Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What exactly is Star Trek: Alternate realities?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-09-08, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Star Trek but I'm more of a casual fan, not a trekkie or anything and I keep seeing ads for the Star Trek: Alternate realities DVD coming out and I was wondering what it is? I know it somehow combines the old Star Trek crew and next generation folks but is it fan made or something? Is it a real movie with the real actors reprising their roles? Would I like it if I like the show and movies? Sorry if these questions are goofy but I thought someone here might know. Thanks!
Old 09-09-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just another fan collective with "alternate reality" style episodes from the various shows.
Old 09-18-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
For the uninitiated, there have been six different "Star Trek" TV series: The Original Series, The Animated Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise. (There are seven if you count the Remastered Original Series, with updated special effects, as a separate series.) The Fan Collective series of DVDs are simply compilations of episodes built around an underlying theme. They are targeted to fans who lack either the interest or the money to purchase season/series sets, but are interested in these overarching themes. Previous collections have focused on the Borg, Q, Time Travel, Klingons and the Captains.

Throughout each series, there have been episodes dealing with alternate realities. Sometimes they involved time traveling; sometimes they went to alternate dimensions. The most prevalent of these storylines was the Mirror Universe, introduced in the Original Series episode, "Mirror, Mirror." This version of reality was revisited several times in Deep Space Nine, and a two-part prequel story was done near the end of Enterprise. Note that this collection, other than the Mirror Universe episodes, are not directly connected with one another. You are not getting a crossover, multi-part story spread throughout these episodes. They are more like a "greatest hits" set.

The forthcoming "Alternate Realities Collective" collects several of the most popular episodes from the five live action series (there is much debate whether the Animated Series is part of the same canon as the rest of them). Most, though not all, of the Mirror Universe episodes are included, along with many other stand-alone episodes. Also, from what I have heard, the episodes included from the Original Series are from the current Remastered version.
Old 09-18-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Looks pretty good.

http://trekweb.com/articles/2008/09/...-Box-Set.shtml