Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HT audio system for bedroom

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 06:19 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Could anyone recommend me a good 2.1 HT system for a medium size bedroom? I don't want to deal with a lot of wires so I guess a 5.1 system would be out of the question, unless wireless speakers provide good sound?

I would only use it to watch DVDs/Blu-rays and TV. Thanks!
Old 10-08-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
budget?

do you have a receiver?

why not a 3.1 system? at least then you get dialog out of the center and the mains can handle the rest.

2.1 means 2 fronts and a sub. so you will have a sub in your bedroom? or do you want a 2.0 system (no sub)?
Old 10-08-08, 09:10 AM

Ideally, I'd like to spend under 500$. I don't have a receiver. I'd like to have a sub but I could live without one. A 3.1 system would be fine with me. I'm open to anything since I don't know much about this.
Old 10-08-08, 09:42 AM

what model is your tv? what are you connecting to the receiver? would you consider used speakers?

where can you buy from (you are in canada)? what online stores can i look at that ship to you easily? what stores are local to you?

for that budget I would forget a sub.
Old 10-08-08, 10:56 AM

My TV is a Samsung 4665 LCD. I would connect my HD cable box and my PS3 to the receiver. Futureshop and Bestbuy would be the main stores I could buy from. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-08-08, 02:33 PM

The hard part for me is that you are in Canada. I can point you to some products you can buy from the US without any problem.

Amazon has this receiver which has 2 HDMI inputs for $200. Gets great reviews.

Yamaha

Since you are in Canada, search for a Paradigm dealer. Find a pair of Paradigm Atoms, either v5 or v6. They retail at $299/pair and you should be able to get v5s for $250.

Read this review

There is your 2.0 system.

Save up a few bucks and pick up the Paradigm CC-190 center speaker down the line. Or, buy a USED cc-170. You are bound to be able to find one at a very reasonable cost.
Old 10-09-08, 01:25 PM

Actually I thought about it last night and I think a 5.1 set would be fine. I found a way to hide the wires for the rear speakers. Which "home theater in a box" would you recommend?

My only criteria would be that the speakers be small so I can put them on shelves or easily mount them on a wall.
Old 10-09-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt you'll find one that sounds half as good as the Yamaha/Paradigm 2.0 combo mentioned above. Or possibly a Boston Acoustics set of bookshelf speakers, or SVS, or AV123 if they still have anything in the price range. There are others, as well. It's all about the speakers.
Old 10-10-08, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
I doubt you'll find one that sounds half as good as the Yamaha/Paradigm 2.0 combo mentioned above. Or possibly a Boston Acoustics set of bookshelf speakers, or SVS, or AV123 if they still have anything in the price range. There are others, as well. It's all about the speakers.
agreed. read the review on those Atoms I posted. I would rather buy the system I mentioned piece by piece than any HTIB system ever.

Anything Spiky mentioned will be better than any HTIB.

You can also look at the Paradigm Cinema series.

The problem is your budget.

Look for used speakers. You'll get way more speaker when you are on a tight budget and since the type of speakers you are looking for are entry level, a lot of people start there and upgrade so there are good speakers in your price range out there in the market.

I wouldnt buy a receiver used but I would buy speakers.