Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Eagle Eye" is everything thats wrong with Hollywood

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-25-08, 12:00 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, so not to give anything away Dreamworks basically took a bunch of movies "2001", "The Fugitive", "Enemy of the State", some Tom Clancy stuff. Put it in a blender and came out with this garbage. I watched the end credits to see who wrote it and it took four screenwriters so I'm guessing one for each movie ripped off. Its a simple plot. Billy Bob Thornton plays Tommy Lee Jones looking for Shia LeBeouf a supposed terrorist. There's a girl cause he can't run alone. Why she's there is still unclear. There's some of the most obnoxious product placement ever put on film in here and one that just made no sense...

Spoiler:
If you're a terrorist that can control all the computers in the world why would you give someone two gift card to Macy's to change his clothes why not just turn the cash registers off like you did every other time in the movie? Also why give someone 750K out of a ATM then make a point to give gift cards to go to Macy's? Then say there are two gift cards for you
?

So yea, I'm guessing this movie will be number one at the box office cause we're idiots that like this kind of crap.

I really hated this movie. It doesn't even try to be original.
Old 09-25-08, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Isn't there an Eagle Eye thread already?
Old 09-25-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
About that spoiler: are you fucking kidding me? That ridiculous plot point again!?
Old 09-25-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This film doesn't deserve one thread, let alone two.
Old 09-26-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was totally underwhelmed and pretty much agree with Ronnie Dobbs. The action scenes weren't longer than 2 seconds, very Bay, and yes, I was that bored in which I was counting the average shot length.
Old 09-26-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm going to have to disagree with the thread title...there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with michelle monaghan.

Old 09-26-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^ She just ain't that hot... IMO, of course.

I was contemplating seeing this tonight, but the bad reviews I've been reading have pretty much out me off. I was barely interested to begin with, now I'm just over it. Guess I'll finally see Burn After Reading instead.
Old 09-26-08, 11:53 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Yes, Eagle Eye is far from original. But it's lack of originality stretches a lot further back than Enemy of the State. Enemy of the State was a rip off or The Conversation, Taxi Driver, Manchurian Candidate, etc.

If anything, The Fugitive is a defining example of what's wrong with Hollywood. It lead the charge (and was one of the first films to make a fortune) of adapting old television shows into movies. Why take the risk on an original screenplay when we can just adapt an old hit?

The problem isn't that Eagle Eye rips off movies that are less than ten years old. It rips off thriller cliches that stretch back to the 1930's. Check out Hitchcock's Young and Innocent or The 39 Steps.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-30-08 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-26-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Well this saved me some money. I was actually fairly interested in seeing this based on trailers but it sounds like garbage so I'll pass.
Old 09-26-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, of course. A movie looks interesting, but why watch it when you can just listen to someone else's opinion?
Old 09-26-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i'm going to have to disagree with the thread title...there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with michelle monaghan.

Ahhhhh... Michelle. She's fantastic.
Old 09-26-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The only problem with using The Fugitive as an example is that it's a particularly good movie. When we're drowning in crap and looking for something to blame, should we really choose good movies?
Old 09-26-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by abrg923
Yes, of course. A movie looks interesting, but why watch it when you can just listen to someone else's opinion?
When RottenTomatoes is coming in at 25% at the moment the consensus seems to be the film is not good.

I would never go off one person's opinion alone, but in this case, where there's smoke, there's likely fire.
Old 09-26-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The only problem with using The Fugitive as an example is that it's a particularly good movie. When we're drowning in crap and looking for something to blame, should we really choose good movies?
I think the point may have been regardless of how good The Fugitive was (and I agree it was great), the success of a movie based on a pre-existing TV property is what caused the trend.

Studios executives see TV show made into film = success when marquee star(s) involved, and you get an onslaught of crap films.

And let's also not forget the terrible sequel to the Fugitive. It's hard to empathize with a fugitive when the actor portraying him is so unlikable (Snipes).
Old 09-26-08, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Ahhhhh... Michelle. She's fantastic.
And an Iowa native....yessssssssss!
Old 09-26-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked her in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. In fact, everyone should see that movie instead of Eagle Eye.
Old 09-27-08, 01:14 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Agreed. She's uber cute in that one and the movie is actually good.
Old 09-27-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
While this one passed the time fine, I have to say I left very underwhelmed. Absolutely no emotional attachment to any character or the story. Forget The Fugitive, this doesn't even stand close to Enemy of the State.

I found the editing to be worse than a Bay film. I at least see a method (and coherence) with Bay's madness... here I saw none. It came off as sloppy to me. I didn't hate it, but I don't think I'll be seeing it again.
Old 09-28-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it a lot for what it was: ENTERTAINMENT. I thought the cast was great, the pace was quick and DJ Caruso brings some great style and skill to the picture. I thought there was nothing wrong with most of the editing, a few of the action scenes get a bit jumbled due to tight closeups but I never felt lost or confused. Shia is doing his thing well and I love Monaghan. The rest of the supporting cast is very decent too (Billy Bob, Chiklis) and even though you can see the plot twists miles away, I had a fun time with it... It's like Disturbia in that respect - you've seen it all before but it's all in the way they serve it to you that makes it worthwhile.
Old 09-29-08, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I liked it a lot for what it was: ENTERTAINMENT. I thought the cast was great, the pace was quick and DJ Caruso brings some great style and skill to the picture. I thought there was nothing wrong with most of the editing, a few of the action scenes get a bit jumbled due to tight closeups but I never felt lost or confused. Shia is doing his thing well and I love Monaghan. The rest of the supporting cast is very decent too (Billy Bob, Chiklis) and even though you can see the plot twists miles away, I had a fun time with it... It's like Disturbia in that respect - you've seen it all before but it's all in the way they serve it to you that makes it worthwhile.
i agree. it is what it is - a mindless entertaining action flick. its not going to win awards. people are so freaking anal when it comes to movies these days. yes, its not the best movie ever but if it entertains me for two hours, thats what i paid for - thats why i went. i didnt go expecting oscar winning performaces, emotional attachment, and perfect scripts. if thats what you want, then wait for only those types of movies and dont go to these (it was packed when i went though). some of you guys need to chill...especially this guy:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/34841/eagle-eye/?___rd=1

"Eagle Eye" is a major disappointment, taking a topical (albeit heightened to a comical degree) technological subject and turning it into action pabulum for a saturated market.
are you kidding me? its a freaking popcorn action flick... looks like someone loves the thesaurus function on word.
Old 09-29-08, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"You've changed things...forever. There's no going back." Sorry, Mr. Nolan, the studios will still churn out mindless popcorn action flicks.

Eagle Eye is everything that's wrong. Every film should be Oscar worthy. Even the summer blockbusters.
Old 09-29-08, 01:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by atari2600
i agree. it is what it is - a mindless entertaining action flick. its not going to win awards. people are so freaking anal when it comes to movies these days. yes, its not the best movie ever but if it entertains me for two hours, thats what i paid for - thats why i went. i didnt go expecting oscar winning performaces, emotional attachment, and perfect scripts. if thats what you want, then wait for only those types of movies and dont go to these (it was packed when i went though).
this is the problem with moviegoers today. Medocrity is accepted and rewarded. Why go see a movie that may leave you wondering or challenging you mind a little when you can see the same recycled predictable garbage you've seen twenty times before? I'm glad you liked i though because artistic integrity is no longer a value in filmmaking its all about what the box office numbers are. Dreamworks/Paramount appreciates your money.
Old 09-29-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Every film should be Oscar worthy. Even the summer blockbusters.
Sure. I'll just set my time machine for 1970-something, and away we go!
Old 09-29-08, 09:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
I agree, it was mindless fun, the plausibility factor was -10. But hey I really didn't care. As you noted the cast worked for me.
Old 09-29-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really surprised at the amount of venom you're slinging at this movie Ronnie... yeah, it's got issues but I've seen at least a dozen movies WAY worse, with less artistic integrity etc. than Eagle Eye... A lot of movies lift ideas from other sources and repurpose them into something else... I love movies that are challenging and make you think - but sometimes after a long day, you just want to relax and be entertained - Eagle Eye is a great way to do that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.