Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Horror Film" gene discovered

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 09:24 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2535...ers-laugh.html

A newly discovered gene might explain why some people can laugh at a horror film and tolerate it more easily while other "more evolved" individuals find the same film troubling and therefore unpleasant.

Horror film gene that makes some scream while others laugh

The secret of why horror films make some people scream in terror while others may simply laugh has been revealed.

By Stephen Adams
Last Updated: 9:41AM BST 11 Aug 2008

Jack Nicholson, portraying 'Jack Torrance' in the movie 'The Shining' directed by Stanley Kubrick Photo: AP

The spinning heads and shaking beds of The Exorcist made some faint, others simply laughed Photo: MPTV

Scientists say different versions of a single gene linked to feelings of anxiety can explain the way in which some people simply cannot abide such movies, while others enjoy the suspense and the gore.

The findings may explain why it is that over the past 35 years people have had wildly different reactions to the classic horror film, The Exorcist.

While many screamed and some even fainted in cinemas at scenes of spinning heads and shaking beds, others simply laughed.

A particular variant of the 'COMT' gene affects a chemical in the brain that is linked to anxiety, they have found.

People who have two copies of one version of the gene are more easily disturbed when viewing unpleasant pictures, the scientists discovered.

That version of the gene weakens the effect of a signalling chemical in the brain that helps control certain emotions.

The scientists found that those carrying two copies of it were significantly more startled by frightening images than others.

By contrast, those who had one copy of the gene and one copy of another version were able to keep their emotions in check far more readily.

The study, published today in the scientific journal Behavioural Neuroscience, also found that those with two copies of the latter gene were also able to keep a lid on their anxiety more easily.

Researchers from the University of Bonn in Germany made the discovery after testing 96 women.

Then they showing them three different types of pictures - emotionally "pleasant" ones of smiling babies and cute animals, "neutral" ones of items like electric plugs or hairdryers, and "aversive" ones of weapons or injured victims.

The Exorcist was banned by some councils in Britain upon its release here in 1974, but broke box office records in the US to become the biggest selling horror movie of its day.

Psychologist Christian Montag, one of the University of Bonn researchers, said he thought the gene variant linked to scaring more easily had only recently evolved, as it was not present in other primates like chimpanzees.

He said the propensity to scare more easily could have offered an evolutionary advantage to humans.

While bravery appears to be prized in the animal kingdom, recklessness could have been a disadvantage to humans with their larger mental capacity to go away and figure a problem out.

Mr Montag said: "It was an advantage to be more anxious in a dangerous environment."

However, he said a single gene variation could account for only some of people's anxiety differences, otherwise, up to half the population would be anxious, he said.

"This single gene variation is potentially only one of many factors influencing such a complex trait as anxiety," he said. "Still, to identify the first candidates for genes associated with an anxiety-prone personality is a step in the right direction."

Last edited by baracine; 08-13-08 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-13-08, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That makes sense! I also think it has something to do with how many scary movies one has watched. I used to get tense, but now 99% of the time I just laugh.
Old 08-13-08, 09:42 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JPRaup
That makes sense! I also think it has something to do with how many scary movies one has watched. I used to get tense, but now 99% of the time I just laugh.
Doesn't that mean that you're "devolving", i.e. losing your evolutionary advantage?
Old 08-13-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm less evolved because i like horror movies and don't get scared easily by them? BULLSHIT. how about i'm just smart enough to realize what i'm watching is a movie and there is nothing to get scared about?
Old 08-13-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Our tax dollars hard at work. Find me a cure for cancer, not a reason why some people get scared at horror movies and some don't. Next they'll be telling me why I hate chick flicks.
Old 08-13-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i'm less evolved because i like horror movies and don't get scared easily by them? BULLSHIT. how about i'm just smart enough to realize what i'm watching is a movie and there is nothing to get scared about?
^ This.

And what about if you're not scared and also not laughing?
Old 08-13-08, 10:33 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Our tax dollars hard at work. Find me a cure for cancer, not a reason why some people get scared at horror movies and some don't. Next they'll be telling me why I hate chick flicks.
You pay German taxes?

Who gets to decide what's worthy of study and what's not? Do you think psychology is worthless? Are you saying that every researcher in the world, regardless of training or interest, should devote themselves to one problem, and ignore all the others?
Old 08-13-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
You pay German taxes?

Who gets to decide what's worthy of study and what's not? Do you think psychology is worthless? Are you saying that every researcher in the world, regardless of training or interest, should devote themselves to one problem, and ignore all the others?
I probably should have read more of the article than just around the bold areas. I think psychology is infintely important in all societies, but a study telling us specifically why some people get scared during a horror film seems like a waste of valuable intelligence to me. These scientists could be working on, I would assume, numerous other psychological questions that need answering. This would hardly seem like something of paramount importance to me if I were working in that field.

So, German tax dollars hard at work!
Old 08-13-08, 11:17 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I probably should have read more of the article than just around the bold areas. I think psychology is infintely important in all societies, but a study telling us specifically why some people get scared during a horror film seems like a waste of valuable intelligence to me. These scientists could be working on, I would assume, numerous other psychological questions that need answering. This would hardly seem like something of paramount importance to me if I were working in that field.

So, German tax dollars hard at work!
If scientists can understand the ways people process anxiety-inducing stimuli, then many very positive applications can result. The fact that they used horror films as a component of their study is an interesting sidebar for people who are into movies, but was obviously just a means to an end.
Old 08-13-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
^ This.

And what about if you're not scared and also not laughing?
The article is completely dumb. Being less scared is different from finding something funny.
Old 08-13-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
I agree. I won't deny the genetic findings but there are many reasons behind the reactions people have towards horror movies, the big ones being how many horror films you've seen and how well the film is made.
Old 08-13-08, 12:28 PM
Suspended

What this study is in fact saying is that people who are stuck with the "What, me worry?" gene can laugh at any kind of gore and thoroughly enjoy the horror movie experience because they never really feel involved or threatened by any of it, whereas the "more evolved" individuals who actually worry about certain things being out of place - like bloody organs out of their proper cavity or limbs out of their socket - have a survival edge on everybody else because they can actually see the shit flying towards the fan way ahead of everybody else in real life.

And I think that makes a lot of sense... I'd rather be a worry wart than an insensitive, unfeeling Neanderthal.
Old 08-13-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by baracine
And I think that makes a lot of sense... I'd rather be a worry wart than an insensitive, unfeeling Neanderthal.
But if you can't accept the a movie is just a movie then you're a dumbass.

I understand what the study is actually implying but I think they've hurt their casue by trying to connect the results with movies. There's way too many variables to consider with movies that all of us movie geeks would be more than happy to point out.
Old 08-13-08, 01:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I understand what the study is actually implying but I think they've hurt their casue by trying to connect the results with movies. There's way too many variables to consider with movies that all of us movie geeks would be more than happy to point out.
Other possibility: The truly evolved, intelligent and perceptive viewers have totally abandoned the field of horror movies to the less sensitive individuals.
Old 08-13-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Other possibility: The truly evolved, intelligent and perceptive viewers have totally abandoned the field of horror movies to the less sensitive individuals.
Judging by the quality of horror movies released these days you may be on to something. Getting through some of them is like torture (and not the kind of torture I laugh at )
Old 08-13-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
What this study is in fact saying is that people who are stuck with the "What, me worry?" gene can laugh at any kind of gore and thoroughly enjoy the horror movie experience because they never really feel involved or threatened by any of it, whereas the "more evolved" individuals who actually worry about certain things being out of place - like bloody organs out of their proper cavity or limbs out of their socket - have a survival edge on everybody else because they can actually see the shit flying towards the fan way ahead of everybody else in real life.

Seeing a misplaced organ in real life will put people on edge regardless.

If you're put on edge from a movie doing that, you're more or less overanxious. People being incapable of disassociating fact from fiction has to be some sort of learning disability.
Old 08-13-08, 02:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Quick aside. I notice people mentioning stuff like, "it's just a movie".

While obviously true, when I watch a movie I'm completely "in" it. To me, that is one of the chief reasons to watch films, to escape reality and become completely immersed in something else.

I love horror films because good ones can scare the crap out of me. I still do things like shield most of my face and just peek out between my fingers for large parts of some films.

Horror, drama, comedy, whatever; when I'm watching I'm lost to myself and my surroundings usually.
Old 08-13-08, 04:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichC2
If you're put on edge from a movie doing that, you're more or less overanxious. People being incapable of disassociating fact from fiction has to be some sort of learning disability.
The converse of this is that making fiction look like reality used to be the purpose of art (with some exceptions).

And you'll note there is nothing in this article saying that people who are deeply affected by a horror film don't appreciate it as a form of art. Most children like being scared when it's understood that what scares them is only a game or a fairy tale.

Last edited by baracine; 08-13-08 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-13-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Horror movies blow.
Old 08-13-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Horror movies blow.
You're so evolved.
Old 08-13-08, 05:37 PM
Suspended

Horror movies blow.
I think gore hounds should find comfort in the fact that they're not missing a whole chromosome, as many suspected, but just a tiny little gene.
Old 08-13-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Horror movies blow.
Most modern ones certainly do, but what about (ahem) The Innocents, Don't Look Now, Witchfinder General,Eyes Without a Face, Rosemary's Baby, Psycho, Peeping Tom, Val Lewton's films or the silent German Expressionist pictures? You can't dismiss an entire genre like that.
Old 08-13-08, 07:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Most modern ones certainly do, but what about (ahem) The Innocents, Don't Look Now, Witchfinder General,Eyes Without a Face, Rosemary's Baby, Psycho, Peeping Tom, Val Lewton's films or the silent German Expressionist pictures? You can't dismiss an entire genre like that.
I'm certainly not dismissing the whole genre. You will note that all the films you mention (with the possible exception of Peeping Tom - the film that marked the passage from quality horror films to extreme bad taste or at least questionable judgement) are suspenseful but free of what we would call today "gore for gore's sake".

In other words, the "old school" films could still be enjoyed by healthy and evolved human beings possessing a complete set of genes, whereas today's horror films can best be withstood by mutants, throwbacks or people who have desensitized themselves to violent depictions through repeated abuse of their nervous system.

Last edited by baracine; 08-13-08 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-13-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm certainly not dismissing the whole genre.
I know you weren't. I was responding to Popcorn's post.

Peeping Tom - the film that marked the passage from quality horror films to extreme bad taste or at least questionable judgement.
Are you saying Peeping Tom itself is in bad taste and/or exercises questionable judgement? Or that the frank sadism of the film marks it as a transitional bridge between the relatively chaste horror films that preceeded it and the gorier efforts that were to follow?
Old 08-13-08, 08:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Are you saying Peeping Tom itself is in bad taste and/or exercises questionable judgement? Or that the frank sadism of the film marks it as a transitional bridge between the relatively chaste horror films that preceeded it and the gorier efforts that were to follow?
I'm saying both actually. There is something in this film that is either too much or lacking. It raises all sorts of questions, like "Why would anyone make a film on this subject?", "What is the purpose of involving the viewer in the crimes?", "What does this film accomplish?", "What is its morality?" These are all unanswered questions that can only be resolved with the credo of the gore-hound: "Who cares what it means as long as people are scared!"

Psycho came out after Peeping Tom, if I'm not mistaken. It certainly shocked the critics at least as much as Peeping Tom but it was a popular success because so many elements made it transcend the horror genre, in particular, its music, its atmosphere, the technical competence of the story-telling and the fact that we learned to care for the victims as well as for the psychopath and that even the camera seemed to take pity on its subject.

Last edited by baracine; 08-13-08 at 08:18 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.