Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sex Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 05:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Sex Drive

Is it just me, or does this movie look hilarious?

red band trailer NSFW
Old 08-20-08, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No.
Old 08-20-08, 05:53 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
No.

considering that website of yours, you'd think you'd have a better sense of humor.

Old 08-20-08, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sorry, just looks too generic.

Let me predict he ends up sleeping with the chick who rides with them.

Seth Green will probably be good, like always, though.
Old 08-20-08, 08:02 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
it's not just you. it looks hilarious.

and as far as whether or not you know what happens in this movie has nothing to do with whether or not it's funny. this isn't a fucking whodunit.
Old 08-20-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have passes to a screening of the flick next Tuesday.

I'm going to be honest. I am a sucker for teen sex comedies. With Seth Green, James Mardsen and Clark Duke involved in the project; it can't be that bad. It looks like a throwback to sex comedies from the '80s, so hopefully it can keep that spirit alive and still be fun (which is what most sex comedies today don't know how to do).

And we can all agree that this looks light years better than next week's College which looks like a near retread of the direct-to-video masterpiece American Pie Presents The Naked Mile with Drake Bell and an American Idol reject.

And just for the topic, 2004 was the last year we had any good teen sex comedies with the underrated EuroTrip and The Girl Next Door, which in my opinion, is one of the greatest teen sex comedies ever made. Don't get me wrong, I love last year's Superbad, but the double-punch combination of EuroTrip and The Girl Next Door was phenomenal.
Old 08-20-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks kinda funny, Marsden looks great and for some reason i'm a sucker for that big suit.
Old 08-20-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Looks kinda funny, Marsden looks great and for some reason i'm a sucker for that big suit.
"The big Mexican won't go down."
Old 08-20-08, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be seeing a screening of this next Wed. I have absolutely zero expectations, so I will let you know!
Old 08-27-08, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This movie is going to tank. The trailers, especially the red-band trailer, don't do the flick justice.

This may be one of the filthiest (and mean-spirited) mainstream comedies in the past few years, but it also might be one of the smartest.

Don't get me wrong as the plot of the film is very cliched, but the set-up of the comedy is genius. Every plot point brought up within the film's quick 90-minute running time has a payoff -- no idea or outcome is left behind. Jokes are being thrown at the audience in a wild succession and the great thing is most of them stick and work fucking wonders. Even scenes that fall flat still have a decent payoff only because the director and writer are shooting out jokes in every direction. I haven't seen an audience reaction as great as this film in quite a while -- and that's saying something after seeing films like Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder, Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Superbad to sold out crowds.

The film has heart and it's characters stick to the film's demented sense of reality, but what my friend pointed out that I think really makes the film work is that it's sense of humor is really awkward. The film has no problem putting every single character through embarrassment and the best part is the cast is game for the challenge. While James Marsden is actually pretty hilarious, Clark Duke steals the show.

Spoiler:
The filthier jokes involve our characters involved with public urination, public defecation, a Cleveland Steamer (I shit you not -- no pun intended), glory holes, Amish sex, and abstinence exhibitions.

I can't rave more about the flick. I was surprised and I can't wait to see it again when it comes out in October.
Old 08-27-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
sorry to threadjack but has anybody else realized how lucky James Marsden is? The man has been on an incredible box office run with barely any name recognition. X-Men 1-3, Superman Returns, Enchanted, Hairspray and 27 Dresses. thats a lot of money.

glad to hear this movie is funny, the trailers didn't completely sell me but it did strike a chord.
Old 08-27-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks good to me.
Old 08-28-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Just got back from an advance showing and this movie is FUCKING HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Screw Superbad.....
Fuck American Pie....
40 Year Old what......
Knocked Up, please......

This movie kicks ass, I laughed my ass off during the whole entire thing!

Matthew Chmiel and me share the same sediments.

GO SEE THIS IN OCTOBER!!!!

Watch this Red Band Trailer

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1000...ler_and_images

Shit is funny huh!!!! Now go see it when it comes out.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1000...rType=playlist
Old 08-28-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
"She wants me to show her my d."

I may be quoting that line for ages.

I would say it's not as quotable as say 40 Year Old Virgin or Knocked Up, but I would say it's funnier.

EDIT: And I will admit the red-band trailer can be a lot better. Hopefully Summit learns how to market a sex comedy (which is a hard feat) sometime within the next two months.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 08-28-08 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-28-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Ehh, I've heard that line so many times in the past (just not in movies)... Sarah Marshall was a little more creative with in that regard
Spoiler:

Brian: You don't need to put your P in a V right now.
Peter Bretter: No, I need to B my L on someone's T's.

That said, the R-trailer for this movie looked pretty funny when I saw it a while back, I'm sure I'll see it at some point.
Old 08-28-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mercury&Solace
Matthew Chmiel and me share the same sediments.
Are you both geologists?
Old 08-28-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Spoiler:
"She wants me to show her my d."

I may be quoting that line for ages.

I would say it's not as quotable as say 40 Year Old Virgin or Knocked Up, but I would say it's funnier.

EDIT: And I will admit the red-band trailer can be a lot better. Hopefully Summit learns how to market a sex comedy (which is a hard feat) sometime within the next two months.
Spoiler:
The skater guys sitting on the steps at the party, and eventually finding out it was them in the tuner car, fucking rocked. I was laughing my ass off every time they had lines. rofl Plus when Ian was hooking up with that trailer trash chick, and whatever she called it when she was about to shit on him shit steam roller or something rofl
rofl rofl rofl
Old 09-05-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice to see there's positive response. I've had this movie on my radar since I saw the trailer a few weeks ago.
Old 09-06-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Nice to see there's positive response. I've had this movie on my radar since I saw the trailer a few weeks ago.
Go see it opening night, I am again.
Old 09-06-08, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoever said they really enjoyed The Girl Next Door, I agree, a charming, funny, underrated movie, with a hilarious performance by Christopher Marquette, who sadly since Freddy vs. Jason seems to have dropped off the planet.

On the other hand, I thought Eurotrip was strained, at best.

Greatly looking forward to slipping into the screening for this movie at the theater where I work next Monday.
Old 09-08-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Whoever said they really enjoyed The Girl Next Door, I agree, a charming, funny, underrated movie, with a hilarious performance by Christopher Marquette, who sadly since Freddy vs. Jason seems to have dropped off the planet.

On the other hand, I thought Eurotrip was strained, at best.

Greatly looking forward to slipping into the screening for this movie at the theater where I work next Monday.
I LOVED The Girl Next Door.
Old 09-12-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What sets Sex Drive apart, what differentiates it from the pack and makes it well worth the trip out to see, is the third act. Because virtually everything they do in the first two acts, almost every joke they make, almost every side trek they take, is really just a set up for the climax when almost every plot point comes screaming head on into one gigantic cluster fuck of awesome. The climax of this movie isn’t funny. Funny makes you laugh. This had me howling, doubled over in my chair in a frenzied fit of mirth, and when I finally came up for air, tears were streaming down my cheeks. Every joke at this point KILLS and then is immediately followed by another. And as the interpersonal relationships begin to get tied up, each one is earned. Each conclusion feels right, not because that’s the way the genre stipulates but because that is the ending each of these characters worked towards and achieved, despite their obstacles.
Both Harry and Massawyrm (where said quote is pulled from) from AICN loved the movie.
Old 09-12-08, 10:30 AM

This movie looks great!
Old 09-12-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The trailer looks pretty funny and with the raving in this thread, I might be there opening night.

= J
Old 09-12-08, 11:55 AM

"The Big Mexican Won't Go Down" made me laugh so hard I snorted.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.