Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Fringe -- "Power Hungry" -- 10/14/08

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Dangerous consequences of a man's peculiar ability to harness electricity draw the attention of Olivia, Peter and Dr. Bishop, whose unorthodox methods extend to including the use of homing pigeons to aid their investigation.

Old 10-14-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so I'm going to ad to the complaints about the locations not being remotely close to what they say. The opening scenes took place in Worcester, MA according to the show, yet the helicopter shot (when REO Speedwagon was playing and the later twilight shot) were clearly Hartford, CT. Weird that they did that just pointing it out. I liked the episode though, this show has really turned around for me starting with last week's episode, definitely will keep tuning in.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 10-14-08 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
Ok so I'm going to ad to the complaints about the locations not being remotely close to what they say. The opening scenes took place in Worcester, MA according to the show, yet the helicopter shot (when REO Speedwagon was playing and the later twilight shot) were clearly Hartford, CT. Weird that they did that just pointing it out. I liked the episode though, this show has really turned around for me starting with last week's episode, definitely will keep tuning in.
I wish I could say the same. My wife and I caught this tonight and both thought it was the most ridiculous show we've seen in some time. I guess we're supposed to suspend belief to believe there are things out there, but it just wasn't for us.
Old 10-14-08, 11:51 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
While I was watching this I noticed the season and then I remembered that it was snowing during the first episode.
Old 10-15-08, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Ah, fucksticks. Missed the episode.
Old 10-15-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The opening scenes took place in Worcester, MA according to the show, yet the helicopter shot (when REO Speedwagon was playing and the later twilight shot) were clearly Hartford, CT. Weird that they did that just pointing it out.
Well the elevator fall was like 26 stories. There isn't one building in downtown Worcester that has that many floors:

600 Main Street - 24 Floors (1991)
Worcester Plaza - 24 Floors (1974)
100 Front Street - 20 Floors (1971)

Also the apartment building he supposedly lived in was taller than most buildings in Worcester (most are lowrises). It really is a little sloppy when you consider shows like Bones which is never shot in DC but uses genuine establishing shots to pretend like they're there.

Not that I'm complaining, but does Joshua Jackson have something in his contract that says he has to be shown shirtless at least once an episode?
Old 10-15-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Ah, fucksticks. Missed the episode.
It is available online right now on hulu.com.
Old 10-15-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey can anyone in Boston tell me if the headquater building is in Boston, the one that has the white lights on it. I live in Miami and I swear its the building down here.
Old 10-15-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dr. Bishop shocking Peter on the forehead was funny as hell. I wondered why he was doing all that dancing in their room.
Old 10-15-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry C.
Hey can anyone in Boston tell me if the headquater building is in Boston, the one that has the white lights on it. I live in Miami and I swear its the building down here.
OK I found out that I was right. It's the Bank of America Tower (Miami) from wiki In the FOX television series Fringe, this building is referred to as the "Boston Federal Building".

Lame....

Here are some shots of said building......

Old 10-15-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh - this episode wasn't all that interesting. And what was with them saying how long the commercial breaks would be? Have they done that all episodes? This is the first i've seen on TV, the rest were on Hulu.

I also thought the Observer shot was waaaayyyy too obvious.
Old 10-15-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They've done that for all the commercial breaks, since it's brought to us with limited interruption... I like it a lot, I know how long to run and take a piss etc. or if I'm watching on dvr, I know I won't have to fast forward very far Decent enough episode but nothing amazing happened... Interested to see how far they take this John Scott in her head stuff...
Old 10-15-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought this was best episode so far. The is starting to grow on me. There is a cameo of someone that can be easily missed if you are not looking for it.
Old 10-15-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I thought this was best episode so far. The is starting to grow on me. There is a cameo of someone that can be easily missed if you are not looking for it.
the observer?
Old 10-15-08, 02:00 PM

Not a bad show, saw my first episode this week. Would definitely watch more, I like the slight(emphasis on slight) x-files feel to it.
Old 10-15-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have really mixed feelings about the show. I want to really like it. It is the perfect kind of show that I would normally like. It has some good elements. Some quirky stuff which appeals to me. I even like the suspended location signs and notices of how long the commercials will be.

But the stuff they do is so over the top silly. Like putting the pigeons in that tesla like contraption and then having them fly to the find the guy. And this stuff just keeps happening over and over. What gets me, is it does not need to be integral to the show for the story to make sense. If they have to create a mcGuffin to make a plot point, can't they use more common methods or at least something a little more believable?

The show has you suspend your disbelief in regards to the main plot storyline about the patterns. You can go along with the basic idea of the crazy scientist who worked on fringe science and then was locked up. Some sort of mysterious evil is out there. Government agency that allows one person to take bodies away for dissection, to be free lance it seems, a corporation that seems to be running things, etc etc etc. There is quite enough to cause you to think "wtf?"... but then they just throw in some other crazy shit that makes me think.. "ok.. now you are just screwing with me to see if I keep watching."

For now.. I will keep watching. I love quirky shows like Heroes and Lost. But this... I just hope it gets better.
Old 10-15-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Yeah there's some goofy corny shit in this show but I love it. I like all the characters, and I swear the Doctor reminds me of a Mad Scientist version of HOUSE MD. I mean he just comes up with answers to crazy ass shit seemingly out of nowhere* just like House does.

*Not actually nowhere since the show is centered around his past research. So in fact every week he gets a memory jog.
Old 10-15-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I love this show. Walter is just such a character.

I still think that Olivia is the weakest part, but this episode she was a little bit better.
Old 10-15-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well the elevator fall was like 26 stories. There isn't one building in downtown Worcester that has that many floors:

600 Main Street - 24 Floors (1991)
Worcester Plaza - 24 Floors (1974)
100 Front Street - 20 Floors (1971)

Also the apartment building he supposedly lived in was taller than most buildings in Worcester (most are lowrises). It really is a little sloppy when you consider shows like Bones which is never shot in DC but uses genuine establishing shots to pretend like they're there.

Not that I'm complaining, but does Joshua Jackson have something in his contract that says he has to be shown shirtless at least once an episode?
Interesting I've only been to Worcester a handful of times (why anyone would go more often is beyond me ) so I guess I'm more puzzled as to why they didn't just set the episode in Boston, and why they used footage of Hartford in two shots is just odd to me.
Old 10-15-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I agree this wasn't as good as the recent few.

I do think the John/Livia storyline - visions - plot line is interesting. I wonder how much of it is due to what the Doc suggested, and/or him still being kept alive.

By the way, when they were breaking into the lab at the end there was a poster/advert in the background. I couldn't tell exactly what it was but I think it was for that corporation. More hints?
Old 10-15-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
yeah, definitely not as good as the past 2 episodes, but still pretty cool. i just hope it doesn't get to formulaic where it's xxx happens, dr. bishop is like "oh, we did experiments like that in the past" and then he shows how they would've solved it.
Old 10-15-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like most of it except for the "woh ho ho let's take some pigeons and inject a nuclear bomb in them and now they know where he is" bits. The observer was a great cameo, and the dude was pretty neat, but I sort of wish some of these characters got away and kept wrecking havoc on the team. That guy was badass with his powers.
Old 10-15-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Protip: Places in fictional TV shows may not represent actual locations.
Old 10-15-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
Protip: Places in fictional TV shows may not represent actual locations.
lol, I don't get the complaint either. Locations are the least of this shows credibility issues. Deus Ex Machina is the biggest problem.

It was a watchable episode. Walter is a lot of fun, but nobody else is. Joshua Jackson's one liners still sound like sitcom zingers. I enjoyed the static shock and tire iron scenes, but neither required Jackson to speak.
Old 10-15-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The show is absurd, but it's getting closer to being well written and reasonably well acted absurdity with just about each episode. This one was a half step back, but that was okay after a leap forward.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.