Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Sex and the City - The Movie'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Michael Zupan's DVD review of Sex and the City - The Movie at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34698 and...
I consider the there is no reason give it 4 stars even if the quality is awsome.
The movie itself is 120 minutes commercial with over extended story line that could have fit in 10 minutes tops.

The writing is so lazy that the only African American character is not even integrated in the story; even looks that was filmed in another time.

In brief; this movie is an ego trip for Sara Jessica Parker; so poorly acted that reminded me Bo Derek's BOLERO which at least has the sex
Old 09-16-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Everyone has different opinions. It was a good movie for what it was. Just because it doesn't appeal to you that does not automatically mean it is undeserving of a favorable review from someone else who happened to enjoy it.
Old 09-17-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's right about Bolero though - it at least has the sex.
Old 09-17-08, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by abisio
I read Michael Zupan's DVD review of Sex and the City - The Movie at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34698 and...
I consider the there is no reason give it 4 stars even if the quality is awsome.
The movie itself is 120 minutes commercial with over extended story line that could have fit in 10 minutes tops.

The writing is so lazy that the only African American character is not even integrated in the story; even looks that was filmed in another time.

In brief; this movie is an ego trip for Sara Jessica Parker; so poorly acted that reminded me Bo Derek's BOLERO which at least has the sex
The 'African American character' was one that was necessary for the film. She wasn't really in the film scene by scene or anything, but she was an objective view of life outside of Carrie's clique. Carrie was going through some changes in her life and was rediscovering herself, and this character was integral to her getting there. I'm not really sure how this character wasn't integrated into the story. As far as looking like those scenes were filmed another time, I have no idea what you mean there either.

I'm not sure how lazy the writing could have been, you have four main characters, and more on top of that. They're all integrated into the story with their own ups and downs as their characters have their 'arc', and the script never seems to trip over itself.

If the film is an ego trip for a poorly acted Parker, then it must have been that way through the entirety of the series, because each of the four leading ladies played their characters to a T, and it really did feel like the HBO show in feature length to me. The film seemed like a natural progression. If you're one to generally think the series was this way or SJP's acting sucked, then I can see why you wouldn't like the film. How did you feel about those things before the movie out of curiosity?

I hope I didn't sound harsh, not my intention at all. Just my personal opinions.

Last edited by mzupeman2; 09-17-08 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-17-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Sorry about the off-topic

But NoirFan started it ...

Originally Posted by NoirFan
He's right about Bolero though - it at least has the sex.
... I just have to remark that the sex in Bolero is terribly unimpressive. I saw it as a teenager and was like WTF? This is not erotic ...
Old 09-26-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just an update for anyone who cares:

I've left a small updated comment right under the portion of the review where I said 'I can't comment on what makes this cut extended', as I hadn't seen the theatrical cut before. I have had that opportunity however now, and updated that portion of my review to say what scene was a definite extention.
Old 09-26-08, 09:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
The 'African American character' was one that was necessary for the film. She wasn't really in the film scene by scene or anything, but she was an objective view of life outside of Carrie's clique.

Made me wonder why in all the seasons of the show they never bothered on having a character to add that kind of angle before. To me, adding the character - and Jennifer Hudson - was just a lousy attempt to broaden the fan base.
Old 09-26-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The outside angle was something that was usually brought on by observing other new yorkers in the show, or by getting another view from the current significant other. When things were looking down, she had her friends. In this movie itself, the friends are referred to as 'the mirrors she can't escape', in regards to something I won't talk about for the sake of keeping a bit of the film 'hush hush'.

However, Carrie is facing the biggest heartbreak she's ever faced, she doesn't want to go out and do anything, and she doesn't want to suck up the pity from her friends. Getting the Jennifer Hudson character into the film, had somebody with good reason come into Carrie's life to help out with things Carrie didn't feel like dealing with, but that character also had similar things going on and without getting sympathy chatter, Carrie was able to pick up the pieces with someone who was from the outside of the clique.

I can see where you're coming from though, but I'm sure Hudson was there because she is a budding star, popular, recognizable, and fit the role well.
Old 09-27-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is really a good film, and I haven't had so much fun watching a movie in a long time. I went with my Mom, Sister, and a couple other friends, to watch it in the theater, and we had a blast. I really enjoyed the film, and felt it was a great progression from the television series. I picked up the 2-Disc Extended Cut (Best Buy Exclusive), and am glad to add this to my collection!
Old 09-29-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
But NoirFan started it ...

... I just have to remark that the sex in Bolero is terribly unimpressive. I saw it as a teenager and was like WTF? This is not erotic ...

Seriously. Cloris Leachman on "Dancing with the Stars" is more erotic.
FWIW, and continuing off topic, "10" is the only sexy Bo Derek movie. And that's only because her hack husband didn't direct it. Who wouldn't know how to shoot a sexy scene if it f'd him in the ass.