Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

So I've finished all the Michael Connelly books... now what?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I discovered Michael Connelly about a year ago, and couldn't stop reading. Now that I have read them all I'm not sure where to go next. Can anyone reccomend similar authors that I might enjoy? I guess I enjoy the fast paced, easy reading, persistant character, serial killer, detective genre. Something that is easy to pick up and read for an hour on the train. I have read Jack Kerly and enjoyed his books. Thanks.
Old 08-27-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think you'll enjoy John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series. Start with the first: Rules of Prey.

If you enjoy a little humor with the story, try Robert Crais' Elvis Cole series. (First one is The Monkey's Raincoat.) The books get more serious as the series goes along.

You also might try Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder series. You might start with When the Sacred Ginmill Closes.
Old 08-27-08, 11:17 AM
PAG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also would suggest Robert Crais' Elvis Cole series.
Old 08-28-08, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the suggestions. I had heard of the Elvis Cole series. I will request some books at my local library. I go in there and look around, but for some reason it's hard for me to find anything that looks good that way.

I will make sure to start at the beginning of the series this time. I didn't do that with the Bosch (Connelly) books. I read it in completely random order and it made for some confusion in my head haha.
Old 08-28-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would also be remiss if I didn't recommend my favorite book in the genre: Ross Thomas' Chinaman's Chance. Your library should have a copy.
Old 08-28-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
http://stopyourekillingme.com/

Good place to research books of the mystery/crime genre.
Old 09-13-08, 02:02 PM
Cool New Member

Dittos on Sanford and Crias. Also ... George Pelecanos (Wasington DC, grittier). He has on-going characters, Derek Strange and Terry Quinn, but for a taste his last book The Turnaround did not involve them. ...Jonathon Kellerman...James Patterson (Cross books)
Old 09-13-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by moorehed
Thanks for the suggestions. I had heard of the Elvis Cole series. I will request some books at my local library. I go in there and look around, but for some reason it's hard for me to find anything that looks good that way.

I will make sure to start at the beginning of the series this time. I didn't do that with the Bosch (Connelly) books. I read it in completely random order and it made for some confusion in my head haha.
What is your favorite Connelly book?

I've read The Poet, Black Echo, and I'm 2/3 of the way through Lincoln Lawyer. Enjoyable reads so far, but not sure where to head next.
Old 09-13-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently read through all of George Pelecanons' books. I would say if you are a fan of "The Wire" you would enjoy them. They do not have the same characters in every book, but there are 2-3 book cycles with the same protagonists and characters show up in cameos in other books.
Old 09-14-08, 10:31 AM

George Pelacanos, Ian Rankin(his Insp Rebus is kind of a Scottish Harry Bosch), Robert Crais, John Connelly and Don Winslow are all very good. Avoid James Patterson-his books are poorly written with little characterization or description. They read like outlines for a novel that was never fleshed out. Also there is a swedish writer named Henning Mankell whose Wallender novels are very good.

Last edited by Lastyear; 09-14-08 at 10:32 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 09-14-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
What is your favorite Connelly book?

I've read The Poet, Black Echo, and I'm 2/3 of the way through Lincoln Lawyer. Enjoyable reads so far, but not sure where to head next.
The Poet and The Lincoln Lawyer are his best standalone novels, so from here I would recommend reading through the Bosch series in order. All of them are good and some are excellent. (I think you'll get more out of the series if you read them in order and follow the development of Bosch as a character.)

For people looking to try Pelecanos, if you'd like to read a recent one, go for The Night Gardener. It's very good and one of his most accessible novels.