Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you obtain your reading material?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

For books I don't buy physical books anymore, just Kindle editions. There's plenty of Kindle material to keep me occupied for a while. Most are $9.99.

I also like to have tons of periodicals available - The New York Times, Newsweek, Time, USA Today, get transferred to my Kindle daily for free when I connect it to my PC while I sleep through Mobipocket Reader. It keeps up to one week of headlines on the Kindle (I can change it from 1 day to 2 weeks) and only transfers unread content (also customizable). I also have blogs like The Daily Kos and Cognitive Daily transferred over. All for free. The one periodical I pay for is The Reader's Digest $18 a year because they don't have comprehensive RSS feeds, so I get it through Amazon.

I don't even go to the library anymore most of the time. The Kindle has revolutionized the way I read.
Old 09-22-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm all about actual books. I have a library I'm very proud of. To me, a book is a work of art, just like a painting. It's something tactile to hold and value as a whole. The presentation--the cover, the jacket art, the paper, the heft, the font, the design--is also important to me. It all adds up to an artwork, something I can savor and admire after the fact, particularly with books I'm especially fond of.

To me, a digital copy of a book is like taking a Polaroid of the Mona Lisa.
Old 09-22-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I double dip on all my books, I purchase the book used from Amazon.com and then I get the audiobook from Audible.com I find I retain information better if somebody reads to me and I read along in the book at the same time. Not to mention it helps when I hit words I don't know how to pronounce; that is very helpful consideriting I read a lot of books on terrorism and foreign cultures.

That being said the iPod changed my life, before I could only read 2-4 books a year now I'm pushing 50+.
Old 09-22-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I steal them from bookstores.
Old 09-22-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there's something new out that I'd really like to read, I'll borrow it from work. Otherwise, everything comes from Paperback Swap.
Old 09-22-08, 10:06 PM

Half priced books...read them and resell them
Old 09-22-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I've used paperbackswap and the books I get are all yellowed or dirty or old-looking. I won't get books from there ever again (I tried 10 different books).
Old 09-22-08, 11:29 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I don't obtain my reading material. I get it.

That said, I buy serious stuff. That is, authors I know, books I've heard good things about from people I trust. I go to the library for things I'm not sure about. That is, stuff I read about in passing that sounds interesting, books I've heard good things about from people I think are morons.
Old 09-23-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I've used paperbackswap and the books I get are all yellowed or dirty or old-looking. I won't get books from there ever again (I tried 10 different books).
YMMV, I guess. Aside from some actual paperbacks from the '70s that I've gotten that have obviously been read and re-read, everything else has been pristine, inlcuding some very nice first-edition hardcovers and interestingly designed UK editions. Not that I care either way; I'm a read-it-and-trade-it kind of person... Don't have any interest in keeping them for display or anything.
Old 09-23-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
half.com, Halfprice Books, garage sales, flea markets, antique stores, thrift stores (sense a trend?)

I was just working putting some of our books back on shelves last night, I totally gave up on sorting fiction from non-fiction, etc, our bookshelves look like a used bookstore themselves.
Old 09-23-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J

I use the library extensively. Request books/DVDs/Cds online, get 'em in a day or two.

I may buy a nonfiction title periodically, if I feel it's something I may go back and reference at some point.
Old 09-23-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
If there's something new out that I'd really like to read, I'll borrow it from work. Otherwise, everything comes from Paperback Swap.

I like both paperback swap and bookmooch, although it is nearly impossible to get recently published books from them. I still buy a hardcover now and then, though not nearly as often as I once did.
I will never own a kindle or any proprietary format reader.
Old 09-23-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm with FunkDaddy J. I love a nice, new, tightly bound hard cover. I don't have all that many books in my collection, but it does bring me satisfaction to look at the spines sitting there, tempting me with the stories they contain.
Old 09-23-08, 03:01 PM

half-priced books unless I just have to have it as soon as it comes out.
Old 09-23-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Amazon, physical bookstores and my university library.
Old 09-23-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Annual library booksale (purchase), library (checkout). I have a book waiting for me there, as a matter of fact.
Very occasionally used bookstores.
Old 09-23-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get a lot of books from the library though I feel bad whenever I actually enjoy the book hence my other thread a while back.

I always buy the authors I love usually new through Amazon. I don't have any good used book stores locally.

This is also something else that has always bothered my. Why are new book sales so uncommon? I mean as many paperbacks as there are that are out there why do you so rarely see sales at the big book stores. Is there some large clearance book chain I am missing? You see it on hardbacks, but never on paperbacks. Do they all get credit for sending books back that don't sell?
Old 10-01-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kindle for me..like not having 'works of art" piled up all over the house..
give me "Polaroids" any day...
Old 10-02-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by innocentfreak
This is also something else that has always bothered my. Why are new book sales so uncommon? I mean as many paperbacks as there are that are out there why do you so rarely see sales at the big book stores. Is there some large clearance book chain I am missing? You see it on hardbacks, but never on paperbacks. Do they all get credit for sending books back that don't sell?
Barnes & Noble and Borders frequently have sales on bestselling hardcovers and trade paperbacks; usually around 20-30% off (and sometimes as high as 40%). Borders also always seems to have some kind buy 2-get-1-free kind of sale going on with select trade paperbacks.

As for the hardcover books you see at stores selling for around $5.98-$7.98, those are remainders. When books are released in hardcover, they generally have a short window of availability (usually about a year, until a paperback version comes out). After that window closes, those leftover books are called remainders, and they're sold at a steep discount to clear out overstock.

Paperbacks, when they are sent back, were stripped. "Stripping" a book means that the seller tears the front cover off and sends it back for a refund. Stripped books are supposed to be destroyed. I'm not sure if they still strip paperbacks and magazines, though, with the whole green/recycling thing that's all the rage these days.

As to you other question, yes, there are some bookstores that sell remaindered stock in both hardcover and paperback. I've seen a few in outlet malls. And there are also mail order businesses like www.hamiltonbook.com and www.bookcloseouts.com that specialize in discounted overstock.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 10-02-08 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-02-08, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
As for the hardcover books you see at stores selling for around $5.98-$7.98, those are remainders. When books are released in hardcover, they generally have a short window of availability (usually about a year, until a paperback version comes out). After that window closes, those leftover books are called remainders, and they're sold at a steep discount to clear out overstock.

Paperbacks, when they are sent back, were stripped. "Stripping" a book means that the seller tears the front cover off and sends it back for a refund. Stripped books are supposed to be destroyed. I'm not sure if they still strip paperbacks and magazines, though, with the whole green/recycling thing that's all the rage these days.
Yeah I know about stripping since I used to work retail and had to do it once a month for magazines. It just never made sense to me for paperbacks though I guess both companies can use it as a write-off. There are many paperbacks I would take a chance on and pick up at half price especially ones I can't find at the library. The best sale I have ever seen locally is 4 for 5 on select paperbacks.
Old 10-10-08, 04:56 PM

i buy them used from ebay, or thrift stores, they are cheaper, i only read them about 1 time though
Old 10-20-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
I'm another library user. I figure 1) my taxes are helping pay for it anyway and 2) while I am likely to re-watch a movie or re-play an album, I am very unlikely to re-read a book.

I am, however, completely addicted to Half Price Books. I've scored some really nice finds in CD's and DVD's there, and have occasionally found something to read. This year, I snagged a paperback of Peter O'Toole's "Loitering with Intent: The Child" for a quarter and Herb F. Solow & Robert Justman's "Inside Star Trek: The Real Story" in hardback for $3.00.

Count me among those who prefer tangible books to digital. I don't mind going digital for audiobooks, though I'm wary of sites like iTunes where the entire book is one large file. For an hour or so, that's one thing. I am very unlikely, though, to make it through an entire seven hour, unabridged audiobook without interruption. And, yes, I echo the sentiment that dust jacket art, font selection and the other aspects of an actual book do represent a work of art. I don't find that to be true of all books, including a lot of paperbacks. When possible, I like early printings of books, especially older books. There's something kind of exciting about opening, say, a used 1959 paperback printing of an Ian Fleming Bond thriller and getting that "old book" smell as I turn the pages. Sometimes I wonder just how many other people have read that exact copy of the book I now own. It connects me to the book in a way that I don't find with other media. I get it with vinyl, but not CD.
Old 10-23-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been using audible.com a lot lately. i can get through a lot more books in audio form, because I can listen during a lot of time I wouldn't be able to read. Listen to an audibook during my short 15 minute commute to work, and each day at the gym and doing any work around the apartment, I can get through an audibook or every week or two depending on the length. Audible has had some good sales since I started, I was able to pick up a lot of cheap books for $6 or so in addition to my book a month as a member.

For traditional books, I use paperbacks a lot of times on amazon as a filler for free shipping, and I've picked up a lot of books at used book stores.
Old 10-25-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I like the kindle concept but it's still new tech and thus expensive. DRM is another negative. I might digital copies of my favorite books when I think it's reasonable to do so.

I like going to the bookstore (BAM and BN). The bookstore is pretty much one of the few places where the customers are quiet and polite.
Old 10-25-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
I'm all about actual books. I have a library I'm very proud of. To me, a book is a work of art, just like a painting. It's something tactile to hold and value as a whole. The presentation--the cover, the jacket art, the paper, the heft, the font, the design--is also important to me. It all adds up to an artwork, something I can savor and admire after the fact, particularly with books I'm especially fond of.

NICE!

I need your help!

Iim trying to pick up the complete Harvard Classics set on Craigslist and I found a guy but want to confirm the sets quality before I drive to Conn.

How would you phrase an email asking for more details than GOOD CONDITION?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.