Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Smiley Face (Araki, 2007) — Stoner comedy with Anna Faris

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-13-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

IMDB

I caught Smiley Face last weekend (it hit DVD earlier this year) and have to say that it's a pretty good comedy for its genre. Anna Faris plays a directionless pothead in L.A. who mistakenly eats an entire batch of her roomate's pot cupcakes. The movie takes place during the rest of the day as she goes around trying to fix the situation (and the increasingly ridiculous problems created by her last attempted fix).

It's not on the same caliber as Pineapple Express (which I would hesitate calling a "stoner comedy") and isn't as funny as Half Baked's better bits, but it's funnier and more even throughout, and I was actually impressed by Anna Faris's performance. As the stupid blonde in the Scary Movie series, she barely garnered any chuckles from me but in this movie it actually works.

Plus, it's probably a more fitting last work for Roscoe Lee Browne than the Garfield sequel or the latest Friedberg/Seltzer installment.

Recommended.
Old 09-13-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i thought it was pretty hillarious but i've always found anna faris to be quite attractive and fairly funny. here's my favorite scene, this is exactly how my brain works when i'm high:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bmojtjhucy4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bmojtjhucy4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-13-08, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It just wouldn't be the same with another actress. When she freaked out trying to back out of the garage I almost had that fluid coming out of your nose experience.
Old 09-13-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Pretty good comedy. I've always enjoyed Anna Faris' stuff.
Old 09-13-08, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved this movie when i saw it in Jan. or Feb. early this year. It is Still the Funniest all out COMEDY I have seen all year. I liked In Bruges a bit better but that wasn't a straight-up comedy. Smiley Face is one of the best stoner comedies ever IMO. It was way better than Pineapple Express or the Harold and Kumar movies or other comedies this year like Tropic Thunder, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, or Semi-Pro. I laughed very much and thought Araki and Faris did great jobs.
Old 09-13-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone turn into a cockroach in this one? Do the numbers 666 turn up annoyingly in every scene?
Old 09-13-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't seen this yet, but... can I please get a dvd release of Nowhere?
Old 09-13-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm on the record for saying that, with very few exceptions, women just are NOT funny. Anna Faris is one of those exceptions. And even though she seems to be getting steady work in the field, I think she's underrated.
Old 09-13-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This seems like a bit of a departure for Gregg Araki.
Old 09-13-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
I came across this on Netflix's watch now. It was pretty enjoyable, although I don't really care for Faris.