Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' (Blu-ray)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-25-08, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Ryan Keefer's DVD review of Forgetting Sarah Marshall at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34824 and...

it's Bill Hader, not Phil.
Good review, I might actually drop down and get the SD version instead of blu now.
Old 09-25-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Shite! My backup pair of eyes was on the town with a friend. Correction made.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Yes, great review. Of one of the year's best films. But after reading Ryan's PQ rating, it doesn't sound like this warrants a BD purchase. Could save myself a few bucks. I'm happy with my SD of "Juno". And I've seen the BD version too and can't tell any huge difference.
Old 09-30-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to have to call you out regarding the PQ on the Blu-Ray release of Forgetting Sarah Marshall...

While it's in no way reference quality, it's much better than a 6 out of 10. I'd say it's closer to 8 out of 10. That also seems to be a general consensus on other HD/HT forums as well.

Last edited by Heliosphann; 09-30-08 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by Heliosphann
While it's in no way reference quality, it's much better than a 6 out of 10. I'd say it's closer to 8 out of 10. That also seems to be a general consensus on other HD/HT forums as well.
If we had an even wider scale, I'd probably give it 6.25 out of 10. If I were reviewing it with DVD Talk's scale, I could go either way -- 3 or 3.5 stars -- so I don't think Ryan is off-target here. There are a lot of stretches that look gorgeous, but an awful number of shots are softer, flatter, and less detailed than average for a day-and-date release. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable giving it a higher rating than that. There are just so many discs that look so much better, and the idea that there's a single star difference between this and reference quality doesn't seem right.