Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elite Squad (Padilha, 2007)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This highly controversial 2007 film is finally getting a limited US release this month.
ELITE SQUAD is an intense and astonishing look at Rio de Janeiro's notorious favelas, the volatile slums on the edge of the city, presenting an intimate look at the city's vast and intricate web of corruption. The elite BOPE force (State Police Special Operations Battalion) combats drug trafficking, keeping order has its price though and their actions make it difficult to distinguish right from wrong and justice from revenge. BOPE Captain Nascimento (Wagner Moura) is facing a crisis: in addition to the pressures of fighting within war zones, the Captain must find and train his own replacement so he can escape the day to day violence and be close to his wife who is about to give birth to their first child. Two of the force's newest recruits, are childhood friends: one is quick on the trigger to maintain order and the other refuses to compromise his ideals. Together they are the perfect replacement. Alone they may not have what it takes to survive.
U.S. Trailer

IMDB
Old 09-16-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought it was okay. I think it tried too be too much like COG but from the cops POV. I thought the doc. on the COG DVD did a much better job of telling their side of the story.
Old 01-11-09, 01:08 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Elite Squad (Padilha, 2007)

Just watched this on DVD.. I loved it.

Nascimento was excellent.
Old 01-12-09, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this yesterday and I was blown away. You'd never get a movie like this in the US. Everyone in this movie is an asshole or a hypocrite, yet you feel for all of them because their realities are honestly presented. It really makes you question who you'd side with in such a clusterfuck of a situation.
Old 01-26-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never caught the first one, but I just saw the sequel----really fantastic movie:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yq6qBCmO1KQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-20-12, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also have not seen the first, but watched the sequel. Loved it. If only the first was streaming...
Old 03-20-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I liked the first one better. Way more tension IMHO. The second is also very good though.
Old 03-20-12, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The sequel is on Netflix... I'm interested but do you need to watch the first film to really understand the storyline/characters, or does it work as a standalone? Also: how's the Garbage Plate at Nick Tahou's?
Old 03-20-12, 11:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ it's a standalone story.
Old 03-20-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The sequel can stand alone, but it is MUCH, MUCH better (and there is much more emotional context, especially between Nascimento and Mathias and Nascimento and his wife) if you see the original first. There is an inexpensive Hong Kong blu-ray option (region free, decent quality) out there, I got it from DDDHouse for around 10 bucks with shipping.
Old 03-21-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The sequel is on Netflix... I'm interested but do you need to watch the first film to really understand the storyline/characters, or does it work as a standalone?
Originally Posted by van der graaf
The sequel can stand alone, but it is MUCH, MUCH better (and there is much more emotional context, especially between Nascimento and Mathias and Nascimento and his wife) if you see the original first. There is an inexpensive Hong Kong blu-ray option (region free, decent quality) out there, I got it from DDDHouse for around 10 bucks with shipping.
Agree with this.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
how's the Garbage Plate at Nick Tahou's?
Sorry I can't help with that.