Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Studios really don't care what we think

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 04:36 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I right? When hey tried to appease us "Serenity" comes to mind "X-Files: I Want To Believe" it only ended in dismal box office failure. ts no wonder stuff like "Beverly Hill Chihuahua" and "Eagle Eye" can easily top the BO. Even if word of mouth is bad it really doesn't matter movies make more profit overseas where no one really tends to care about critics. So yea lets make more bad movies fuck it I'll watch it eventually. Hey last week I saw the Martin Lawrence gem "Rebound" on HBO. I didn't turn it off.
Old 10-05-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
You're just figuring this out now?
Old 10-05-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This doesn't make any sense. Who are you defining as "we"? If "we" is the tiny internet bitching audience, well, of course they don't care. You're using an emotional term to define a business model, they don't "care" and neither should you. Just go see stuff that looks good to you.

The stuff that makes money is what they will produce. It's not rocket science here.
Old 10-05-08, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Maybe you should move to Canada.

I think they write coherently up there though. You may need to brush up.
Old 10-05-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about the movie going public doesn't care what we think? Fox gave you an X-Files sequel. You got Serenity. The studios seem to be more intune to what we want rather than Joe Six Pack.
Old 10-05-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Hollywood absolutely cares what the public thinks. The problem is, you don't agree with the public.
Old 10-05-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you want? Serentity didn't make money. It's a business not a charity.

As for the X-Files, Chris Carter, the show's creator made this one. He owns all the blame for this awful movie, not the studio heads.
Old 10-05-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Am I right? When hey tried to appease us "Serenity" comes to mind "X-Files: I Want To Believe" it only ended in dismal box office failure. ts no wonder stuff like "Beverly Hill Chihuahua" and "Eagle Eye" can easily top the BO. Even if word of mouth is bad it really doesn't matter movies make more profit overseas where no one really tends to care about critics. So yea lets make more bad movies fuck it I'll watch it eventually. Hey last week I saw the Martin Lawrence gem "Rebound" on HBO. I didn't turn it off.
What does this have to do with studios caring what we think?

Glossy movies generally make money, good glossy movies generally do very well (The Dark Knight (Highest grossing and critically, the 2nd highest rated wide release of '08 (behind Wall-E, another $200m grosser)), bad glossy movies generally do okay (Eagle Eye, Mummy 3). Overseas vary.

A movie based on a cult TV series that averaged 4m viewers a week not doing well isn't exactly a surprise (Serenity) nor is a low budget one based on an aged series (X-files 2). Beverly Hills Chihuahua had it in a bag, talking animals sell especially when its advertised ad nauseum on the kiddie channels, they knew their audience and they struck it out of the park with them.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-05-08 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Movies + audiences = money, all the studios need to care about really.

Your post pretty much makes no sense whatsoever -- shouldn't it be "movies I don't like make money, why is this?"

Last edited by The Antipodean; 10-05-08 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Serenity" comes to mind? gimme a fuckin' break.that movie is overrated rubbish and u know it.thanks.
Old 10-05-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blah, blah, blah
What the hell are you talking about?

= J
Old 10-05-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
But they DID make Serenity and X-Files 2. If they didn't care, they wouldn't bother making these movies at all.
Old 10-06-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Maybe you should start reading a books?
Old 10-06-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
PT Barnum was way ahead of you
Old 10-06-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Even after all this time, I'm still confused about Serenity doing so poorly at the box office. The movie was greenlit based on internet sales of the TV series DVDs, the movie DVD itself sold so well it was re-released as a special edition, and now they're doing new special features for the BluRay release of the TV show.

*Somebody* is buying this stuff. Paying real American dollars for these DVDs. It simply does not make sense to me. The only thing that makes sense to me gets into conspiracy theory territory, so I'll spoilerize so you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

Spoiler:
Remember when The Phantom Menace came out and Lucasfilm Fox demanded a higher than usual upfront take of the first week's box office? Something like 90%? I recall seeing internet posts from more than one person about how they had been given a ticket stub at the box office with a different movie's name on it, one that had been out a few weeks already, almost like the theater chains were trying to skew the take in their favor? I wonder if the studio was foreseeing a bigger take for Serenity based on all the buzz, and asked for a higher than normal upfront take, and the theaters did the ticket switching again and thus contributed to the lower than expected box office.
I know, crazy, but it also seems crazy to me how poorly it did at the box office.

Then again, the trailers didn't seem to do a good job selling it either. I also recall several people saying they thought the trailers were horrible, but once on DVD, they rented it and loved it.

And for the people about to complain about the "I heard from so-and-so effect", here's an example: my brother. Mid 20's, never heard of it until the movie came on one of the cable movie channels a while back, and he happened upon it and loved the heck out of it.

But as for the topic at hand: we're a minority. Most of the movie going public likes explosions and snappy one-liners and not having to think too hard. Oh, and of course, happy endings.

Last edited by milo bloom; 10-06-08 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think it's that much to be confused about. A million or two fanboys/girls buying the DVDs on release week looks big, but a million or two fanboys/girls paying 10 bucks for a single ticket at the movies doesn't translate to a lot of dough. Seems to make sense to me.
Old 10-06-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Ehh, maybe, still doesn't sit right with me. The only other thing is too many people decided to wait for the DVD, and that did sell pretty well.
Old 10-06-08, 02:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
One thing about the DVD sales for Serenity is that fans were buying multiple copies to create an artificial demand in order to goad Fox into producing a sequel. There's even a thread about it here somewhere, demanding an explanation from those who dared to buy one or less copies.
Old 10-06-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
stuff
Unestablished Sci-fi is a difficult sell. Even if the DVDs were million sellers, a million tickets isn't going to make for a successful movie. Serenity, on the big screen, looked and felt like the TV show which I'm sure didn't help (It literally looked like a TV episode blown up onto the big screen and not a theatrical feature). I'm one of those that saw the movie in theaters and just did not like it, it felt cheap and cheesy, the forced dialog didn't work for me, and the plot was incredibly generic/recycled and predictable. Why am I mentioning that? Because save for the 'cheap' part, that completely describes the Star Wars prequels as well and we all know how well those did (sickening isn't it?)

Edit:

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't think it's that much to be confused about. A million or two fanboys/girls buying the DVDs on release week looks big, but a million or two fanboys/girls paying 10 bucks for a single ticket at the movies doesn't translate to a lot of dough. Seems to make sense to me.
Oh, you beat me to it. Somehow missed that.

Anyway, studios do care what we think because we're the ones that will pay to see their movies and buy their products. "We" just happens to cover a lot of people with a lot of varying taste. I mean, why else would they have test screenings? They want their movies liked by the widest audience possible.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-06-08 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I had never met in person anyone who watched Firefly before the movie was released. Since then, I have met just one. Just because it is overrepresented here doesn't mean it's this huge with the general public.
Old 10-06-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, internet hype has in general proven to be a pretty big bust.
Old 10-06-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, internet hype has in general proven to be a pretty big bust.
Snakes on a Plane, man.

It's also possible that Serenity could have caught on later, the way that some movies like The Shawshank Redemption, Donnie Darko, and Office Space did. Then again, I'm not really a fan so I don't know what the following is like.
Old 10-06-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
*Somebody* is buying this stuff. Paying real American dollars for these DVDs. It simply does not make sense to me.
A Serenity sequel would cost another $40-60MM.

I don't think Serenity has sold $40MM in DVDs.

I can't make it any clearer than that.
Old 10-06-08, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Movies + audiences = money, all the studios need to care about really.

Your post pretty much makes no sense whatsoever -- shouldn't it be "movies I don't like make money, why is this?"
Why does Hollywood continue to make all those anti-Iraq war movies even though all of them bomb?
Old 10-06-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
Maybe you should move to Canada.

I think they write coherently up there though. You may need to brush up.
Generally we add useless "u's" to certain words (color becomes colour, neighbor becomes neighbour, honor becomes....you get it) but yeah he'd definitely need to brush up.

Snakes On A Plane was awesome. Sucks that the internet's tubes got jammed up and the movie failed as a result but whatever, it delivered exactly what it promised: Snakes on a plane, Sam Jackson saying muthafucka, snake on a trouser snake, snake on a nipple, snake in an old fat lady's nether regions....damn, where's the Blu-ray for this? I'd get immediately if it was available.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.