Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the best Canadian DVDs of Canadian/non-Canadian movies?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the best Canadian DVDs? Are there any great Canadian movies on Canadian DVD that are more or less unknown and not available on USA Region 1? And are there any non-Canadian movies that have awesome Canadian DVD versions?

All I can think of is the 3-disc DVD version of France's BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF and Canada's C.R.A.Z.Y.

Last edited by toddly6666; 09-19-08 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-28-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Well, Canadian film is relatively under-represented on DVD, but I have managed to track down a few great Canadian films on DVD over the years. If you are interested in Canadian film, there isn't a better, more exhaustive primer than "A Century of Canadian Film" by Gerald Pratley. It can be bought ultracheap here. And here's an online resource for reviews of Canadian film (scroll down; on the right). Dinky web design, to say the least, but quite thorough.

-Goin' Down the Road (1970) is often hailed as one of the 2 or 3 best Canadian films ever made. It's a universal story about the tragedy of unattainable aspirations. The picture and sound quality on the DVD aren't exemplary, but it's all we have for now. Highly recommended, with a touching soundtrack by the great Bruce Cockburn. Here's a fairly inexpensive source.

-The National Film Board of Canada, which was once upon a time in the fiction film business, has dozens of its productions out on DVD. I believe they are all $20 each. The website isn't up-to-date or easy to navigate, but I dealt with some CS reps years ago who were helpful in telling me what was available and what wasn't. One guy told me the NFB was in the process of digitizing its entire catalogue, but I don't think that has happened yet.
These are the standout films I got on DVD from the NFB (I plan to order others eventually):
-Don't Let the Angels Die (1968) - A superb film from the late-'60s about the clash between conservatism and conformity and the cultural revolution.
-Nobody Waved Goodbye (1965) - This is also considered classic Canadiana. A poignant film about the choices faced by a young man and his pregnant girlfriend as they enter adulthood. The star of the movie, Peter Kastner, died last week. Some ripe acting (Kastner, especially), but a compelling story.
-One Man (1977) - I don't remember specific details of this film's story since I haven't seen it in about 3 years, but I remember it being very good (8/10).
-Waterwalker (1984) - An exceptional documentary about wilderness artist/canoeist Bill Mason's summer adventures in the wilds surrounding Lake Superior. One of the best docs I have seen, but the subject matter must be of at least marginal interest for you to enjoy.

-Apropos docs, as discussed in another thread, Canada's premier documentarian Allan King has a website where he sells his films. Steep cost per DVD, but worthwhile, depending on the film. DVDTalk's Yakuza Bengoshi reviewed two of his greatest films here and here. In addition to those two, I can strongly recommend A Married Couple (1969).

Here are some Canadian rarities that are available at some U.S. DVD retailers:

-Two Quebecois films, Les Ordres (1974), and Les Bons Debarras (1978), both once again viewed as all-time classics of Canadian cinema, and highly recommended by me as well. Amazon.ca and Amazon.com have both (cheaper at .ca), but they're rather expensive.
-Get Down (2001) (a.k.a. "Treed Murray") is one of the best Canadian films of recent years. DVD here.
-The Rhino Brothers (2001), despite the odd title, is a marvellous, realistic drama about family and fraternal squabbling. Despite whatever plot description you may read, the film doesn't really concern itself with hockey (I couldn't care less about hockey). DVD here
-Hell Bent (1994) is a searing drama about juvenile delinquents. Very disturbing. DVD here.
-If you like horror, Funeral Home (1980) is a movie for which I have a lot of affection. It's one of those maligned tax-shelter flicks, but William Fruet (Death Weekend) instills it with a lot of atmosphere. I think it's one of the better horror flicks of the '80s. The DVD is substandard, but cheap.

Last edited by Norm de Plume; 09-28-08 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Revisions, additions
Old 09-29-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't the Canadian DVD of Ginger Snaps superior to the US edition?
Old 09-29-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Isn't the Canadian DVD of Ginger Snaps superior to the US edition?
Yes, the Canadian release of Ginger Snaps is vastly superior. Another off the top of my head is the Canadian DVD of Cronenberg's ExistenZ. Additionally, the Good Will Hunting disc is anamorphic whereas the US release is not. It also contains an additional deleted scene if memory serves.
Old 09-29-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe the Canadian DVD of "Dogpark" has a extras that are not on the US version as well.
Old 09-29-08, 04:33 PM

I'll look out for some of these, as I'm visiting Quebec later this week,

The NFB release of Mourir à tue-tête is worth getting. Quite hard to watch in places, quite talky, but worthwhile. English subs are included.

I ordered the classic and pretty rare The Cat in the Bag from the NFB, but their customer service was terrible, so I won't be ordering directly from them again (film was on a DVD-R, too). Fine film, though.

The Pratley book Norm mentions is good as a prompt to seek out other titles, but features many poorly-written reviews. Good at the discount price, though.
Old 09-29-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Dazza
The NFB release of Mourir à tue-tête is worth getting. Quite hard to watch in places, quite talky, but worthwhile. English subs are included.
That is actually one of the ones I plan to order next, if I ever get around to it.
I ordered the classic and pretty rare The Cat in the Bag from the NFB, but their customer service was terrible, so I won't be ordering directly from them again (film was on a DVD-R, too). Fine film, though.
That's too bad. Everyone with whom I have dealt via email has been very solicitous. The DVDs are barebones and lacking proper covers, but they are official, and I have not found the quality wanting.
The Pratley book Norm mentions is good as a prompt to seek out other titles, but features many poorly-written reviews. Good at the discount price, though.
I agree not all the reviews are very well-considered, but where else are you going to find reviews of 2,000 Canadian movies in one place? ("Take One's Essential Guide to Canadian Film" doesn't have near the same breadth.) The Pratley book is kind of like the Maltin's guide of Canadian cinema; a valuable reference tool rather than a source of great insight.
Old 09-29-08, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume

That's too bad. Everyone with whom I have dealt via email has been very solicitous. The DVDs are barebones and lacking proper covers, but they are official, and I have not found the quality wanting.
Yep, was quite happy with the product (it was a surprise it was on a DVD-R, though), and as my order ended up being returned to them as undeliverable it caused a lot of problems. I understand that in itself wasn't their fault, but what was their fault was that they became quite belligerent and ended up charging me a small fortune to re-send the disc (which arrived poorly packed, and the box was smashed with the disc loose inside). I'm glad you've got on well with them, but my one direct dealing with them turned into a mess so I don't think I'll do that again. I'll still buy their films in-store when I can, though - C'est pas la faute à Jacques Cartier is one I'd like, and I'll probably get it if I see it later this week.

I agree not all the reviews are very well-considered, but where else are you going to find reviews of 2,000 Canadian movies in one place? ("Take One's Essential Guide to Canadian Film" doesn't have near the same breadth.) The Pratley book is kind of like the Maltin's guide of Canadian cinema; a valuable reference tool rather than a source of great insight.
Would agree - it's a fine jumping-off point. I'd always wanted such a book, and while I may have some misgivings about its execution, I was really pleased when I stumbled across it for less than $3 in Vancouver a few months back...
Old 09-29-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
eXistenZ

3 Commentaries and a documentary on Carol Spier
Old 09-29-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
eXistenZ

3 Commentaries and a documentary on Carol Spier
Already mentioned above.
Old 09-30-08, 05:10 AM

The Alliance Atlantis release of IRREVERSIBLE
Old 09-30-08, 02:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
didn't the 2003 film Nothing have exclusive extras on it's DVD release.
Old 09-30-08, 06:00 PM

^ it came with a commentary & "Making of..."
Old 10-11-08, 09:16 AM

Toddly,

I've mentioned this one before, and it's on sale on Amazon Canada. Not a flawless film, but it's good, and I really enjoyed it. I saw it at the TIFF the same day CACHE and SFLV had their North American premieres, and it didn't pale in comparrison. It was one of the more enjoyable films I saw at the festival that year. Anyhow, I know it eventually came out in Germany, but I don't recall seeing a US release in any format;

Last edited by splattii2; 10-11-08 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 12:15 PM

Some newer Canadian movies that I think are well done are

- Good Cop, Bon Cop
- Men With Brooms
- The Rocket

While I don't know if the Canadian releases are significantly better than American ones, they are still worth checking out.

Also CBC has some made for TV movies that are I find great like Networth, Trudeau and such. CBC has it's own online shop where you can purchase them.
Old 10-30-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I find that Mongrel Media releases are frequently superior to their US counterparts. The one that really leaps to mind is their release of Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media.