Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles -- "Goodbye to All That" -- 10/6/08

Terminator

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Derek and John try to protect a member of the resistance by infiltrating a military academy. Meanwhile, Ellison's first assignment for Weaver uncovers a specter from his past.

Old 10-06-08, 08:04 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hopefully this isn't the last new episode aired.

Baseball next week...
Old 10-06-08, 08:45 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
prophetic episode title?
Old 10-06-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Isn't this also the first "new" episode with the others being leftovers from S1 because of the strike?
Old 10-06-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by gmanca
Isn't this also the first "new" episode with the others being leftovers from S1 because of the strike?
No, they only wrote and filmed 9 episodes last season because of the strike. Josh Friedman, the creator of the show, did not partipicate in the show last season also because of the strike.

All 13 episodes scheduled this season are new
Old 10-06-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
This was a very good episode. I want more like it in the future.
Old 10-06-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Very good episode. Wife wanted to watch this instead of Chuck tonight. Good choice. Next week looks to get Cameron back into action, with a bit of humor, too.
Old 10-06-08, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
No, they only wrote and filmed 9 episodes last season because of the strike. Josh Friedman, the creator of the show, did not partipicate in the show last season also because of the strike.

All 13 episodes scheduled this season are new
Gotcha, thanks for the info!

Don't mean to alarm, but I can't get a listing for next week, but I can for Heroes.
Old 10-06-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gmanca
Gotcha, thanks for the info!

Don't mean to alarm, but I can't get a listing for next week, but I can for Heroes.

MLB playoffs on Fox.
Old 10-06-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The kid playing the 360 said EFK (that's what it said in the closed caption). What does that acronym mean? Maybe the CC people just blew it and it was supposed to be AFK
Old 10-06-08, 11:00 PM

LOL, I forgot about the NLCS!

Great episode and I really liked the preview for the episode in two weeks. One thing that's bugging me is the consistent talk about the future, details of things to happen but they can't be stopped.
Old 10-06-08, 11:13 PM

That was a great episode. Hopefully, the title is not prophetic.
Old 10-06-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe we need to be writing to Dodge to tell them, thank for supporting an awesome show.

I would hate see this one go away. That was the best episode of the two seasons, but even the ones that weren't as good were better than the alternative.
Old 10-06-08, 11:48 PM

My second favorite ep. of the series, just slightly behind last season's finale. Could have been the best if not for yet another season 2 WTF?! moment--this time when Derek gets a job within minutes of walking into that military school.

Could have done with the heavy-handed moments at the end with Sarah and the kid (his head on her shoulder? then lap? REALLY?), but everything else was quality, from the pacing, to the action, to the actually-decent scenes with Manson. (And no stupid pregnant girl subplots! YAY!)

Deleted it from season pass after last week's train wreck, but glad I flipped to it between innings of the baseball game. Will definitely be checking out next weeks.

Question: Bad sign that the only commercials were from Dodge? Think the show knows it's run is almost over and had to squeeze a season's-worth of Dodge ads?
Old 10-07-08, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was a fantastic episode. I could care less about what happened with Sarah and that little kid, but the plot revolving around John and Derek was great. I wish they did that more; show parts of the future and then relate it back to the present and members that will play a part in the resistance.

Also, I'm really digging the Ellison subplot. I'm pretty much convinced that he has a big part in the creation of SkyNet, and I feel like he realizes he is involved in something bigger and yet he isn't sure what side he is supposed to be on. I think his relationship with SkyNet could turn out to be very interesting.

Originally Posted by Bigsierra
The kid playing the 360 said EFK (that's what it said in the closed caption). What does that acronym mean? Maybe the CC people just blew it and it was supposed to be AFK
The closed captioning got it wrong; he said AFK.
Old 10-07-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was interesting sans the kid part. But the end really got me, when he said that they'd die for John. The story made a giant leap with that scene.
Old 10-07-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts
Since this isn't a show I look for a lot of depth in, I'm trying to figure if there was more to the Wizard of Oz references beyond the obvious: Sarah reading about the Bad Witch as the guys are facing the terminator - and the whole melting thing. And they took the name Baum, who is the author of Oz.

This season is keeping me interested - I was thinking it would quickly fall into repetition, but is doing good stuff so far.
Old 10-07-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I just got kidnapped....but I need to finish my book report!

Wow, this show's dialogue is hilariously bad.
Old 10-07-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I just got kidnapped....but I need to finish my book report!

Wow, this show's dialogue is hilariously bad.
I thought the kid realized that he just got his butt saved from bullet holes through the door. Then when they were in hiding, I felt like he was trying to find a way to keep his life normal.

How high brow should the dialogue be?
Old 10-07-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3
It was interesting sans the kid part. But the end really got me, when he said that they'd die for John. The story made a giant leap with that scene.
Agreed on every point. Gah! Fox, do the right thing and keep this show on the air!
Old 10-07-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Solid episode. Really enjoying this one.
Old 10-07-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigsierra
I thought the kid realized that he just got his butt saved from bullet holes through the door. Then when they were in hiding, I felt like he was trying to find a way to keep his life normal.

How high brow should the dialogue be?
I don't know. Maybe scared shitless, hiding in a closet like a real kid would be. Overall, everything except for that kid plot point last night was good. That was just so laughably bad it brought down the entire episode.
Old 10-07-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I agree the kid subplot was terrible, everything at the military school and the future was awesome (with the exception of the old man make-up on the one guy... come on, he's supposed to be older than Derek!).

Loved the plan they put into effect, as well as the little character moments like Derek spotting the deer. He's quickly becoming my favorite character on the show. The whole PTSD aspect is very cool and I'm glad they haven't lost that. Remember, he spent a relatively short portion of his life pre-Apocalypse, so this all has to be weird for him.

That big-ass gun was awesome, and should totally be employed more. Revealing that the reason the military kid was so important was because HE saves John Connor... that was a sock to the gut, as was the realization that he died doing so, meaning he and John never meet again in the future. That and the whole, "We all die for you..." line offer glimpses of what this show COULD be if given time to grow.

I only have a few minor complaints. Once again, T2 Sarah would kick this Sarah's ass. THAT Sarah wouldn't give two shits about the other potential targets. Also, wouldn't the Terminator have already killed the kid's parents and waited for contact, a la EVERY OTHER TERMINATOR we've seen?

Still, fantastic episode, and a HUGE improvement over last week's crapfest. Surpisingly little Cameron for such a great ep as well!

I love that they are expanding the universe, as someone mentioned in a previous thread. For example, the fact that Derek is showing John that these things CAN be taken down, and not simply by throwing another Terminator at it.

The Urinator is proving to be a lot more "human" than the T-1000... not just in behavior but in her seeming fascination with humanity. Why, for example, would she start banging that dude before killing him?

Also, with this guy now dead, wouldn't Agent Ellison start to suspect something? I mean, she even intimated that things would be better without him around... AND he tells her about Sarah, whom he swore he'd never lead anyone to? If he's going bad, so be it... he just turned heel pretty quickly, I guess.

Still, great episode, and I wouldn't mind more of these, and less of "Cameron-goes-crazy" episodes.

-Doc
Old 10-07-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimeandTide

Question: Bad sign that the only commercials were from Dodge? Think the show knows it's run is almost over and had to squeeze a season's-worth of Dodge ads?

I just watched it on Hulu and it was also only Dodge commercials. Seems to me it was one of those "limited commercial interruptions brought to you by Dodge" type of episodes. 1 hour TV shows are 44 minutes and change, rest being commercials. This episode ran 52 minutes. Dodge pays more to be the only commercials and they can make more money on less commercial time.
Old 10-07-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver

Also, with this guy now dead, wouldn't Agent Ellison start to suspect something? I mean, she even intimated that things would be better without him around... AND he tells her about Sarah, whom he swore he'd never lead anyone to? If he's going bad, so be it... he just turned heel pretty quickly, I guess.
-Doc
Do we know that Ellison mentioned Sarah? He told her about the man at the plant asking questions but I don't remember any evidence that Sarah came up in their conversation. I agree that killing the guy will probably/hopefully lead to Ellison asking some questions so it may not have been such a good idea. On the other hand, we still don't know exactly what the T-1000 is up to and what role Ellison plays so who knows.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.