Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

TNA iMPACT! (360/PS3/PS2) - Sept. 9th

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TNA iMPACT! (360/PS3/PS2) - Sept. 9th

The only mainstream alternative to the WWE SD vs. RAW series is released today in TNA iMPACT! on 360/PS3 and PS2. The early buzz is that it's a very strong engine, but is terribly shallow in every possible way.

The 6.7 IGN review can be found here: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/908/908532p1.html.

I'm a glutton for punishment, so if I can find a copy tomorrow I'll post a mini-review here as soon as I get enough time with it. I wish they took another 6 months to polish it and add some actual match types and deeper moveset, but it sounds like it was too far down the road and production on the next game is already underway.

The graphics are said to be outstanding and I bet gameplay is fun for a while, I'm just hoping I like this enough that I can pass on the next SD vs. RAW redundancy (but I doubt it).
Old 09-09-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
They've been hyping it like crazy during TNA tv shows (showing the in-game entrances when wrestlers come to the ring, saying how incredible it is, wrestlers being excited to be in the game, etc.) and on the same channel (SPIKE) they devoted a whole episode of Gametrailers to it. That's definitely the target audience, but I don't think viewership is that large, so I wonder how this is going to do.

Barring an incredible hands-on review after release, I think I'm skipping out on this year's wrestling games and will pick it up next year when they work out the kinks and update the roster (of course, the catch is if it doesn't sell, will the sequel come out?).
Old 09-09-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Barring an incredible hands-on review after release, I think I'm skipping out on this year's wrestling games and will pick it up next year when they work out the kinks and update the roster (of course, the catch is if it doesn't sell, will the sequel come out?).
The sequel is my big concern as well. They've got my $60 this time around, and I'm really expecting to enjoy it for a while, knowing it's flawed. But with the trouble Midway is in, and how much they're banking on this to sell well, it's going to be interesting to see the numbers with the deservedly mixed reviews it's getting.

Another TNA blunder is that this is not going to be available in any stores today. It looks like it's shipping today and will be available in most stores tomorrow. Sending excited folks out to pick up a new release based off a huge marketing push and then not having it available isn't the way to build a loyal fanbase.
Old 09-09-08, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is this that I keep hearing that the game doesn't include the ankle lock and the scorpion deathdrop? Is it true? If that is the case, how do they expect people to pay money for a game that doesn't include the finishers of 2 of their most popular wrestlers? It's 2008, not 1992, and things like this aren't tolerable anymore on a wrestling game.
Old 09-09-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dx23
What is this that I keep hearing that the game doesn't include the ankle lock and the scorpion deathdrop? Is it true? If that is the case, how do they expect people to pay money for a game that doesn't include the finishers of 2 of their most popular wrestlers? It's 2008, not 1992, and things like this aren't tolerable anymore on a wrestling game.
I'm not sure about the deathdrop, but I know it's been confirmed that the anklelock isn't in there.

Each wrestler only has 1 finishing move, which takes place only from a front grapple. There are no back grapples or ground/top rope finishers. I believe each wrestler only has ~7 grapple moves, but I don't know if that number has been confirmed.

I don't think it's unfair to say they are releasing an unfinished game here. They supposedly motion captured over 2000 moves, of which only a fraction were able to be incorporated into the game. Midway is desperate for cash and needs to get some capital into the company before they face serious consequences and hopefully will get the opportunity to correct a lot of the shortcomings in this game, which they have promised for the next one.
Old 09-09-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So it's like All Pro Football 2K8? "Pay us $60 now and we promise to make the next one better?"

2K8 at least had a legacy behind it... but I'm not sure I want to donate $60 to a potential wrestling series that might only have one entry.
Old 09-09-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also forgot to mention that one of the positives of this release is that it will be the first wrestling title to support DLC. The only announcements so far is that Curry Man and Petey Williams will be the first two DLC releases available, but they haven't been real forthcoming with what else (other than new wrestlers) will be part of the schedule.
Old 09-09-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Is that free DLC, or paid DLC? If it's the former, great! If it's the latter, screw them...
Old 09-09-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Is that free DLC, or paid DLC? If it's the former, great! If it's the latter, screw them...
Hasn't been announced, but if I were a betting man I'd bet the house that we're paying for it...
Old 09-09-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not paying $60 for the beta version of TNA wrestling especially considering they shit the bed on the PS3 version. If they can't get that version right just cancel or delay it. I really like the control scheme and the license, but this will have to wait for next years version or the bargain bin.
Old 09-09-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm not paying $60 for the beta version of TNA wrestling especially considering they shit the bed on the PS3 version. If they can't get that version right just cancel or delay it. I really like the control scheme and the license, but this will have to wait for next years version or the bargain bin.
What's the issue with the PS3 version? Hadn't heard anything about that.
Old 09-09-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm kinda surprised that they excluded mostly all of the knockouts from the game, considering they tend to get higher ratings than the rest of the guys on the roster. I know they are planning a Knockouts game but still. I think I read that Christy Hemme is the only female in the game.
Old 09-09-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BravesMG
What's the issue with the PS3 version? Hadn't heard anything about that.
Frame rate issues, tearing, lower quality graphics. Basically everything that screams lazy port of the 360 version.
Old 09-09-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It also takes 17 minutes to install, and there's no voice chat online for the PS3 version.

Here's a bit about the differences between the two versions:

If you dig TNA's gameplay, you'll dig online -- however, unlike over on the Xbox 360, there is no voice support for TNA on PlayStation 3.

The lack of voice chat is just one of several differences between the 360 and PS3 versions of iMPACT!. Overall, the game's a whole lot sharper and more detailed on the 360. The PS3 characters look good, but their 360 counterparts look like they're pulled from TV. Also, there's some slowdown when cycling through wrestlers at the character select screen and during entrances like AJ's that make use of lots of fireworks. PS3 also suffers from a lot more clipping issues. While playing the PS3 version of iMPACT!, I saw heads dipping into the mat, hands going through opponents, and during a Kurt Angle match, a crotch stomp near the ropes teleported to the outside mid-animation. None of these problems popped up like this on the 360. iMPACT! also took 17 minutes to install on my PS3.
Old 09-09-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only got to play it for a couple hours awhile ago, and I had fun. Don't know if it will get old fast though. The AI was miles ahead of Smackdown vs Raw 2008, but that's not saying too much.

I'll always have Fire Pro Returns.

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 09-10-08 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-09-08, 10:38 PM
Banned

Why does the game take 17 minutes to install in the PS3? Aren't games supposed to be plug and play?
Old 09-09-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why does the game take 17 minutes to install in the PS3? Aren't games supposed to be plug and play?
Yeah, I'm confused about this too....

And are the frame rate "issues" only with online play? If so, I don't really care. But I'd like to know about both these issues because I may just get the 360 version then.
Old 09-10-08, 01:08 PM
Banned

The IGN review is up and the score is higher that what the comments say:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/908/908525p2.html

I don't understand why Midway didn't gave a full effort to this game, but this is also a mirror of what TNA has become: a lot of hype and not much of a delivery. This game makes them look even more second rate and nowhere near WWE.
Old 09-10-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been looking forward to this for a while, so take it with a grain of salt, but this is pretty fun. The issues mentioned are all present, but with as stale as SVR has become, it all feels fresh or something. I've only played a handful of matches, I'll put up more detailed thoughts once I have a chance to really get into it.

Graphics are top notch on 360. The real feeling I get from this whole thing is the reviews are right on. If Midway gets the chance to put out a second one and does everything they've said they would, it could be something special.
Old 09-10-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went ahead and picked up my pre-order at GameStop. I got a bonus DVD with about 90 minutes of matches, most are Ultimate/Elevation X matches, and inside the game itself is another DVD with three matches and 10 minutes of behind the scenes on the making of the game.

So far I've played three basic matches as Sting against Booker T just to get the hang of the controls, and I'm actually enjoying it so far. I love the animations and the feel of all of the moves. It just looks and feels so fluid and hard hitting, much better than SD for the most part.

As for the controls, they're a little weird and yes you are limited, but I knew that going in. The reversal system is great though, as there seems to be a reversal for just about every move in the game that I've seen so far. It's a nice change of pace from the SDvsRAW games, but I could see strict fans of that series not being able to get into this game.

It's been said before, but what you have here is the start of what could become a great series. The biggest flaws so far seem to be how limited you are, both in terms of the number of moves in the game, and all of the various options we are used to in wrestling games.

The graphics are just awesome, I love the visuals.
Old 09-10-08, 06:36 PM

I tried to pick this up today.. went to best buy, the ad said it would be avalaible after 2pm.. no dice they told me to call later.. but i'm not gonna drive back later when i'm already there.. i was there at 2.. so i go to walmart next door, nothing.. my last resort was a target down the street.. they had never heard of it, and it wasn't in the ad so i couldn't show them.. dam! and i really wanted to play this game today.. i havn't played a wrestling game in ages.. anybody else having a hard time finding this?
Old 09-11-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I'm glad its looking a little better than the early reviews said. That Q&A almost killed the game. I picked up a copy on eBay last night for $45 shipped, so if I don't like it, the burn doesn't hurt too bad.
Old 09-11-08, 01:29 PM

my brother got a 360 & the game last night and its look great so far, but he told me the game stalled when he was in the create-a-wrestler-mode
Old 09-14-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the game for the 360 on Sept. 10 and so far it has been pretty good, its a refreshing alternative to SD vs RAW.

The only downside is the pinning system is crap, i'm afraid my controller stick will break since you have to wiggle the stick left to right like a crazy person to fill the pin meter.

Also the story mode is pretty good, but the A.I. is so damn cheap and reverses all your moves. You can dominate the whole match and their body will only be on yellow, all they do is couple of ddts or kicks and their impact meter fills up and they just hit their special once and the match is over since your body goes red within 2-3 minutes with only few moves. Very unbalanced.

Also theres only 17 superstars available from the start where the rest are unlockable (Jarrett, Abyss, Tomko, Sonjay, Eric Young, Brother Ray, Nash, Jay Lethal, Senshi, Suicide, Don West, Afro Thunder). Also the Impact zone is the only arena available from the start and the rest have to be unlocked by playing story mode.
Old 09-14-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The best thing about the game is the graphics and animations, both of which are top notch, maybe the best ever in a wrestling game.

It's just so freakin' limited. Just about everyone has the same moves, other than the finishers, and there's not a lot there to change the moves to. As mentioned above, the game is very unbalanced in story mode, and leads to some of the most frustrating moments I've ever seen in a wrestling game. Even the FPW series on one of the hardest levels of difficulty isn't this frustrating to me.

It also doesn't help that in the story mode, it seems like more often than not you're fighting against some of the most generic CAWs that I've ever seen. There are so few wrestlers in the game, that much of the story is taken up by you taking on these randomly generated CAWs.

If the game wasn't as limited as it is I'd say it's a must own, but there's just not much meat on the bone with this one.

It's very much worth playing just so you guys can see, and feel, just how great the graphics and animations are in the game. They have a great foundation for the series though, and I'll be looking forward to the sequel for sure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.