Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you read one or more than one book at a time?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I read 3-4 books at a time (and of course it takes me 3-4 times longer than one book, I'm not a speed-reader). Right now I'm halfway through Through The Storm (Lynn Spears' book), and I'm starting the Left Behind series with the first prequel book, and I'm reading Hard Case Crime's First Quarry.

How about you?
Old 10-02-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
All the time.

I've gotten so backed up lately that I'm making an effort to finish the books I've started. I've recently finished The Discoverers, The Cat Who Walks in Beauty, and Quiller Meridian. I only have a few pages left of The Pickwick Papers.

But I can think of at least four other books that I've started and need to finish. Some of them have been waiting since winter.
Old 10-02-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Definitely. I've got one SF anthology in each car, a book at the kitchen table for when I dine alone, a comic/TPB in both bathrooms, and a novel upstairs as well.
Once I get 30-50 pages into a book, I rarely quit it. I will quit them before then if I'm not enjoying them.
I'm reading The Third Lynx, by Timothy Zahn, one of the Years Best SF by G Dozois, another one by another editor, Negima! manga, and The Serial Killers Club by someone else.
Old 10-02-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Never. I only ever read one at a time.

The only exceptions would be for short story collections (where I might read a few stories here and there between novels) or when I was in high school and college and reading books for classes.
Old 10-03-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Two or more fiction books at once? Heck no. But I frequently read a fiction book and, say, something in the humor category (Sedaris essays, books by "The Onion") concurrently.
Old 10-03-08, 10:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Yes.

I travel for business on a regular basis and only take paperbacks with me. Often times I am in the middle of a hardcover that sits on my nightstand.
Old 10-03-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I normally don't like to, but lately I have. I think I have about four or five going at the moment.
Old 10-03-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
No more than 3 at a time, but that doesn't include bathroom reader-type books with little articles. I'm currently reading Ulysses at work, and I've got Neuromancer in the bathroom at home (first time reading it, and I'm stalled out in the last act, kinda lost momentum there...).
Old 10-03-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do, but it mostly because I'll lose interest one book and start a new one. I always go back to the first one to finish it later. I think I read three at once before.
Old 10-03-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually read one book at a time but occasionally I will be in a slow book when another book comes in from the library. Then I end up reading the new book before finishing the original book.
Old 10-03-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't have the time to read more than one at a time now, but I use to read up to 3 at any one time. I kept the genres separated though so I it was easy to keep the stories straight.
Old 10-03-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never (and I don't consider comics/TPB's to be breaking this rule since those are read in such a short time).
Old 10-04-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Right now, I'm reading two books for fun and about 6 for school. When I'm not in school, I have a few on the go if I'm not too busy with life.
Old 10-26-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
You can't earn a degree in history without being able to juggle your reading, so I've done it and I'm entirely capable of it. On the other hand, I'm also quite capable of getting through books fairly quickly. I stick to one at a time, partly because if I don't, I know I'll never finish them. Like Quake1028, though, I have no problem taking a break and getting in a comic book from time to time.
Old 11-10-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Usually just one at a time. Unless I'm in the middle of one, and come across one that I really really want to start.
Old 11-10-08, 03:19 PM
Cool New Member

Strictly a monogamous relationship with novels. I want to get sucked into the atmosphere completely and not be distracted. Non-fiction is another matter though, can deal with a little variety there.
Old 11-11-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I tend to read one at a time. I've done more than one before and have considered doing it again but to be honest, if a book is any good then I'll often get into it exclusively until I'm finished.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-11-08 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-11-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I usually only read one at a time, but I am reading two right now because I couldn't decide which one I wanted to start first. I'm sure one will become the dominant one and I'll end of finishing the other one up after.
Old 11-14-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Quake1028
Never (and I don't consider comics/TPB's to be breaking this rule since those are read in such a short time).
Yeah, I read one prose book at a time. Along with that I'll be reading various comics, but I don't count those for the same reason. Though I do sometimes read an informational book along with fiction from time to time. Like say a book on personal finance or something.
Old 11-15-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i usually am reading two or three books at one time. however, if something has peaked my interest, i will stay with it exclusively until i am finished. usually, one fiction piece at a time, but that is not a hard or fast rule. besides, i can always read a couple of pages of infinite jest every now and again