Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Rent' - final broadway performance on the big screen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 04:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

while this is two days late, since it was shown last night and on Wednesday night I'd thought I just chime in with my thoughts since I saw it last night, and there are two more showings, tomorrow and Sunday. (at select theatres and select times)

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
"Delirium" is more of a high-concept concert performance than an elaborate stage show like "Ka", "Love", "Mystere" and "O".

The presentation is apart of Sony's new digital distribution strategy known as The Hot Ticket. It's designed to go against Regal's Fathom Events (which has now spread across to other theater chains due to it's popularity).

However, tickets are $20.

Twenty-fucking-dollars.

The Hot Ticket will also be distributing the last performance of "Rent" to theaters in September, which I am all-fucking-in on, but if the quality sucks like Fathom Events (DVD-quality projected on a big-screen), count me the fuck out.
fear not, this was NOT DVD-quality projection thrown on the film screen, this was true HiDef presentation and with the camera so close at times to the singers, you could see every tooth cap in their mouths. That was my only qualm with it, that while the camera work is effortless and very effective, at times, though the editing can be a tad too fast - resulting in some odd visual pacing. The cast is excellent and the much publicized surprise is great to see. Even though it defeats the purpose of these screenings I really hope this is released onto dvd/bluray since it's obviousily not the flawed movie version of the musical. The most interesting part of the presentation is that the intermission is retained, resulting in a bathroom/concession stand 10min break. All in all, I'm glad I didn't miss this.... and for any fan of the musical, it's really worth your time and money.
Old 09-27-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it on Wednesday.

My only problem was actually with the camera work and editing. The camera was focused in too tight and didn't give a good look at much of the stage (especially during Christmas Bells where things are happening all over). To be honest, I thought the editing was too fast as well. However, the next comment may have me hung: the Legally Blonde recording shown on MTV was done A LOT better.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather watch this again over the Chris Columbus abomination and I would love picking it up on Blu-ray (please Sony, release this ASAP).

However, I don't know if $20 was worth the price of admission. It looked nice (thank God it was HD), but I've paid to see Rent live in Broadway and on tour for the same price.
Old 09-28-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to go see this but with tickets running $23 CDN, I decided to skip it - for just $7 more I'm going to see Jersey Boys onstage instead....however if a blu-ray ever came out, I'd probably pick it up.
Old 09-29-08, 01:42 PM

I did go see it this past weekend because I am a RENT-head and I truly did enjoy it.

I will GLADLY pick up the Blu-Ray if it is offered... PLEASE offer it, Sony!
Old 09-29-08, 01:51 PM

I knew about this before seeing this last week, but here's the link to BroadwayacrossAmerica and the Rent dates for next year (have my Warner Theatre tix - woohoo!) that was mentioned after the credits.

BroadwayacrossAmerica: Rent
Old 09-29-08, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I saw it on Wednesday.

My only problem was actually with the camera work and editing. The camera was focused in too tight and didn't give a good look at much of the stage (especially during Christmas Bells where things are happening all over). To be honest, I thought the editing was too fast as well. However, the next comment may have me hung: the "Legally Blonde" recording shown on MTV was done A LOT better.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather watch this again over the Chris Columbus abomination and I would love picking it up on Blu-ray (please Sony, release this ASAP).

However, I don't know if $20 was worth the price of admission. It looked nice (thank God it was HD), but I've paid to see Rent live in Broadway and on tour for the same price.
was this the full show?
Old 09-29-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Saw it on Thursday (w/my Rent freak girlfriend) - not nearly as crowded as I thought it was going to be...we figured it'd be a sell-out, this being OC, but I don't think AMC promoted the showings very well...too bad, it was actually pretty cool to watch...especially the 'intermission' part
Old 09-29-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
was this the full show?
Yes.

I wish MTV would put it out on DVD, especially since the show is closing before the end of the year.
Old 09-29-08, 11:45 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I didn't even know about this. Hmm, oh well.
Old 09-30-08, 02:12 PM

We saw this on Saturday afternoon. I'm glad I set an Outlook reminder last month when the Rent newsletter went out, as I never saw any promotion or notice. Sadly, there were only about a dozen people total in my theatre. I think they would have filled the theatres with a little promotion.

It took me a few songs to get into the format, especially the early camera work and everything feeling just a tad bit rushed. I also really disliked the actor playing Roger. It wasn't just an age thing, but also the idea that he should have a strong, edgy hard rock voice. This guy felt like a poser to me. It was very jarring for me early on, but once I got used to everything, I really enjoyed the film. Maureen blew me away, at times I swore Idina Menzel was hiding behind a curtain somewhere. I'd love to see that actress in whatever show she persues next.

Such a different experience. I've had some great seats for the live production, but I've never seen the emotion and the acting in the performer's eyes like you were able to see here. I think it added a nice quality to the show. I also picked up on a few lyrics that I've never heard before- after 6 times seeing it live and about 10 years of listening to the OBC recording. When everyone is singing different lyrics concurrently, it's nearly impossible to focus on some of the softer lines. I also liked the "Contact" number more than I have in the past- seeing the chorus members gyrating was admittedly more interesting than the action under the sheet!

I do hope they'll put out a dvd of this recording. However, I'm afraid the low attendance may keep that from happening. I'd love to own the show as Larsen invisioned it and not solely the Hollywood adaptation. While the Christopher Columbus version was acceptable and brought a lot of new, younger fans into the mix- I think it missed a lot of the brilliance of the original book. The contrast of relationships and the flow of the show were destroyed, imo.

We have 4th row center tickets for the touring production with Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal in 2009, so I know I have at least one highlight left in my RENT journey!
Old 09-30-08, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Renee
We saw this on Saturday afternoon. I'm glad I set an Outlook reminder last month when the Rent newsletter went out, as I never saw any promotion or notice. Sadly, there were only about a dozen people total in my theatre. I think they would have filled the theatres with a little promotion.

It took me a few songs to get into the format, especially the early camera work and everything feeling just a tad bit rushed. I also really disliked the actor playing Roger. It wasn't just an age thing, but also the idea that he should have a strong, edgy hard rock voice. This guy felt like a poser to me. It was very jarring for me early on, but once I got used to everything, I really enjoyed the film. Maureen blew me away, at times I swore Idina Menzel was hiding behind a curtain somewhere. I'd love to see that actress in whatever show she persues next.

Such a different experience. I've had some great seats for the live production, but I've never seen the emotion and the acting in the performer's eyes like you were able to see here. I think it added a nice quality to the show. I also picked up on a few lyrics that I've never heard before- after 6 times seeing it live and about 10 years of listening to the OBC recording. When everyone is singing different lyrics concurrently, it's nearly impossible to focus on some of the softer lines. I also liked the "Contact" number more than I have in the past- seeing the chorus members gyrating was admittedly more interesting than the action under the sheet!

I do hope they'll put out a dvd of this recording. However, I'm afraid the low attendance may keep that from happening. I'd love to own the show as Larsen invisioned it and not solely the Hollywood adaptation. While the Christopher Columbus version was acceptable and brought a lot of new, younger fans into the mix- I think it missed a lot of the brilliance of the original book. The contrast of relationships and the flow of the show were destroyed, imo.

We have 4th row center tickets for the touring production with Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal in 2009, so I know I have at least one highlight left in my RENT journey!
I didn't help that the actor that played Roger had way too much makeup caked onto him, the hidef presentation brought that flaw out waaay to much.

that wasn't Idina? - that fooled me...

was Adam in the finale with all the cast - I didn't see him?

[side comment: if and when Wicked gets the big screen treatment I really REALLY want Idina and Kristen Chenoweth reprising their lead roles]
Old 09-30-08, 10:20 PM

I didn't help that the actor that played Roger had way too much makeup caked onto him, the hidef presentation brought that flaw out waaay to much.

that wasn't Idina? - that fooled me...

was Adam in the finale with all the cast - I didn't see him?

[side comment: if and when Wicked gets the big screen treatment I really REALLY want Idina and Kristen Chenoweth reprising their lead roles]
I agree completely with the comment on Roger's Pan-Cake. The make-up artists are obviously used to the stage and it's certainly more forgiving. Huge digital screens allows nothing to remain hidden!

Maureen was played by Eden Espinosa. She's only been with RENT since May 30th, but she definitely left an impression. Oddly enough, she's best known for playing Idina's understudy in the OBC of Wicked, and eventually taking on the role of Elphaba in several cities. I thought she was amazing and would love to see her live.

I couldn't agree more with your side note. I really wish this film had been recorded with the OBC and I'd love to see that done with Wicked. Record them all utilizing the best techniques you can afford, and lock them away until the show's run is over. Then, sell it to those of us who can't get enough!
Old 10-01-08, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Renee

I couldn't agree more with your side note. I really wish this film had been recorded with the OBC and I'd love to see that done with Wicked. Record them all utilizing the best techniques you can afford, and lock them away until the show's run is over. Then, sell it to those of us who can't get enough!

but with how well the show is doing, both on Broadway and on the road - I missed the DC Kennedy Center show (tix sold like hot cakes). I don't think well see a film version til say .. uh, 2011. Have you seen either the Broadway or Touring version? Is there any differences, are some special effects/sets changed for the latter. The best seats for 'Wicked' (on Broadway) from Ticketmaster don't seem to be available til February of next year (damn you Ugly Betty for featuring this musical on one of last seasons episodes), outside of 'The Lion King' this is one of the hardest tix to get, one has to plan waaay in advance.
Old 10-01-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I saw it with my wife at Wolf Trap, the touring cast featured three Idol contestants, and they were all very very good.
Old 10-01-08, 12:20 PM

I was out of town during the Wolf Trap shows - dang it, glad though it's coming back to DC.
Old 10-02-08, 10:26 AM

but with how well the show is doing, both on Broadway and on the road - I missed the DC Kennedy Center show (tix sold like hot cakes). I don't think well see a film version til say .. uh, 2011. Have you seen either the Broadway or Touring version? Is there any differences, are some special effects/sets changed for the latter. The best seats for 'Wicked' (on Broadway) from Ticketmaster don't seem to be available til February of next year (damn you Ugly Betty for featuring this musical on one of last seasons episodes), outside of 'The Lion King' this is one of the hardest tix to get, one has to plan waaay in advance.
I can't comment on the differences between the Broadway and touring productions of Wicked, as I've only seen the touring company. I'd love to think that this show could have a strong 7 or 8 year run! However, I've been hearing talk that with the talk of the poor economy, people are shying away from the high cost of a Broadway ticket. Hopefully that won't turn into a real problem. It was a little scary there after 9/11.

It's funny that you mention Ugly Betty, as their "Wicked" episode is the only one I've ever seen. I don't think it's what propelling ticket sales, though. It's just a great, fun show. Exactly what I want from a night out- plenty of laughs, a new take on something old and revered, and good friendship/romantic relationship/love triangle with memorable songs.