Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dai-Nipponjin (Matsumoto Hitoshi 2007) dvd

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been waiting for Matusumoto Hitoshi's black-comedy-kaijuu-monster flick to be released as an English friendly dvd for some time now. I know it got put out as a Region 2 Japanese dvd set (quite expensive) without English subtitles a few months ago. I believe that a division of Magnolia Pictures mentioned this title over a year ago as one of their prospective releases for USA distribution: http://www.magnetreleasing.com/press_release.html

Those not familiar with this festival favorite can read more about it here:

http://www.sarudama.com/japanese_mov...ipponjin.shtml
Old 09-22-08, 06:33 PM
rsk

Revolver are putting out their R2UK DVD (as Big Man Japan) on 27 October.
Old 09-22-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I expected this to be awesome and I found it to be just pretty good. Probably worth watching again, it was a midnight show so I may have been a bit spent.
Old 09-23-08, 01:18 AM

it's still supposed to be with magnolia, as far as i know. was hoping for a HK release - it was certified there, but got no DVD. UK release is a nice surprise, and the price seems reasonable too at £8.99 from play.com ...
Old 10-30-08, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by rsk
Revolver are putting out their R2UK DVD (as Big Man Japan) on 27 October.
Boy am I glad I googled this as BIG MAN JAPAN again, it seems that not only was it released as a R2UK DVD but there's also an English friendly Region 3
2-Disc Hong Kong Edition available at various on-line outlets ie: HKflix.com as well as YesAsia
Link: http://www.yesasia.com/global/dainip...0-en/info.html

There's also a Region 4 Australian edition available as well for those in the land down-under!!!

Last edited by TheDoug; 10-30-08 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-31-08, 02:27 AM

big man japan was supposed to be released this week, but so far hasn't shipped - unusual situation - and the HK disc appeared at such short notice, so long after it's cinema release there, that it wasn't really expected. and you're right, madman are releasing it in australia before the year's out.
Old 11-12-08, 01:28 AM

the release date of the UK disc hasn't shifted on the play.com site - from which i ordered, if you're wondering why i mention it - and i'm not getting a response from them as to why this has happened; usually you can expect "awaiting stock" or a new release date to replace the original. anyway, i thought i'd check the bbfc website - and there's no listing of this having been certified yet. okay, so it may be a case of them needing to update their records, but i also can't quite figure out why nobody seems entirely certain of it's existence : don't know who's issuing it, haven't seen an announcement of it's release and so on... anyone?
Old 11-12-08, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by logboy
the release date of the UK disc hasn't shifted on the play.com site - from which i ordered, if you're wondering why i mention it - and i'm not getting a response from them as to why this has happened; usually you can expect "awaiting stock" or a new release date to replace the original. anyway, i thought i'd check the bbfc website - and there's no listing of this having been certified yet. okay, so it may be a case of them needing to update their records, but i also can't quite figure out why nobody seems entirely certain of it's existence : don't know who's issuing it, haven't seen an announcement of it's release and so on... anyone?
I'm a bit perplexed by your question, because I thought we answered this earlier in the forum ie: Revolver Entertainment is putting out the R2UK release. I know that Amazonuk.com has it available. Don't know what's up with Play.com though???

Last edited by TheDoug; 11-12-08 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-12-08, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by TheDoug
I'm a bit perplexed by your question, because I thought we answered this earlier in the forum ie: Revolver Entertainment is putting out the R2UK release. I know that Amazonuk.com has it available. Don't know what's up with Play.com though???
until i know someone has their hands on it, i'm not certain it's out - amazon just has a different way of saying you can feel free to order it, one that doesn't guarantee it's actually out there.

any contact details for revolver?
Old 11-12-08, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by logboy
until i know someone has their hands on it, i'm not certain it's out - amazon just has a different way of saying you can feel free to order it, one that doesn't guarantee it's actually out there.

any contact details for revolver?
I ventured to their UK webpage and found no mention of BIG MAN JAPAN, which is a bit perplexing as well...hmmm? Link:

http://www.revolvergroup.com/index.html
Old 11-21-08, 04:06 PM

Just watched the Region 3 Hong Kong edition mentioned above. I found the film fun and fascinating by pushing the satire envelope about Japanese culture. The second disc has over 45 minutes of "behind the scenes" production segments. (not English friendly). Speaking of subtitles, I thought the feature subtitling quite good but very small typeface is used. Not the usual video generated yellow subs as on some releases. They were readable but almost like the subtitles utilized in pre-seventies Japanese releases. Not since "Funky Forrest: The First Contact" have I seen so many rubberized character creations involved in telling a story.
Old 11-21-08, 04:20 PM

I emailed revolver, but didn't get a reply.