Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Real McCain'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-08-08, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Kurt Dahlke's DVD review of The Real McCain at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34968 and...it is probably the most biased piece of shit I've ever read on this website.

Which is saying something.
Old 10-08-08, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
I read Kurt Dahlke's DVD review of The Real McCain at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34968 and...it is probably the most biased piece of shit I've ever read on this website.

Which is saying something.
Considering the self-absorbed, right-wing rantings on your Web site, I'm not surprised you didn't like the review.

I just wish Kurt had been more pointed in what a fraud and failure McCain is.
Old 10-08-08, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, is that shit what passes for an unbiased review? Seriously, can anyone on either side of the fence possibly think that was reasonable?

This election is getting so silly and I'm getting sick of politics bleeding over into Other and Movie Talk. The fact that it's infected the reviews now it seriously disappointing.
Old 10-08-08, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Man, is that shit what passes for an unbiased review?
It's not unbiased, it doesn't claim to be unbiased, and I don't think there's any reason why it should be unbiased.

While I do think it's very clear where Kurt stands, I don't think he went overboard with political jabs, and...at the end of the day, the point of a disc like this is to evoke a strong reaction. I don't think a sterile, rote description without that sort of emotional response does anyone reading it any good.
Old 10-08-08, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A critic, whose job is expressing his opinion of a work, is getting lambasted for doing just that.

I'm not surprised in the least, nor am I surprised that the two detractors in this thread were so unable to articulate their distaste that they immediately resorted to cursing like children. DeputyDave and DarkestPhoenix, your behavior does not become you.
Old 10-08-08, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It's not unbiased, it doesn't claim to be unbiased, and I don't think there's any reason why it should be unbiased.
Seriously? I'm not a McCain fan by any means but I can't conceive of anyone not finding that simple propaganda and a worthless review.

Video: Unimportant? Audio: Also beside the point?

That coupled with the fact that only a few sentences actually deal with the content of the DVD illustrate that the "reviewer" is simply using it as a forum to push a particular political agenda.

I mean, I hate Bush and God as much as the next guy but can we keep this crap in Politics forum?
Old 10-08-08, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really have no comment on the review - just wanted to add that the few sentences about Y2K/meeting neighbors (for the first time or for plans)? was hilarious.
Old 10-08-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by beesonosu
I really have no comment on the review - just wanted to add that the few sentences about Y2K/meeting neighbors (for the first time or for plans)? was hilarious.
Thanks! We'd met the neighbors previously, so this was meeting strictly to plan for the apocalypse ... with cookies.

Now, at last one of my reviews has provoked a strong response!

Yes, the review is biased, and it went through several levels of edit first to tone it down, then to bring it back to life a bit.

All reviews reflect bias, and to expect a review of a DVD, the sole purpose of which is to discredit a candidate, to not have bias is pretty silly. The review could be for, against, or boring and spineless.

OK - Here's my non-biased review:

The Real McCain is a string of Youtube videos of poor audio and video quality. High-quality interview segments join the videos together, using dialog intended to empower the viewer to exact some sort of change in the political process. As a piece of propaganda, points are made through judicious selective processes. The viewer must determine if the DVD is effective. Two-and-a-half stars.
Old 10-08-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,209 Posts
Man, is that shit what passes for an unbiased review? Seriously, can anyone on either side of the fence possibly think that was reasonable?

This election is getting so silly and I'm getting sick of politics bleeding over into Other and Movie Talk. The fact that it's infected the reviews now it seriously disappointing.
Obviously I agree with you that the election is getting silly, and I'm sick of it too (or did you skip the first paragraph of my piece of shit?). So you're suggesting that a review of an election-based DVD somehow not bleed over into the reviews?

Employ your own shit-censorship and don't read a review called The Real McCain if you don't want politics in your movie reviews.
Old 10-08-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't live in the U.S..
I don't care much about the election.
I don't care much about McCain or Obama.
I read most of the reviews for new DVDs that pop up as little icons at the top of the page when I'm browsing the forums--especially if I hadn't heard of the movie before.
So now you know my position.
Accusing me of being a lapdog for either side is merely presenting your own agenda--not mine. I'm not voting in the election--you've got two fools running against each other, and I'm not going to be a third one that wastes my time on either one of the other two.

Bias is fine in reviews, as long as it's spelled out in the beginning (good reviewers do this as a courtesy for the reader because it presents some appropriate context). The thing is, that's talking about bias with regard to *movies* (and similar things on DVD), since this is basically a *movie* review site. You know, what movies/TV shows you like, why you like them, what actors/directors you like, etc..
This particular review was not filled with *movie* bias.
It was filled with political bias.
That's different, and as such, I'm surprised and disapppointed that it's allowed on this website.
If I want to read about people's political points of view, I'll head into the mire of the Politics forum on this site, or check out the other million or so of them out there on the rest of the internet.

There was virtually no review of the quality of the material or the validity of the sources of the information, or whether the information is presented in context or out of it, or much information about how and why and by whom this DVD was created.
Instead, about 90% of the text is modern double-speak of "empowering change" that really means "vote Democrat." Don't show it to your friends because it is a good movie, but show it to them so that their opinion will be swayed and they will vote against McCain. "Get out and vote [if you're on MY side]."

(Side note: it would be nice if elections were once again about voting *for* someone, instead of voting *against* the other person.)

If you don't know what being a critic is about, then just walk away. It's not about pushing an agenda to get other people to think your way. It's about finding the good, the bad, and the ugly of, in this case, a DVD. You're not here to educate me. You're here to inform me. Learn the difference.

The reviewer should be ashamed, and the people supporting him should *try* to take off their political blinders and recognize the fact that this was not a review of a DVD. It was a puff piece designed to push a point of view.

If there were a Disney fanatic who had reviewed a Disney DVD and didn't present much information about the DVD or the quality of the story or animation, but instead had just raved about how awesome Disney is and how everyone should support such a wonderful company and purchase whatever crap they put out, that reviewer would be appropriately panned. Stop defending and praising this one.

I thought about quoting sections of the review to back up my points, but why bother? The entire thing backs up my points--especially the "Final Thoughts." But other than that, here's my favorite: "Moveon.org...[is] focused on simply making positive changes in our government by once again involving the people." Seriously? No, I mean it: seriously? No, stop, I really, REALLY mean it: SERIOUSLY?!
Old 10-08-08, 12:44 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Back up what points? Dahlke clearly indicates the DVD is partisan and why he thinks it's important (oh, and that the video and sound are nothing to write home about ... and why that's unimportant in his opinion). Sounds pretty straightforward to me.
Old 10-08-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Man, is that shit what passes for an unbiased review?
There's no such thing as an unbiased review. Every reviewer brings his or her own opinions/ideas. I think the question you want to ask is "Is it a fair review?" Since the writer doesn't attempt to shield his political slant from the reader, I believe it is.
Old 10-08-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's obvious a lot of stuff being released to the public about the candidates is made up of half-truths and innuendo, but this election is too important to let reality step in the way.