Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony KDL32M3000 replacement bulb

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I own a Sony KDL32M3000 32" LCD and I think the bulb might be going but for some reason I cant find any info on the bulb. Its hard to describe what it is doing but it is almost like the picture is going really slow followed by trails behind everything. I shut it off for a bit but it started doing it again. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-07-08, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That TV is a flat-panel. I don't think it has a bulb in the traditional sense.
Old 09-07-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting. I just assumed all LCD had bulbs, but that would explain why I couldnt find any info on it. Could it be the cable box?
Old 09-07-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are backlights for panels, that would be more appropriate terminology. I'm not sure if they are ever worth replacing as prices keep coming down for just replacing the whole TV.

But trails is not due to the light source. I don't know, I suppose the electronics could cause the TV to do this if the video processor somehow got trashed. It does seem more likely to be in the source, if you ask me. Test by comparing with other sources like DVD, that will tell you if it is the cable or the TV.
Old 09-07-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for all the help. I tried unplugging the cable box and plugging the cable directly into the TV and the picture is still moving really slow with the trails. It almost seems like a problem with the refresh rate maybe? I did move earlier in the week and the tv was fine until last night so is it possible something could have broke inside? I really hope not.

I am going to try leaving it unplugged for awhile and see what happens.
Old 09-07-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That does sound like the TV, then. That's basically a different source when you change it like that. How's your warranty?

You could also try changing the output of the cable box from 720p to 1080i, back and forth or something.
Old 09-07-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Sony has been a pain in the butt as far as their HD TV's have been. Just based on personal experiences, I used to own a rear projection LCD, the 42A10. Two years of ownership and I get red clouds. Had the optical engine replaced then there were blue ones, had two more replacements after that, same issues. It's as if the parts they made were all going bad around the same time. Lame. I've heard of way too many complaints about their flat panels, albeit those complaints aren't as rampant as with their old rear projection lines.

If you do have to unfortunately go the route of a new TV, get a Samsung or Panasonic. I'd say Samsung over Panasonic though. Just don't go with Sony again. Please.
Old 09-07-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unfortunately, the cable box is a Pace model and I am not sure how to get into the menu to change anything. My old box was a Motorola and I could easily get into the menu.

I bought the TV last February so I believe there is only a one year warranty.
Old 09-07-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Sony has been a pain in the butt as far as their HD TV's have been. Just based on personal experiences, I used to own a rear projection LCD, the 42A10. Two years of ownership and I get red clouds. Had the optical engine replaced then there were blue ones, had two more replacements after that, same issues. It's as if the parts they made were all going bad around the same time. Lame. I've heard of way too many complaints about their flat panels, albeit those complaints aren't as rampant as with their old rear projection lines.

If you do have to unfortunately go the route of a new TV, get a Samsung or Panasonic. I'd say Samsung over Panasonic though. Just don't go with Sony again. Please.
To each his own I guess. I've owned three Sony TVs in the last 20 years, including my current SXRD, and all have performed flawlessly.

Since Sony no longer makes the SXRD line, if I were to buy today my first choice would be a Panasonic plasma, followed by a Samsung LCD.

Originally Posted by Deadman31
I bought the TV last February so I believe there is only a one year warranty.
I checked the Sony Web site, and your TV does indeed have a 1-year warranty. If you bought it in February of this year I'd be contacting Sony tomorrow morning about a repair or replacement.
Old 09-08-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I went ahead and made an appointment for Friday. The TV is still under the original warranty so hopefully this will be quick and painless. Since it is under warranty I shouldnt have to pay anything correct? If they cant fix it does that mean they will replace it?

I actually really like this TV alot. It has great picture quality. I have always felt Sony was not worth the price but this TV changed my mind a great deal. I really don't care for Samsung at all.