TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Reality TV Cliches - revisited....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reality TV Cliches - revisited....

Hey all,

It's about time for another thread to see if anything has changed in "reality" media.

Well, I must say that any commercial that's in Black and White and has shaky camera-work must be real! I always make sure to buy whatever product is offered - especially if the announcer has an English accent.

Sometimes, they will even have a hidden camera, and that's for sure a good product!

*sigh*

I think the worst offender now is the Pizza Hut series of commercials. It's painfully obvious 'fake' reality.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. It they don't try and fool people into thinking it's 'real,' then that's fine. But the fact that people see it and believe it just drives me nuts!

Later,

Matt!
Old 08-18-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
From the title, I had no idea that this was a thread about commercials that emulate reality tv...

I wonder about the following "real" commercials:

Windows Vista: the one where they get ordinary people who are intimidated by Vista to try it under some ridiculous pseudonym.

Carl's Jr: Supposedly they create a fake restaurant and serve their 6 dollar burger to people who hate their burgers, and they praise the burgers not knowing where it's from.

It is getting ridiculous, though. The burger king burgers shouting outside of a Mcdonalds, the fake Coke Zero suing Coke, etc.
Old 08-19-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
Yeah, that Pizza Hut commercial where the lady is dressed up like a french chef offering her gourmet chocolate dippers only to rip off her smock to reveal she's a Pizza Hut employee is absolutely ridiculous. She talks to the people as if she just pulled off the most elaborate scam ever, when in reality the samplers would most likely have thought the dippers were just as good had they known they were Pizza Hut from the beginning.

And I'll tell you what, had I planned an elegant evening at a very upscale restaurant only to find out they served me greasy Pizza Hut pasta I'd be pissed!
Old 08-20-08, 11:00 AM

I don't believe the Pizza Hut or Carl's Jr. (aka Hardee's) commercials are real "candid camera" moments. They all seem staged/scripted to me. The behavior of the customers has an unnaturalness about it.
Old 08-23-08, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
And I'll tell you what, had I planned an elegant evening at a very upscale restaurant only to find out they served me greasy Pizza Hut pasta I'd be pissed!
What you have to love about that pasta commercial is they mention how these are "New York" diners, which, in their ad agency's eyes, clearly means they have far more sophisticated taste than anyone else. I especially admire that goblin guy with the afro hair who points at his pasta a few times and gives the "thumbs up." How metropolitan and chic!
Old 08-25-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
on one pizza hut bit, a woman says the food is "decadent"