Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help...resume won't work on Sony BDP 350

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received my very first Blu ray dvd player and I've got it all set up and working well, but the resume feature doesn't seem to work and I'm not sure if I've missed something or need to return the player.

There doesn't seem to be any place to set up the resume feature in the menus and the manual seems to imply (it's not explained well) that it should be automatic.

However, I always get the same message when I push the stop button.

"Resume prohibited at this point..."

And the it states something about needing to start from the beginning. I thought maybe I was trying too early in the feature, so I went forward several chapters and it still did the same thing.

It mentions that some discs might not work, so I tried 3 others. I've tried it with Sex and the City, Iron Man, Across The Universe, and Kill Bill.

Always the same thing. It never allows me to resume and it's very frustrating.

Can anyone explain to me what might be the problem or has anyone had this experience before?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Discs with advanced content (which is most of them), cannot be resumed. It's a limitation of the format. There's nothing wrong with your player.
Old 10-08-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank
Discs with advanced content (which is most of them), cannot be resumed. It's a limitation of the format. There's nothing wrong with your player.
Thanks for the quick response.

I must say that that news is really disappointing and suprising. I'm very happy with the great pq and sound, but I really have gotten used to the resume feature, probably more than any other feature on my dvd players.

Sony players had this feature that allowed you to skip back a few secs with a push of the button which was great if you missed something and wanted to quickly hear or see it again. Some other players had zoom features, while others didn't. I could easily live without any of that stuff, but it's gonna be difficult getting used to not being able to resume movies.

Oh well, at least I know now and can stop going through the manual over and over again and looking at the menus wondering what in the world I was missing.
Old 10-09-08, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Most of the newer titles with advanced content, save for the ones released by Fox and Disney, are bookmark-capable. It's not quite as convenient as a full-on resume, but it's the next best thing.
Old 10-09-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I too was kinda bummed when I realized they didn't have resume. Especially sitting through all the forced attractions again. When I'm going to quit a movie in the middle I'll just note the time and then jump to whatever chapter that is. If it's long enough that I forgot the time where I left off I'll just watch it over again.
Old 10-09-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worse comes to worse, just push the green button on your remote - I believe this sets a bookmark for those types of titles.
Old 10-09-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
Worse comes to worse, just push the green button on your remote - I believe this sets a bookmark for those types of titles.
Unfortunately, Fox and Disney have yet to employ that feature.
Old 10-09-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for that Vipper II! It'd be nice if that could be made available via BD live - it IS just software after all.