Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba 24 frame DVD Up-Convert Player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I noticed a recent ad for a Toshiba DVD player featuring a 24 frame up-convert.

Has anyone used or owned one of these machines? How does the picture differ from a regular 30 frame up-convert?
Old 09-26-08, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, for one it won't match the sync in most TVs in people's homes today.
Old 09-26-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Standard video is 30 fps but supposedly this outputs 24 fps, which is identical to film speed. It will work on any TV, a lot of video cameras have the 24 frame feature as well. According to the Best Buy flyer, it makes for richer, more lifelike images.

The model number is XDE 500.
Old 09-26-08, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
This guy seems to have one:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...-thoughts.html
Old 09-27-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info. For anyone else interested, here's one review:

So I pulled the trigger and picked this player up. You never know what to expect when you here claims like "best upconverting ever" or "near Hi-Def PQ from your sd dvds." I have a lot of sd dvds. Over 2500 titles. So when a player comes along that says it can make them look, at least somewhat better, I get excited. The upconvert players I've previously and currently own are Samsung DVD-HD850, Toshiba HD-DVD A20 and A35, Sony BDP-S300, Samsung BD-P1500, Denon DVD-1910 and the OPPO DV-983H. Now, to get to this players features. Everyone here knows about the 3 picture modes which are SHARP, COLOR and CONTRAST. As many here have no doubt figured these modes artificially enhance whats being displayed on screen. If you have your display properly calibrated, or even close to it, these modes will be of no use, since all they do is push the color and contrast. You could do as much with the settings of your own tv. Now, the SHARP feature has me scratching my head. Automatically you would think EE, right? Yet, that's not what it seems to do on the whole. What I noticed was an improvement in background detail rather than EE on everything in plain sight. That was nice, as it made some of my dvds come to life a little as I've never seen. Even without the XDE features, the upconverting of this player at least rivals the Oppo I mentioned and is superior to all the other players I've mentioned. Now, it's my understanding that this player is on par in its up-convert to Xa2. Those owning that player will probably not be as impressed, if at all. This player is PAL/NTSC and can be made region free. I was able to play some of my region 0 PAL discs with this player right out of the box. That was very cool. Bottom line, I'm very pleased with this player, since it's been the best up converter I've had. Just so I've said it, No, this does not make sd dvds look like hi-def blu-rays. However, it has delivered on the promise of making my sd dvd collection look better then it ever did before.
Old 09-27-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by orangerunner
Standard video is 30 fps but supposedly this outputs 24 fps, which is identical to film speed. It will work on any TV, a lot of video cameras have the 24 frame feature as well.
The 24 fps feature will NOT work on any TV. The TV has to be capable of 24-frame playback. Although a lot of new TVs are coming out with this feature, most existing TVs are not capable of displaying 24 fps.

This player has been out for a while now. I know there is a lengthy thread discussing it, so you might find more information there.
Old 09-28-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The 24 fps feature will NOT work on any TV. The TV has to be capable of 24-frame playback. Although a lot of new TVs are coming out with this feature, most existing TVs are not capable of displaying 24 fps.

My mistake, you're right about the DVD player. I imagine you can still use this player on a CRT-TV and get a 30 fps picture even though it defeats the purpose.

I believe if something is shot on a camera at 24 fps, it can be played back through the analog outputs to a CRT TV, but it is not playing back at true 24frames.
Old 09-28-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by orangerunner
I believe if something is shot on a camera at 24 fps, it can be played back through the analog outputs to a CRT TV, but it is not playing back at true 24frames.
In that situation the player will output the usual NTSC 30 fps, just like every other DVD player on the market. Again, the 24-frame feature will only work with TVs that can display 24fps.
Old 09-28-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And there are almost no "TVs" that do that. Even my projector, which allows for 1080p24 input, will convert it to a 720p60 signal. (or possibly to 50p for PAL, I'm not totally sure) It's really a neat forward-looking feature, but of little serious use right now.

Esp for DVD, with is stored as 480i60. I'm really not sure what the benefit is of trying to go back to 24p. While films on film obviously started that way, the shoddy job that studios have done recording movies on DVD means the whole de-interlacing problem is still there. Dropping to 24 just isn't going to mean much, I don't think. And of course, many recent movies have been shot on 60p HD cameras. So, no point for those at all.

Here, found this:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=5155
If you notice, mostly projectors, which doesn't surprise me at all.

Last edited by Spiky; 09-28-08 at 07:54 PM.