Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark City: The Director's Cut (Alex Proyas)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you guys think of the newly released director's cut of Dark City?

Dark City was such an amazing movie and the director's cut improves upon the movie in every way. I compared a few scenes here and there and was surprised by how much editing affected the overall tone of the movie.

Also, I never realized how The Matrix is pretty much identical to Dark City.
Old 08-31-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the director's cut.

Yes 'The Matrix' plagiarized heavily on the concept. A 'control' world and the idea of someone being a conduit to it. Lots of stuff like that.
Old 08-31-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
it's possible that the Matrix truly plagiarized Dark City, but the script for the Matrix was written well before Dark City came out in theaters, so any thematic plagiarizing would have had to have been done based on seeing or hearing about the Dark City script. the thematic idea is similar, but both movies explore it in a much different way, so i think the plagiarizing claims are unimportant, if not a little silly.

having just watched Dark City: The Director's Cut, i realized that Dark City was not as good of a movie as i remembered. it definitely has some wonderful things going for it, but it also has some flaws that bring it down a notch from where i had originally put it in my head.
Old 08-31-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has the psychic fight at the end been altered at all? That part stands out in my mind as a less that stellar part in the theatrical version.
Old 08-31-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Has the psychic fight at the end been altered at all? That part stands out in my mind as a less that stellar part in the theatrical version.
It's still in there, but the special effects are a lot better. That part always bothered me, borderlining on ridiculous, but the new edition makes it work better.
Old 08-31-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Yes 'The Matrix' plagiarized heavily on the concept.
I don't think "plagarized" is the right term, since The Matrix was in production before Dark City was released. There are similarities between the two, but then the idea of people being locked in a fake world and lives was nothing new in the world of sci-fi when these films were released.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mat...nterpretations
Old 08-31-08, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the DC for very subtle reasons. It removed the awkward music cue for Det. Walenski's first screen appearance and it also toned down both sound effects and visual effects for the 'tuning' (the wallet scene). I dig it!
Old 08-31-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I hadn't watched Dark City in so long that I didn't remember what was new in the Director's Cut. Either way, very enjoyable.

As for The Matrix, other then a similar theme to suggest that it plagarized Dark City is silly.