Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Legend of the Lone Ranger'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Stuart Galbraith IV's DVD review of The Legend of the Lone Ranger at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34366 and...

"But much worse was the truly odious use of country singer Merle Haggard, who performs a ballad-style history of the Lone Ranger written by Dean Pritchford (Footloose), and sung throughout the picture. It's god-awful, far worse than anything else about the film: "One thing about that Cavendish," Haggard yammers, unrhythmically, "He knew how to set a trap. And he finished off the rangers that day in Byrant's Gap." And, if you ask me, that's a load of claptrap, you sap."

Hilarious.

I know just what you mean, Stuart. I was so impressed with the trailer I took a date to the movie.

First and last.
Old 08-21-08, 02:51 PM
Defunct Account

I never saw this movie because the producers sued Clayton Moore (who played the Long Ranger on TV in the 50's) and demanded that he not wear his LR mask in public (which he used to do in public appearances.) I had watched the reruns for years and thought it was horrible that they'd deprive the actor of making some money on the side. When the movie was released, and bombed, I was very happy.

Soon after, I read an interview with Moore who said that demand for him to make public appearances skyrocketed after the lawsuit hit the news. Kodak (I believe) fashioned some wrap-around sunglasses for him that resembled the famous mask and he even landed a job as their spokesman for a while. Sometimes things do work out for the best.
Old 08-22-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While it's not a great film, I was hoping to finally add this piece of Lone Ranger history to my collection. I don't think I can stomach a DVD that's this poorly made. Thanks for the review.