Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Death Note Movie

Old 09-17-08, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Note Movie

Got it from NetFlix and watched it last night. I really liked it alot. Can't wait to see the next installment. Yeah the CGI for the "God of Death" character is not great, but I don't care. I found the story very compelling and suspenseful.
Old 09-17-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought this was a thread about yet another Friedberg/Seltzer "Epic/Disaster/Date Movie"... this time, spoofing movies about suicides/serial killers and other thrillers.
Old 09-17-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you seen the anime series? If yes, how was the live action are similar with anime?
Old 09-17-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just started watching the anime. I'm saving the film for the horror challenge in October.

There's also a sequel, I think.
Old 09-17-08, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Have you seen the anime series? If yes, how was the live action are similar with anime?
Have not seen the animated series, but I plan to watch it now after watching the live action movie.
Old 09-18-08, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Don't forget to watch the sequel.
And if you liked 'L' theres a spinoff movie with him

Also, apparently a Death Note remake is on the way
Old 09-18-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
I thought this was a thread about yet another Friedberg/Seltzer "Epic/Disaster/Date Movie"... this time, spoofing movies about suicides/serial killers and other thrillers.
That's way too creative a title for those fucknuts to come up with. If they ever do make a serial killer spoof movie (and I'm sure they will) it will most definitely be called Serial Killer Movie
Old 03-02-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Death Note Movie

I rented this a couple of days ago. I loved the concept but I didn't much care for the feature.

I didn't find Light's backstory too compelling since his "shocking" revelation of the legal system was anything but. I would have preffered he already have a chip on his shoulder long before he found the death note. It just seemed way too contrived that he found the death note the very evening he found out that sometimes criminals get to walk free. (And his looking to the heavens when he first spotted the notebook was unintentionally hilarious.)

The acting was a mixed bag and the dialog was atrocious ("Kira is our saviour!"). But I kept watching because of L. I was curious as to who he'd be and I really liked his characterization when he was finally revealed. I just wish he and Light had gotten to square off more. It's because of that final scene between Light and L (and that bag of potato chips ) that I'm actually gonna bother with the sequel.

So is the sequel any better or is it more of the same? And what's the L spinoff like, Gunde? And is it simply called L or does it have another title?
Old 03-02-09, 11:46 AM
Banned

I rented this from Netflix last week also. I really liked it. I might get the 2-disk limited editions of all 3 films from Amazon.uk . And the 3rd film (the spin off) is called Death Note: L Change the World.
Old 03-03-09, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished watching the second film. Now that was a fun ride. It still suffered from some of the problems from the first but it was a heck of a lot better. I really liked how it all concluded.

Now I gotta rent L: Change The World.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-03-09 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-03-09, 05:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now I gotta rent L: Change The World.
Wasn't even aware of this, but I can't seem to find it at Netflix or Blockbuster...
Old 03-03-09, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The trailer for L: Change The World was in the special features of Death Note: The Last Name.

Spoiler regarding the ending of the second movie:
Spoiler:
L: Change The World takes place just before L's death at the end of Death Note: The Last Name. Apparently it takes place partially during the events of Death Note: The Last Name since Watari (L's assistant who was killed by Rem) appears prominently in the trailer.
Old 05-01-09, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well the remake is underway: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1
Old 05-01-09, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I rented this a couple of days ago. I loved the concept but I didn't much care for the feature.

I didn't find Light's backstory too compelling since his "shocking" revelation of the legal system was anything but. I would have preffered he already have a chip on his shoulder long before he found the death note. It just seemed way too contrived that he found the death note the very evening he found out that sometimes criminals get to walk free. (And his looking to the heavens when he first spotted the notebook was unintentionally hilarious.)

The acting was a mixed bag and the dialog was atrocious ("Kira is our saviour!"). But I kept watching because of L. I was curious as to who he'd be and I really liked his characterization when he was finally revealed. I just wish he and Light had gotten to square off more. It's because of that final scene between Light and L (and that bag of potato chips ) that I'm actually gonna bother with the sequel.

So is the sequel any better or is it more of the same? And what's the L spinoff like, Gunde? And is it simply called L or does it have another title?
I would highly recommend the anime, brilliantly executed in my opinion, and long enough that they can let the story breathe. Plus, from what I hear, the movies don't really follow the original story that closely, so it should be a pretty fresh experience.