Penn & Teller Bull****: Good Ol' Days - 08-21-08

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Showtime, 9:00pm CDT

The Season 6 finale:

In episode 610, the sixth season finale, the merry myth-shatterers puncture the nostalgic but unrealistic tendency of humans to long for an idyllic past - one that, in truth, never really existed.
The season has been finishing strongly after some inconsistency and maybe some disappointments (for me, particularly, the Being Green episode). I think this one could be real good. I hope I'm not disappointed.
Old 08-21-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I think it's been a very good season overall. Maybe their strongest since S2.

As for the gold ol' days, I do often find myself nostalgic for the 80s. Granted, I don't think the 80s is 'old days' for some of us.
Old 08-21-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the good old days for me were the 60s. And they really were good, because I was a kid. Running around the woods, playing guns, having rock fights, sandlot baseball. They were good old days. The politics, not so much.
Old 08-21-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, remember back in the first season when they still had all the cool things to debunk -- alien abduction, mediums, recycling. Those were days.
Old 08-21-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I think you can watch an episode of Mad Men to get the same effect this episode's going for.
Old 08-22-08, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk God

This one earns a meh from me. Good to see Eddie Haskell though.
Old 08-22-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Not a big fan of this episode. Their looks at shows past kind of killed it for me. I just didn't find Penn & Teller through the ages very funny. And of course they just kept going to it. Good idea for an episode though!
Old 08-22-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great idea for an episode but as often happens with their best ideas they go about it wrong. They should have hammered away at the theme of people wishing they could have lived in the Good Ol' Days and shown what they didn't have and what we have now. No need to restrict the time periods either. The show did it the lazy way and it wasn't all that good. Kind of funny but it could have been a classic.
Old 08-22-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^^ Yep, I agree. I kept hoping that P&T would point out to the '80s guy that he is living a complete contradiction. He says he still lives in the '80s and yet we see that he writes a blog and does a podcast. So, you live in the 1980s but choose to profit from modern technology? How very convenient for you.
Old 08-22-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
This was weak. They could have shown how the past was remembered without the negative things that actually hapened, and even confronted people about it, but instead they went for nerds and cheap laughs. Might as well have talked to Star Trek nerds.
Old 08-22-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Weak, but nice boobies on the barista.
Old 08-22-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
yeah, terrible episode. not one I would've ended the season with.
Old 08-22-08, 09:14 PM

The episode successfully made its points about the Renaissance time, but not so much about the 1950's and 1980's. It wasn't all that successful in convincing me that being nostalgic for the latter two eras is necessarily a bad thing.
Old 08-22-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was really hoping they'd drive home the fact that longing for the "good old days" is something that is rarely ever done by non-white people for obvious reasons. I know they hinted at it very briefly, but that was an angle I hoped they'd explore.
Old 08-24-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
This episode almost seemed designed to be the final one (as opposed to just being a season finale). Anyone know if the show's definitely coming back?

I guess I'm one of the few who thought most of this season's shows were pretty weak. I think maybe they're just running out of good ideas.
Old 08-24-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

There was a promo after the credits that said that P&T will be back next year with new episodes.
Old 08-24-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This episode almost seemed designed to be the final one (as opposed to just being a season finale). Anyone know if the show's definitely coming back?

I guess I'm one of the few who thought most of this season's shows were pretty weak. I think maybe they're just running out of good ideas.
I don't think it's any shortage of ideas. There are enough to last a lifetime. Bullshit is infinite. I think the problem is that in earlier seasons when they had a particularly good idea (Environmental Hysteria and Recycling - seeing as how I'm big on environmental subjects, I'll use those as examples) they put everything they had into them and made some classic shows. More recently (Endangered Species, Being Green and I'll add Good Ol' Days), these very good show ideas missed most of the main points and were big, disappointing turkeys.

It's almost as if nowadays the quality of the idea is inversely proportional to the effort they put into it.

Last edited by movielib; 08-25-08 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-25-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tommyp007
Weak, but nice boobies on the barista.
Not that great of an episode, but at least "Bullshit!" usually has some eyecandy to make their weaker efforts more tolerable. I REALLY liked this week's offering.

Maybe they realized that this was a sub-par episode, so that's why they had her in all of P&T's "current day" segments, if only just in the background. Leave it to illusionists to utilize distraction.
Old 08-25-08, 02:44 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
I don't think it's any shortage of ideas. There are enough to last a lifetime. Bullshit is infinite. I think the problem is that in earlier seasons when they had a particularly good idea (Environmental Hysteria and Recycling - seeing as how I'm big on environmental subjects, I'll use those as examples) they put everything they had into them and made some classic shows. More recently (Endangered Species, Being Green and I'll add Good Ol' Days), these very good show ideas missed most of the main points and were big, disappointing turkeys.

It's almost as if nowadays the quality of the idea is inversely proportional to the effort they put into it.
It seems like earlier seasons took the approach of "Here are some things that reasonable people on the other side of the issue believe, and here is why they are bullshit." More recent seasons seem to take the approach "Here are some things that nutjobs on the other side of the issue believe, and here is why they are bullshit."
Old 08-25-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF
It seems like earlier seasons took the approach of "Here are some things that reasonable people on the other side of the issue believe, and here is why they are bullshit." More recent seasons seem to take the approach "Here are some things that nutjobs on the other side of the issue believe, and here is why they are bullshit."
I agree. Or they'll take an issue that some reasonable people might agree with but pick the extreme nutjobs to represent them.
Old 08-26-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
yeah, terrible episode. not one I would've ended the season with.
It seems to be that their season-ending eps tend to be kinda weak. BS seasons seem to start strong, then peter out.

But I'd like extra tits, I mean, er, extra foam with my titties, I mean latte.