Supernatural -- "Metamorphosis" -- 10/09/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Supernatural -- "Metamorphosis" -- 10/09/08

"Metamophosis"
Spoiler:
Sam and Dean discover that Jack Montgomery a family man is turning into a Rugaru, a creature that starts as a human but changes into a flesh-eating monster. The people who are infected don't understand what is happening until they turn into cannibals and eat another person. Understanding what it is like to be a victim of a twisted destiny, Sam believes he can reason with Jack and convince him to control his urges. Dean doesn't think Jack's animalistic behavior can be subdued and decides the only honorable thing to do is to shoot him.

Originally Aired: October 09, 2008
Old 10-09-08, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like another great episode...Can't wait!!!
Old 10-09-08, 10:48 PM
Zee

This episode, probably more than any other so far in the series, reminded me of "The X-Files" in that they were dealing with a (sort-of) human coping with new and extraordinary desires and abilities. I still can't believe how much gore, foul language, and partial nudity they get away with.

They also did the right thing by allowing us to hear Sam's side of things...I was beginning to worry that I would never be able to look at his character the same way. It does make it harder to see the brothers at odds (which is what they're going for, I'm sure).

The acting was excellent as always, despite Jensen using his growly voice a little too often (Christian Bale syndrome?). The scenes between the two of them are always superb. Loved the "hungry hungry hippos" line.

But for the love of GOD, was this girl really the best they could find for Ruby?? She is BEYOND bland. They can't even bear to give her more than one line an episode! RECAST PLEASE!!

Last edited by Zee; 10-10-08 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-10-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was pretty good but not as amazing as the past few weeks. The main story wasn't an interesting to me as a lot of past ones. The Sam/Dean stuff was good and Dean got a good 'acting' scene in there. I did like the level of gore/intensity in the final part of the Rugaru (sp?) plot though...
Old 10-10-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good episode, even if the Sam story arc for the rest of the season looks to be similar to Willow's story arc in season 6 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Old 10-10-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Zee
I still can't believe how much gore, foul language, and partial nudity they get away with.
A-FUCKING-MEN! I think that what sets this show apart from the rest of the networks. The Heroes scene where Sylar pokes around Claire's brain is kiddy stuff when compared to the gore on Supernatural.

Originally Posted by Zee
They also did the right thing by allowing us to hear Sam's side of things...I was beginning to worry that I would never be able to look at his character the same way. It does make it harder to see the brothers at odds (which is what they're going for, I'm sure).
At this stage, I don't entirely trust Sam. I get the feeling that he's not giving Dean the "whole story" on the extend of his abilites. Hell, we still don't know the extent of his relationship with Ruby. However, it will be interesting to see what type of "tramatic event" drives him over the edge.
Old 10-10-08, 04:26 PM

good episode but

Spoiler:
The only thing that bugged me was the attempted killing of the wife. I understand at that point he hadn't changed and it'd be hard to convince her that she had to have an abortion because her baby was some monster but deciding killing her was the best course was rather harsh and wrong.
Old 10-10-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Good episode, even if the Sam story arc for the rest of the season looks to be similar to Willow's story arc in season 6 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Let's hope they execute it a littler better than any Season 6 Buffy Storyline.
Old 10-10-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good episode, not on par with the ones that followed, but still better than most hour-long TV shows on air.

(..and even with Willow's ridiculous storyline in Season 6, it's still IMO the most underrated season of the show. It's (on DVD) become one of my favorites.)
Old 10-12-08, 05:54 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
pretty good standalone monster of the week ep which still advanced the story a bit
Old 10-12-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Zee
But for the love of GOD, was this girl really the best they could find for Ruby?? She is BEYOND bland. They can't even bear to give her more than one line an episode! RECAST PLEASE!!
And doesn't the new Ruby look like a female version of Sam or what? (Not sure if it's intentional and, if so, where they're going in using an actress who looks like she could be his sister.)
Old 10-13-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I just wonder if this episode is a larger foreshadowing of how they plan to take the show. Sam accepts his demon powers completely in order to save Dean, but ends up becoming evil or a demon himself because of it.