Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Want a Pioneer Kuro but not the price

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm thinking about upgrading my current TV. Right now I have the Pioneer PDP-4350HD (43" Plasma) and love it but it doesn't do 1080p and I really want to go that direction. I totally totally crave a 50" pioneer kuro (mmm those tasty black levels) but the price is so high compared to others of the same size. Does anyone have a kuro now and is the extra price worth it? Is there another TV that can be called kuro equivelent or dare I say kuro killer that I could get?

not a priority but I was thinking of getting a LCD this go round instead of plasma. I play a lot of games and there has been burn in (not permanent, run the tv for a few hours and it goes away) but I would like to try to avoid the situation all together. Is there a worthy LCD I should look into? (with the same reqs. as above)

thanks
Old 09-04-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
There newer more expensive LCD's are nice and of better quality then in the recent past. But for overall picture quality your simply not going to beat that Kuro IMO. In fact I kind of find your two paragraphs a little odd. You ask about a Kuro or Kuro killer, but then switch to LCD.

You can get a "nice" 1080p 47" Samsung for $2,000 or less, easily. But IMO it won't have near the pq of the Kuro. Not even close. You can get the higher end LCD form Samsung, Sony, LG but then you are going to spend close to if not as much as the Pioneer.

Why do you want 1080p? If budget it a concern why not get the 720p Pioneer 50"? Or you could save a little by looking at the Panasonic 50" 1080p plasma (it should be less the Kuro) and think it will have a better pic then the majority of LCD's. Heck, I'd take the Panny 720p plasma over the majority of LCD for overall pq.

Don't get me wrong...IMO there is nothing wrong with the LCD's. I ended up getting one. But for pq the Panny or Pioneer Plasma's have a better picture.
Old 09-04-08, 10:38 PM

Only reason I would want a LCD is because I play a lot of games. I guess a better question would be is it possible to get an LCD that has the same qualities as a Pioneer Kuro? Based on what you say (and my own research) I'm guess not but I had to ask.

1080p for blu ray. The Pioneer that have now already does 720p
Old 09-04-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Well how big of a set are you looking at?

This is debatable and you need to do your own research, but IMO your not going to see the difference between 720p and 1080p of a 50" set or small unless you are sitting way to close.

Again, some will argue this, but it is hard to find articles that say you will. It is not a matter of source (such as BD or HD) but the resolution your eyes can see. Your eyes simply are not good enough to see all the detail 1080p has on that small of a set (again unless you sit to close).

You can do your own research, and you will find plenty to support this argument. And you will find some that say in the right conditions, you could see the difference. However even if you believe you could see the difference, it is widely accepted that resolution is only about the 4th most important factor is overall picture quality. Such things as black level, color, etc are more important to overall picture quality then resolution.

So I stand by my earlier statement. A 720p Kuro or Panny plasma will have a better picture (even with BD or HD) then the majority of 1080p LCD's especially on something as small as a 50" screen.
Old 09-05-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a Pioneer Elite ordered this past winter then had to cancel. I was ready to take the plunge regardless of the price difference. Of course losing one's job can make you think twice about "money's no object". I ended up with the 58" Panasonic and it is an awesome set. Pioneer is the price it is because it is the best quality hands down. Whether the difference in picture is worth the price is up to you.
Old 09-05-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by squidget
Only reason I would want a LCD is because I play a lot of games. I guess a better question would be is it possible to get an LCD that has the same qualities as a Pioneer Kuro? Based on what you say (and my own research) I'm guess not but I had to ask.

1080p for blu ray. The Pioneer that have now already does 720p
Yeah, the Sonly XEL-1, but that's 11" and $2500. So per inch, not a wise investment.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665327724
Old 09-05-08, 01:07 PM

The room is small so anything over 50 would be too much. Also, since I want to upgrade my TV it just made sense to take the plunge and go 1080p but I get what your saying. I think i'll save the 1080p for a bigger room (basement HT, mmm) and go for the projector. Thanks sdallnct!
Old 09-07-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a 50" Kuro, and wouldn't trade it for any other set out there. Yes, it's worth the extra $.
Old 09-07-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at the used market, perhaps. There's people with flatscreen upgraditis. Every time Pioneer annouces better specs, some folks pull the old one down and go buy the latest and greatest. I've seen at least a fifteen or twenty folks selling older Kuros/Elite plasmas in the last year (But even used, and at a great discount, I found I was quite happy with Panny plasmas rather than laying out so much extra for a 1 year old Kuro).

-beebs
Old 09-08-08, 08:07 PM

What's the take on the new Laservue sets Mit's is coming out with this Winter?
Old 09-08-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
What's the take on the new Laservue sets Mit's is coming out with this Winter?
Link?
Old 09-09-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
The 65" Laservue is $7,000. Ht Guys said it looks great, but not worth the $4,000 premium. The only knock they say is that these 1st gen sets screens refract the laser light a bit.

www.LaserVueTV.com

http://www.htguys.com/archive/2008/September09.html