Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Can D.C. Comics sue the producers of this upcoming movie - FRANKLYN?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a potential lawsuit when a movie has obviously stolen a direct character design of a D.C. Comics villain?

First, check out the cool-looking, Dark City-type trailer of FRANKLYN here and keep your eye out for the very stylish, creepy-looking goons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r866XlpBYa0

Now, look at following images of D.C. comics villain - THE SHADE (he's a villain of the Flash and the Justice League).

Besides this movie looking pretty awesome, isn't the character theft a potential lawsuit?
Old 10-18-08, 09:12 PM
Banned

I dont know but the movie looks really cool. I get a V for Vendetta vibe from it which is very good.
And its got Eva Green
Old 10-18-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DC (WB) wont do anything and it'll be a case and a half to try to make any legal item out of this. So nothing is going to happen.
Old 03-06-09, 06:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Can D.C. Comics sue the producers of this upcoming movie - FRANKLYN?

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I get a V for Vendetta vibe from it which is very good.
That is the vibe I got from the trailers although, having now seen it, the real situation is more complicated.

With regard to the similarity in visual stylings mentioned by the OP, I suspect that they may derive from an earlier common source i.e. a form of costume/uniform coincidentally used as the basis by the different artists involved.

Unsatisfactory, I admit, but I base this primarily on a vague familiarity I experienced when I saw the characters in the film. For the record, I was hitherto unaware of the JL character The Shade.
Old 03-06-09, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It kinda reminds me of Grim Fandango.
Old 03-06-09, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Wow, that looks wild.
Old 03-06-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The trailer video got pulled due to copyright .... go figure.
Old 03-06-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a new trailer that works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHFCZBKfugg
Old 03-06-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For some reason, the first thing that popped into my mind was that this was about a movie version of Franklin the Turtle ...
Old 03-06-09, 09:38 AM
Suspended

that movie looks sweet. never heard of the DC Comics one.
Old 03-06-09, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shade is a pretty cool DC character.

Can they sue. Sure.
Will they win? Who knows in this world.

No one sued Disney/Pixar over Wall-E taking styling cues from Johnny Five so I doubt it.
Old 03-07-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think DC could make the case for a case. There are some guys with top hats and the other guy with the mask (which some could say looks like Shade's face but also sort of looks like a skeleton face). But I didn't see the two put together. They especially don't have the power to block out light.

Add the fact the Shade doesn't have name recognition (the general public knows Joker, Lex Luthor, Dr. Octopus, etc), I don't think it worth it to try to sue on something that is a stretch to make the connection.

The thing about super heroes is, it is probably hard to own a character's abilities. Both Marvel & DC have characters that have (or very close to) the same powers. Aquaman & Submariner, Plasticman & Mr Fantastic, Flash & Quicksilver, etc. If you think of The Incredibles, they seemed to be just a variation of Fantastic Four. Both had strong tough characters, elastic characters, invisible girls. The baby even has Torch's power.
Old 03-09-09, 04:27 AM
Mod Emeritus

Tangent

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Shade is a pretty cool DC character.
Just to clarify, I've never heard of The Shade portrayed in that action model shown above. I have heard of, and read the DC/Vertigo strip originating from Ditko's "Shade: The Changing Man".

Bringing things back around from comicbook characters to movies.... I know there was a Constantine film already but, maybe after Watchmen, they'll think about filming some of those whacky Vertigo strips e.g. Shade! They needn't be big budget.

Indeed, the current "credit crunch" might at long last encourage a little more creativity for less cash and slow down or reverse the crazy amounts allegedly spent on mainstream film-making.
Old 03-09-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cool, Ian Curtis and Rorschach in a movie together!
Old 03-10-09, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

So after watching the trailer, am I to assume it's all in his head?

Spoiler:
After looking up info on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklyn), I guess that's mostly true:
Premise
Split between the parallel realities of contemporary London and the futuristic metropolis of Meanwhile City, Franklyn follows the tales of four characters. Jonathan Preest (Ryan Phillippe) is a masked vigilante who won't rest until he finds his nemesis, Meanwhile City’s dangerous leader. Emilia (Eva Green) is a troubled young art student whose rebellion may turn out to be deadly. Milo (Sam Riley) is a heartbroken twentysomething yearning for the purity of first love. Peter (Bernard Hill) is a man steeped in religion, searching desperately for his missing son amongst London's homeless.

The film traces the intertwined fates of four lost souls as they move toward a cataclysmic collision of two worlds.
Reception
Rights to Franklyn were purchased from sales and financier HanWay Films by two distributors. Contender Films will distribute the film in the United Kingdom, and Seville Pictures will distribute the film in Canada. Both distributors operate under their parent company, Entertainment One. Franklyn premiered at the 52nd London Film Festival on 16 October 2008. The film will be commercially released in the United Kingdom on 27 February 2009. A release date for the United States has yet to be set.

Dave Calhoun of Time Out opined: "Produced by British industry veteran Jeremy Thomas, McMorrow’s admirable if not entirely coherent debut follows the lives of four people in and around London who are attempting to cope with various crises in their lives, from a relationship break-up and the search for a missing son to the psychological after-effects of military service. The film treads a fine line between realism and fantasy, occasionally dipping out of the world as we know it to visit a seductively strange vision of the capital that appears part-futuristic and part-medieval (and which gives the film its name). Riley follows ‘Control’ by leaning heavily on middle-distance stares and up-turned collars, while Green is a troubled art student with a good line in haute couture, and Philippe is a troubled ex-soldier. The main problem is that by the time this tricksy film finally plays its hand, many viewers may already have been lost at the wayside."

Derek Elley of Variety thought that the premise fit better as a novella rather than a feature film, believing that Franklyn lacked an emotional payoff. Elley criticized the script for not developing the ideas it introduced and for lacking background on the characters. The critic also considered Phillippe and Riley to be poor casting in their roles, while Green could not present her dual roles dramatically. Jason Solomons of The Observer reviewed the film, "The visual style is impressive but the storylines are thin and the characters all extremely irritating." Fionnuala Halligan of Screen International weighed in: "It's unusual in the current film-making climate to see an independent director making such an ambitious debut as Gerald McMorrow's Franklyn. He aims high, visually and conceptually, but a more experienced director would have trouble finding the right tone to pull this intricate plot off. Notices should be at least encouraging: McMorrow has pulled off a very handsome look on a limited budget."

Meh. Looks like a rainy day rental at best.
Old 03-10-09, 03:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So after watching the trailer, am I to assume it's all in his head? [....]
Spoiler:
Affirmative. But the film is more than that.
Originally Posted by RocShemp
[....] Meh. Looks like a rainy day rental at best.
I was glad I went to see it and found it the most enjoyable of what I've seen lately i.e. the latest Woody Allen, which I'd say fits your above description, and "Surveillance", which I did like for what it was.