Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Max Ophuls’s restored 'Lola Montès'

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-04-08, 02:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

A restored version of Max Ophuls's film 'Lola Montes' will be featured at the New York Film Festival as it's spotlight retrospective (Sept 26 - Oct. 12), after having a prior screening at this year's Cannes festival

(from the Film Society of Lincoln Center):

Additionally, Max Ophuls’s final masterpiece Lola Montès will be screened at the New York Film Festival for the third time, now as the spotlight retrospective. A biography told in flashbacks of notorious dancer and courtesan Elizabeth Rosanna Gilbert—aka Lola Montès—Ophuls’s film is a meditation on time and the evanescent nature of fame and riches. Several earlier attempts to restore prints of Lola Montès have encountered difficulties due to Ophuls’s use of the relatively unstable Eastmancolor process. The 46th New York Film Festival will screen a gleaming new restoration from the Cinémathèque Française, which incorporates all available footage.

~

The restoration is detailed in September's issue of American Cinematographer. The film will get a limited theatrical release later in the year/early 2009.
Old 09-04-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
The 46th New York Film Festival will screen a gleaming new restoration from the Cinémathèque Française, which incorporates all available footage.[/i]
"Gleaming new restoration" eh? I like the sound of that!

The film will get a limited theatrical release later in the year/early 2009.
And hopefully a spiffy new Criterion release soon after.
Old 09-04-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish I lived in a city that played old movies. And that's why I'm moving to LA next year. Well, not the exact reason but part of it.
Old 09-04-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely looking forward to this! I would suspect that it will show up at the Film Forum for a week or two following the screening at the NY Film Festival.
Old 09-08-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For all you region-free Ophuls fans out there, Second Sight is releasing Caught tomorrow.