Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Kill Bill Volume One' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Kill Bill Volume One at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34580 and... And why does "Transformers" get the coveted DVD Talk Collector Series and "Kill Bill" does not?
Kill Bill wipes the floor with Transformers both for audio & video.
Old 09-10-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Can't speak for John, but I'm guessing because the Transformers disc had kick-ass extras, and the Kill Bill releases simply ported over the standard DVD extras, in standard def no less.

I actually disliked Transformers as a movie but gave the HD DVD (and Blu-ray) a big recommendation because the extras were, as Michael Bay himself might say, "Awesome!"
Old 09-10-08, 12:17 PM
Defunct Account

Shannon hit the nail on the head. I was pretty unimpressed with the extras and thought they could have done much more.

Another think to take into account is that I didn't write the Transformers reviews. I wouldn't have given it the coveted Collectors Series because I didn't think the movie was that great.
Old 09-10-08, 01:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by rover2002
And why does "Transformers" get the coveted DVD Talk Collector Series and "Kill Bill" does not?
The DVD Talk ratings are just the rating of that individual reviewer, so there will not be much consistency.

Multiple reviewers may review the same title and give it widely different ratings.
Old 09-10-08, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
The DVD Talk ratings are just the rating of that individual reviewer, so there will not be much consistency.

Multiple reviewers may review the same title and give it widely different ratings.
Thats what i'm seeing.
Thanks Trevor
Old 09-11-08, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Can't speak for John, but I'm guessing because the Transformers disc had kick-ass extras, and the Kill Bill releases simply ported over the standard DVD extras, in standard def no less.

I actually disliked Transformers as a movie but gave the HD DVD (and Blu-ray) a big recommendation because the extras were, as Michael Bay himself might say, "Awesome!"
Yet this also has lack luster extras!
dvdtalk.com/reviews/32693/bridge-too-far-a/
I'll say no more as it seems pointless.
Old 09-12-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Yet this also has lack luster extras!
dvdtalk.com/reviews/32693/bridge-too-far-a/
John didn't review that one, though...there's no "standard" for reviewers on DVD Talk to follow...they each incorporate their own personal standards - so your "beef" with that review shouldn't apply to John's own reviews.
Old 09-12-08, 01:51 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

If you have a suggestion to improve the reviews, by all means just make it. This isn't the first time someone was upset over a comparative rating nor will it be the last but having watched (and engaged in) numerous debates with other reviewers at several review websites, the concept of "consistency" is a myth.
Old 09-12-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Houstondon
This isn't the first time someone was upset over a comparative rating nor will it be the last but having watched (and engaged in) numerous debates with other reviewers at several review websites, the concept of "consistency" is a myth.
As it should be. Sites like this do not operate from a hive mind. Different reviewers will (and should) have different opinions. Asking for consistency in ratings from reviews written by completely different people is absurd.

(This comment is not directed at you, Don. It's directed at the posts you're responding to.)
Old 09-12-08, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Perhaps the confusion comes from the term "DVD Talk Collector Series" itself. That sounds like the site (hence a group of people) "award" rather than individual.

"Skip it", "Recommended", "Rent-it", etc... Those sound like individual opinions.

"DVD Talk Collector Series" sounds like something that was voted on, or a group given designation.

Last edited by The Cow; 09-12-08 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 09:14 AM
Banned

Kill Bill wipes the floor with Transformers both for audio & video.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 09-15-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Good review, but this line
After director Quentin Tarantino's rapid rise to fame with Reservoir Dogs and the classic Pulp Fiction, his third film, Jackie Brown received mixed reviews.
isn't quite true. JACKIE BROWN was very well reviewed at the time, currently 85% on RT, and is IMO Tarantino's most confident, skillfully made, and self-assured work. I think it is viewed in retrospect as a "mixed result" because the box-office was not even half that of PULP FICTION, and most moviegoers were gearing themselves for "Pulp Fiction 2" when the film came out.

I still think it's his best movie, but that's just me.
Old 09-15-08, 07:13 PM
Defunct Account

I like the film too and wasn't meaning to put it down. That said, when it was in its theatrical release I remember reading quite a few negative or luke warm reviews. Being too long and overindulgent were the main critiques, if I remember correctly.
Old 09-16-08, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just finished watching both volumes tonight and I gotta say... what an amazing experience it was. I can't think of any other Blu-ray release that has impressed me more (for the film itself and for the audio and video). My one complaint is that the extras on these releases aren't even close to being enough for a truly definitive release and weren't presented well (non-anamorphic -- seriously?). Though extras won't be enough to convince me to buy these again (only the now infamous TWBA could ever do that).

I feel like this was my best Blu-ray purchase thus far. As for the reviews on DVDTalk: I enjoyed reading them quite a bit and agreed on all accounts.
Old 09-20-08, 10:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
Perhaps the confusion comes from the term "DVD Talk Collector Series" itself. That sounds like the site (hence a group of people) "award" rather than individual.

"Skip it", "Recommended", "Rent-it", etc... Those sound like individual opinions.

"DVD Talk Collector Series" sounds like something that was voted on, or a group given designation.
Exactly. We had a substantial thread on this last year or so, with some consensus on changing that name or making it a group vote standard. Like many threads proposing change here, it was all talk and died a quiet death.