Reload this Page >

All store exclusives and freebies - 9/21/08 to 9/27/08

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 09-20-08, 06:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

These weekly threads are for the posting and discussion of that particular week's store exclusives and freebies.

These lists will likely be incomplete until Thursday or so, since DVDs are released on Tuesday and one of us needs to visit all the stores to confirm things.

Links to the master list and to the previous and next week's thread are below.

Volunteers needed: I regularly go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Walmart; but don't visit the other stores every week. If you work at or regularly go to the FYE/TWEC chains, Costco, Borders, K-mart/Sears, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Hot Topic, or any other store that has DVD exclusives; We'd appreciate any updates you could give us.

All Stores - Thread for all movie cash and free ticket deals
tons of free movie deals at various retailers, see the above linked thread for full details

Best Buy -
Sex in the City - steelbook packaging
The Godfather, The Coppola Restoration - hardcover quote book

Target -
Sex in the City - deluxe edition contains alternate slipcover and additional bonus features on disc 2

Circuit City -
I searched and found nothing new

Wal Mart / Sam's Club -
Sex in the City - single disc DVD bundled with music CD
Leatherheads - bonus DVD
new Godfather 1-3 individual releases - lenticular slipcover and ringtone

K-Mart/Sears -

FYE/Sam Goody/other TWEC -
The Godfather, The Coppola Restoration - steelbook packaging

Barnes and Noble -

Borders -

Costco -

GameStop / MovieStop - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Blockbuster -

Hot Topic - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Toys-R-Us -

The Disney Store - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Meijers - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Ralph's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Hastings - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Acme / Albertson's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Giant Food / Giant Eagle - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Fred Meyer - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Canadian Exclusives -
Futureshop
*Sex and the City steelbook - bonus "Sex and the City: Kiss and Tell" book (retail value $200 ) for first 250 who pre-order online)
*The Godfather Collection steelbook

Zellers
*Sex and the City + Notebook

Blocbuster Canada
*Sex and the City + bonus shoe bag

Last edited by Trevor; 10-05-08 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-20-08, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are the Canadian exclusives I've found so far in flyers and such:

Futureshop
*Sex and the City steelbook - bonus "Sex and the City: Kiss and Tell" book (retail value $200 ) for first 250 who pre-order online)

Zellers
*Sex and the City + Notebook

Blocbuster Canada
*Sex and the City + bonus shoe bag
Old 09-20-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by johnsun
Here are the Canadian exclusives I've found so far in flyers and such:

Futureshop
Is this a different book that is sold at amazon.com & bn.com for approximately $20? ...

Sex and the City:Kiss and Tell

$200 retail value is a lot...more than the whole entire series dvd set regular price w/out sale
Old 09-20-08, 09:24 PM

Best Buy will have a "Sex and the City" STEELBOOK!

I have seen it with my own eyes, and yes, it is a steelbook. I'm not quite sure why Best Buy did not mention specifically that it is a steelbook like they did when they advertised "The Sarah Connor Chronicles." Maybe it isn't made by the company steelbook, but it certainly is one. Just wanted to give the heads-up to everyone on that. I found this out by speaking to one of the people in the media department at my local store that knows me from all my shopping. I asked them about it and they said that they had just received a cardboard display for next week. I asked if he could show it to me, so he brought one out for me to see.
Old 09-21-08, 07:48 AM

We certainly have some people on this forum that get excited about steelbooks.

And then we have people that immediately throw all the packaging away and put the DVDs in binders.

I'm leaning towards joining the later group perhaps, but I go back and forth.
Old 09-21-08, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by snausages
Is this a different book that is sold at amazon.com & bn.com for approximately $20? ...

Sex and the City:Kiss and Tell

$200 retail value is a lot...more than the whole entire series dvd set regular price w/out sale
Here's a link to the book page, which looks to be the same as the Amazon book.. I suppose they just make a mistake with an extra 0, but it was repeated on several pages when it was up..
Later

Last edited by johnsun; 09-22-08 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-22-08, 06:22 PM

Walmart will have the following:

Leatherheads (with Bonus Disc) (Exclusive)

Sex And The City: The Movie (with Songs From The City CD) (Exclusive)

Old 09-22-08, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
We certainly have some people on this forum that get excited about steelbooks.

And then we have people that immediately throw all the packaging away and put the DVDs in binders.

I'm leaning towards joining the later group perhaps, but I go back and forth.
hahaha, i'm in the same boat as you are, but i'm totally obsessive compulsive when it comes to the packaging. I actually go out of my way to pick a box that's in good condition, it's sick I know. And I keep the disc in binders while keeping the boxes on the shelf, someday I'm gonna run out of space. When it comes to steelbooks though, I only collect the titles I want, and SatC is not on the list... it's interesting that they use the steelbook on a chick-flick though, usually it's for fanboys titles...
Old 09-22-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by johnsun
They taken the pages down, but the cover does look like the one on Amazon. I suppose they just make a mistake with an extra 0, but it was repeated on several pages when it was up..
Later
Thanks for the info!
Old 09-22-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Transworld Entertainment (FYE, Suncoast, etc) will have an exclusive tin for The Godfather collection. Sadly, it's SD only.
Old 09-23-08, 01:07 PM

^
Suncoast (all TWEC i assume)
Godfather restoration SD - It's actually a steelbook! i was quite surprised when i went into suncoast and saw it this morning since i didn't read anything about it here on dvdtalk... although i don't keep up with the steelbook thread that often.

i wasn't planning on buying the restoration, but the allure of the steelbook drew me in. plus, there's a $10 mail-in rebate, so it would be only $39.99 after, cheaper than the other retailers i believe. so eh, why not?

also,

Wal-Mart
Godfather, Godfather II, Godfather III - each INDIVIDUAL release has an exclusive lenticular slipcover and includes the godfather theme ringtone. $13.00 each.

Borders
NADA, ZIP, ZILCH.

Target
Sex and the City 2-Disc - Alternate slipcover (made to look like crocodile-skin?) and bonus disc with 3 featurettes

those are the only things i noticed... haven't been anywhere else. anyone got news on any costco exclusives?

Last edited by shyguy1083; 09-23-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-23-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the post about the Godfather steelbook. I had planned to pass on this, but the packaging has pushed me over the edge.

The Target Sex in the City is different than I'm used to seeing. It's the 2-disc set, but there isn't a 3rd bonus disc. Instead, it has a different Disc #2 than the other retailers -- the 3 featurettes are added to the existing bonus stuff.
Old 09-23-08, 01:55 PM

^ okay, thanks for the clarification on the Target SatC disc. I was confused when I just opened up the package and saw 2 discs. I thought they had forgotten disc 2 by mistake! i would've preferred that the bonus featurettes be on a 3rd disc, but i think the disc itself is pretty bare so i'm guessing it doesn't affect the compression.
Old 09-23-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
^ okay, thanks for the clarification on the Target SatC disc. I was confused when I just opened up the package and saw 2 discs. I thought they had forgotten disc 2 by mistake!
I did the exact same thing. It took a bit of comparison with some reviews to realize that the last 3 things on the second screen was the "exclusive" content that wasn't on everyone else's disc #2.
Old 09-23-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I did the exact same thing. It took a bit of comparison with some reviews to realize that the last 3 things on the second screen was the "exclusive" content that wasn't on everyone else's disc #2.
Will someone be kind enough to post what these features are exactly that are exclusive to Target? Wondering if it is worth getting another copy, as I am picking up both Best Buy & Future Shop steelbooks already.
Old 09-23-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Putting Sex on Screen (14 minutes)
The Ladies of Sex and the City (11 minutes)
HBO First Look (13 minutes)

All are EPK-type stuff with movie clips, interviews, a little behind-the-scenes footage. Nice to have, but nothing in-depth or earth-shattering. I definitely wouldn't buy a 2nd copy to get this.

However, since you've already bought 2 copies () you may be a bit more likely to be interested.

I do like the slipcover too, since it matches the color scheme of the box set. I'm vaguely tempted by the BB steelbook, but since this purchase is for my wife and she won't give two shits about any of this (she'd be fine w/VHS), I'll restrain myself.
Old 09-23-08, 04:33 PM

I dont know if it is exclusive to BestBuy but my L.A. Confidentila has a 3rd disc, a bonus soundtrack of the film inside.
Old 09-23-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

3 best buys...none of them w/steelbook, sex and the city.

1st time this has happened to me as far as a steelbook being this elusive.
Old 09-23-08, 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=shyguy1083;8957525]^
Suncoast (all TWEC i assume)
Godfather restoration SD - It's actually a steelbook! i was quite surprised when i went into suncoast and saw it this morning since i didn't read anything about it here on dvdtalk... although i don't keep up with the steelbook thread that often.

i wasn't planning on buying the restoration, but the allure of the steelbook drew me in. plus, there's a $10 mail-in rebate, so it would be only $39.99 after, cheaper than the other retailers i believe. so eh, why not?

I got mine at FYE and it was only $44.99 plus I also received the $10 rebate making it only $34.99...I would think they should be the same price..If you have a FYE in the area you might want to check, but I don't know if you want to go through all that trouble for $5.00.
Old 09-23-08, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Willo007
I dont know if it is exclusive to BestBuy but my L.A. Confidentila has a 3rd disc, a bonus soundtrack of the film inside.
Saw it at Walmart too, so I think this is not exclusive except maybe to the first printing of this release.
Old 09-23-08, 08:56 PM

Could anyone be kind enough to post a picture of Best Buy's Sex and the City the Movie Steelbook Edition including the Best Buy price sticker and SKU? I've called all 4 of my local Best Buy stores and none of them had any clue what I was asking for. Is this steelbook version extremely rare? Is it being sold at selected Best Buy stores?
Old 09-23-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Best Buy I went to had about 10. The UPC on this is different from the regular version; the UPC is 794043127328.

Just tell them it's the one that is pink metal, lol.
Old 09-23-08, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by dvdphilic
Could anyone be kind enough to post a picture of Best Buy's Sex and the City the Movie Steelbook Edition including the Best Buy price sticker and SKU? I've called all 4 of my local Best Buy stores and none of them had any clue what I was asking for. Is this steelbook version extremely rare? Is it being sold at selected Best Buy stores?
The steelbook shares the same SKU as the regular 2-disc. The SKU is 9004409. The SKU sticker on the steelbook just shows it as 9004409A. When either set is rung up in the system though, it'll show up just as 9004409. Bad news is that this means you can't just call the store and ask them to check stock on that SKU number, because it will show the store total of regulars and steelbooks combined. So you'll just have to either get someone on the phone that is actually nice enough to do a physical check or go to the store and hope that it's still there.

No clue on the rarity of the steelbook, if there is any rarity at all. When I was at my local Best Buy, I would say there were about 15 copies on their display. This was at 10AM right when they opened. There weren't any other customers looking for it right at open (like with 300's helmet and even the Grindhouse steelbooks) so I can't guage demand from my store. Ad says each store should have AT LEAST 10.
Old 09-23-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the Godfather steelbook deal in store only? I didn't see anything online about it on fye.com.
Old 09-24-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen
Is the Godfather steelbook deal in store only? I didn't see anything online about it on fye.com.
For the steelbook version, yes in store only.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.