Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Building HT with Blu Ray Player or PS3

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-01-08, 08:42 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Denon AVR-4802 Receiver
Its about 5-6 years old, and does not have HDMI inputs or switching

For speakers I have 4 pairs of Infinity SMs (Studio Monitors) and the SM center channel - I will need to get a new subwoofer I have a Infinity BU-150 but the amp is dead - any suggestions on a replacement? I would eventually like to upgrade the speakers to Tannoy Revolutions, but that has to wait for a while.

I have Direct TV HD DVR - Direct TV doesn't broadcast their HD in 1080p right? So I wouldn't need HDMI for the Direct TV HD DVR, I just use the component cables.

I have a Nintendo Wii with the component cables - but again no 1080p there so I don't need HDMI.

I plan on getting an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080 projector - it will display 1080p and has multiple inputs including HDMI, component, S-Video, etc...

Okay should I get a Blu Ray player or a PS3 ?
I have wireless in the house. I won't play many video games on the PS3, if I get the PS3 I'll get Rock Band for it, if not I'll just get Rock Band for the Wii.
The Sony BDP-S550 and the 80gig PS3 are both about the same price.

I have a Logitech Harmony 880 universal remote. Anyone know if this will control the PS3 so, I wouldn't have to buy the remote for the PS3?

So anyway it looks like I will just need one HDMI for the Blu Ray player or PS3, which I would hook directly up to the projector, everything else would connect to the receiver including a S-VHS, iPod, XM, Atari Jaguar, like I've done for years.

I'll eventually get a new receiver but I want to get a projector, screen, new subwoofer, and Blu Ray player/PS3 first, then get new speakers and then a new receiver. I also know there are external "black box" HDMI switches that I could purchase if I need additional HDMI inputs - the projector just has the one.

Alright any help will be appreciated.
Old 10-02-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
No one broadcasts in 1080p for the time being.

I am waiting to look at the Sony 550 myself but also for the new Panasonic players and the new Oppo player.
Old 10-02-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Get a PS3. Its the best Blu-ray player right now anyway and if you want Rock Band its a no brainer.

Also, can't recommend a sub without room dimensions but there are only 2 brands you should look at, HSU and SVS. Any sub with more than 3 letters in their name stinks (kidding).
Old 10-02-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only reason you may not want to go with a PS3 is the lack of analog outs.

I assume your Denon has analog connections so theoretically you could take advantage of the HD-audio formats of Blu-ray if you had a player with analog outs. Your player would do the decoding and your receiver would just project it.

Do you plan on upgrading that receiver?
Old 10-02-08, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by cousindave
I have a Logitech Harmony 880 universal remote. Anyone know if this will control the PS3 so, I wouldn't have to buy the remote for the PS3?
The PS3 is Bluetooth, the Harmoney is IR.

But the 15.00 Nyko Blu Wave remote for the PS3 comes with an IR dongle that will allow your Harmony to control everything but the on/off switch on the PS3.
Old 10-02-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And I have both! My Harmony 890 is programmed using the Nyko. The dongle takes up one of my USB ports, but it works. The only thing it does not do is emulate the PS button.
Old 10-03-08, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
No one broadcasts in 1080p for the time being.

I am waiting to look at the Sony 550 myself but also for the new Panasonic players and the new Oppo player.
Dish Network is advertising that they are broadcasting in 1080p.
Not sure if it's started yet, or about to.
Old 10-03-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 407 Likes on 352 Posts
I use a PS3 and HD DVD player. I have never upgraded my receiver (it also has no HDMI). I use a monoprice 5X1 HDMI switcher that works awesome. It also has a remote and my 880 controls it as well. It is seamless in operation. In fact, when I installed it, wife/kids didn't even know I had added it.

While I have heard the newest audio formats, I'm of the opinion that before you upgrade a nice sounding receiver, that you should upgrade speakers first. Meaning, your speakers will have more of a dramatic effect on the sound then the newest audio formats. In fact I'd argue that if you were to "step down" from something like a nice sounding Denon or HK to a Sony POS just because the Sony has HDMI and can process the newest audio, you would get WORSE sound.

Again, IMO if you already have a nice sounding receiver (tho several years old so it doesn't have HDMI) then you would have more of an impact in over all sound by upgrading speakers then upgrading the receiver.

Or as mentioned, you could get a BD player with analog outs and if your current receiver has analog in, then you would still get the newest formats without changing receivers.

I did buy the DVD remote for the PS3. I bought the Nyko thing, but haven't programed it yet.
Old 10-07-08, 03:13 AM
Cool New Member

thanks for the info, I'm sure I'm going to have more questions as time goes by.
Old 10-07-08, 10:57 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Also, can't recommend a sub without room dimensions but there are only 2 brands you should look at, HSU and SVS. Any sub with more than 3 letters in their name stinks (kidding).
AV123.

I bought the MFW15 and I have yet to really work it out for home theatre. So far it has passed every HT test I gave given it, without bottoming out.