Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Question About SNL Stars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-08, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About SNL Stars?

I am looking and I am seeing they are up to the 4th season that is coming out but I am really not into the older years. I grew up on saturday night live with Chris Farley, Phil Hartman, David Spade, some of the others. What year did most of this start?? I won't collect till it reaches the Motivational Speaker, The Computer Guy,Pat,Rob Schiner in the Pencil Guy (thats what we called him), The Roxbury Guys, good memories lol

Also has anyone noticed how soon the pattern of released are. Have all 4 release been within a year? Also how are the DVD Sets now. Are they original or do you notice anything cut?
Old 09-13-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The first season came out in late 2006, followed by the second in late 2007. The third came out in May of this year, so they may be going to two per year. I wouldn't expect them to be released any faster than that.

Farley, Sandler, and Spade were added as featured players in the 1990-1991 season, so it would take several years to get to that if they go in order. However, I think once they get done with the first five years they'll jump ahead to some later point, because the early 80s seasons are not well regarded (despite the presence of Eddie Murphy for a few years).
Old 09-13-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I also grew up, but I started on the mid/end of that era with Hartman as Clinton, Cajun Man, Kevin Nealon, etc. That era started in '87-88 but Roxbury began in 95-96 and Nick Burns was around 2000-01.

Even though I would get those sets, I'd like for the official SNL site to have far more clips or like a recommended/voted on list because some episodes have great sketches that are totally missed from the "popular" stuff. Things like Maya Angelou on Butterfinger, Penzoil, Froot Loops, the entire Stallone episode with the Orange Julius, all the Space: the Infinite Universe with Harry Caray sketches, Goth Talk, the 2000 Presidential Debates, the 1996 Halloween Election POV sketch, the Chris Elliot interview of Jeff Daniels and the bathroom scene from "Dumb and Dumber" played over and over, the Confucius sketches, the various Celebrity Restaurants like Trump's House of Wings, Derek Jeter's Taco Hole, the last website address available for stocktraders, Clownpenis.fart, all the Old Glory Insurance ads, the Star Wars Screen Tests... I'm sure there are some I'm totally missing, but there are tons of great sketches.

Last edited by gmanca; 09-13-08 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-13-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts
I hope maybe they can release all the early 90's shows with Mike Myers, Carvey, Hartman, Sandler etc in one big box set after they release them as single sets.

Did that crew in the early 90's have a nickname like the original Not ready from Prime Time Players had in the 70's?
Old 09-13-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am just looking for the episode with Jason Priestly... it was hilarious
Old 09-13-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanna see the Seagal episode with Michael Bolton again. Haven't seen that since Comedy Central years ago.

I hope they skip ahead to the late 80s.. I would stop after Season 4 and pick it up again once we got in to the Phil Hartman, Kevin Nealon, Jon Lovitz era.. then of course throughout most of the 90s.
Old 09-13-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just give me the Dana Carvey years.

Need me some Massive Head Wound Harry.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 09-13-08 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-14-08, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
i am just looking for the episode with Jason Priestly... it was hilarious
One of the best Sprockets ever...though that was due to Phil Hartman.
Old 09-18-08, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the sets out now are they full and nothing is edited out. All the original sketches and music artist are in each episode?
Old 09-18-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts
I think I taped that Seagal SNL show a long time ago on VHS

Those were the days.

it would be cool to see the Charlton Heston episode and the planet of the apes or Hartman playing Charlton Heston.