Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon DVD Deal of the Week: The Rat Patrol: The Complete Series - $19.99 Reg $37.99

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon DVD Deal of the Week: The Rat Patrol: The Complete Series - $19.99 Reg $37.99

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty good deal, I'm surprised no one's posted on it yet.
Link
Old 08-12-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this the cheapest it's been?
Old 08-12-08, 03:39 PM

Thanks that was a great price
Old 08-12-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, I need to stop spending money, but I can't resist buying this set at such a great price.

I can still remember playing Rat Patrol with my buddies back in the early to mid 70's.

Thanks for the heads up, OP.
Old 08-13-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

great price...I'm in!
Old 08-13-08, 07:45 PM
FSA

Hammer99: Thanks a lot. Just ordered it.
Old 08-13-08, 09:22 PM

Thanks, Hammer99. I know I watched this as a kid but I only remember bits and pieces of the show. I forgot this was really a 1/2 hour TV show instead of a full hour. But, that's cool. The "bite-sized" episodes should be fun to watch and be a kid again.
Old 08-14-08, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fantastic deal...the seasons still sell for around $20 each separately (although they do go on sale from time to time). Still, no way that you can touch this price anywhere else. I bought it for $24.99 when it was released & sold my individual sets (opened) for $35 combined.

You're getting 58 episodes of a pretty decent war show. Sure, it's no Combat! and the shows get repetitive (how many different scenarios can you come up with in North Africa?), but they're still fast-paced little dramas. I read an interview with the actor who played Hitch in which he says that the second season suffered from being moved from a foreign location (Spain?) back to LA and the suits demanded budget cuts (resulting in indifferent scripts & direction). In other words, RP suffered the same fate as many high-concept series from that era...find a successful format, cut the budget, & run the formula into the ground.

Having said that, I'm putting my sand goggles on, roaring over the dunes, and going back in for 2 more copies for Christmas gifts.

Thanks for the alert, Hammer!

Last edited by creekdipper; 08-14-08 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-14-08, 08:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Man, I need to stop spending money, but I can't resist buying this set at such a great price.

I can still remember playing Rat Patrol with my buddies back in the early to mid 70's.

Thanks for the heads up, OP.
Couldn't resist adding that my buds & I did the same (only during the 60's when it originally aired). We made a Jeep by putting a "driver's" chair behind a card table with this huge, ugly armchair turned around backward behind the driver. The "gunner" (complete with cowboy hat pinned up on one side like Sgt. Troy) could kneel comfortably in the armchair slightly elevated above the driver. We had a realitstic-looking toy 50-cal. machine gun on a tripod that fired plastic bullets from an ammunition belt that fed through (amazing the variety of weapons you cold get in those days). The only danger was if the gunner got carried away & caused the gun to tip forward on its mount, thus conking the driver in the head (which is why the driver needed to wear a helmet like Tully instead of a Civil-war style cap a la Hitchcock).

Ah...those were the days. WWII was won on a daily basis right there in the basement (the same room I'm typing this in, since we moved back into the home place I inherited last year).
Old 08-14-08, 06:30 PM

Thanks OP, I'm in for one. I couldn't resist the price. Now to see if I enjoy it as much now as I did as a kid.
Old 08-22-08, 11:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Darn, somehow missed this thread, back to $33.