to Ted that when Barney showed up, he would be wearing the championship belt.
Old 10-21-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Best scene in the episode. Finding out that the girl in the bed wasn't Stella's sister was a better twist than Stella leaving Ted.

I'm happy it ended this way. It sure sucks for Ted but it's better than them going back to Ted being a douche and leaving her for Robin. I don't think anything will come of the Robin/Ted situation. There may be a few awkward moments in the upcoming episodes but I doubt they'll get back together. I think it only came up to throw us all for a loop as to why Stella and Ted wouldn't be getting married.
Old 10-21-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me in as also glad this thing with Stella is over as she became more unlikeable with each episode. I'm OK if they do a weird tension thing w/ Ted-Robin as long as they don't go through the dating thing again while Ted resumes his search.

Otherwise, I still think the episode as a whole has been better than in recent weeks.
Old 10-21-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
"Count me in as also glad this thing with Stella is over as she became more unlikeable with each episode."

Same here.
Old 10-21-08, 10:05 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
I almost teared up at Robin's talk with Ted
Old 10-21-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

who was the actress who played stella's sister? she seemed familiar.
Old 10-21-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I honestly don't care who the mother is. I think this is a good stand alone show without the gimmick, and if the producers knew how good the show going to be, they would have just axed the whole Bob Saget/Kids narrative and called the show something else.
Old 10-21-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they painted themselves in a corner with the "Aunt Robin" line in the pilot. If that wasn't there, we would all still be wondering if Robin was the mother and it would make her and Ted's on & off again relationship actually mean something.
Old 10-21-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am starting to think that this series might end up like "Definitely, Maybe". The premise is that there is a guy talking to his daughter about three girls that he loved in the past, and the girl (and the audience) tries to figure out which one was her mother.

Spoiler:
In the movie, the guy and the mother get divorced, and he ends up with one of his other old girlfriends, with the blessing of his daughter. It wouldn't shock me if the mother and Ted are not together anymore in present time, and that he is with Aunt Robin.

Just as an aside, has Future Ted referred to the kids as anything other than "Kids", or have they referred to him as their father or "Dad"? I know that it is a stretch, but do we know for a fact that he is their father? I just think that there is going to be some kind of twist that allows Ted and Robin to be together.
Old 10-21-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^

Re. your spoiler: I don't think he would be referring to her as "Aunt Robin" if that were the case.

Interesting idea about the kids not being Ted's. Ted could then be with Robin without screwing up the storyline and Robin would be Aunt Robin to the kids. They would then have to be Barney's kids and the show is about how Ted met Barney's wife. But why would he be talking to Barney's kids about their mother? Maybe she dies?
Old 10-21-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan
I honestly don't care who the mother is. I think this is a good stand alone show without the gimmick, and if the producers knew how good the show going to be, they would have just axed the whole Bob Saget/Kids narrative and called the show something else.
I would be very upset if, after 4 seasons, they were to ditch the future Ted storyline.
Old 10-21-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kevin75
who was the actress who played stella's sister? she seemed familiar.
Daneel Harris. She was in One Tree Hill for a couple years, and was also in the 2nd Harold and Kumar movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.