Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Die Welle (or in English, The Wave).

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

German film based on a book based on an infamous - and disputed - social experiment that took place in a Californian classroom in the 1960s. The teacher essentially turns his class into a fascist movement to prove to them that something like the Third Reich could happen again.

It's a really, really good kind of modern morality play, so while it doesn't feel wholly believable (though if you believe the scattered evidence and reports from the 60s experiment, it's not so far from the truth), it's very interesting to watch and engrossing too. You don't feel disengaged from the characters and that gives the film even more resonance than it would have anyway.

Highly recommended. Try to find somewhere that's showing it.
Old 10-07-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts
Thanks, this looks very interesting and I will definitely look for it.
Old 10-07-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by orderandlaw
German film based on a book based on an infamous - and disputed - social experiment that took place in a Californian classroom in the 1960s. The teacher essentially turns his class into a fascist movement to prove to them that something like the Third Reich could happen again.

It's a really, really good kind of modern morality play, so while it doesn't feel wholly believable (though if you believe the scattered evidence and reports from the 60s experiment, it's not so far from the truth), it's very interesting to watch and engrossing too. You don't feel disengaged from the characters and that gives the film even more resonance than it would have anyway.

Highly recommended. Try to find somewhere that's showing it.
So this is basically a German remake of an American made-for-tv movie based on a article based on true events? That's so odd in its own way Seems the German one takes it a bit further. Will check it out. (Saw the made for TV one a couple times in school)

Last edited by RichC2; 10-07-08 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-07-08, 09:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For some reason, the old After School Special The Wave is enormously popular in Europe and is often shown in schools.
I look forward to seeing this German take on it.
Old 10-07-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed the American made-for-TV version when I saw it in school back in the day. The only time I've seen it since online, it had German subtitles.
Old 10-07-08, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
So this is basically a German remake of an American made-for-tv movie based on a article based on true events? That's so odd in its own way Seems the German one takes it a bit further. Will check it out. (Saw the made for TV one a couple times in school)
Interesting, I hadn't heard of that. From what I understand, the German film is an independent adaptation of Todd Strasser's novel, rather than a remake of the US production. Still, I'll have to try and find the made-for-TV movie to see what it's like.