Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lakeview Terrace (2008)- new Samuel L. Jackson flick

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809886698/trailer

Saw the trailer with Pineapple Express. Looks like a great unintentional comedy. For one thing, it doesn't seem to have an original bone in its body, looking like a mix of Unlawful Entry, Training Day, Disturbia, and countless other movies. For another, Sam Jackson seems to be playing the Dave Chappelle version of himself. He even delivers a line in the trailer with the same inflection that Chappelle used when he said "IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!". The line in the trailer is "I'M THE POLICE, YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT I SAY!". The funniest part of the trailer is when Jackson is cutting down the trees saying they didn't have permission to plant them.

Does anyone think this actually looks good? Or just good in the so-bad-its-good way? I vote for the latter.
Old 08-08-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809886698/trailer

Saw the trailer with Pineapple Express. Looks like a great unintentional comedy. For one thing, it doesn't seem to have an original bone in its body, looking like a mix of Unlawful Entry, Training Day, Disturbia, and countless other movies. For another, Sam Jackson seems to be playing the Dave Chappelle version of himself. He even delivers a line in the trailer with the same inflection that Chappelle used when he said "IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!". The line in the trailer is "I'M THE POLICE, YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT I SAY!". The funniest part of the trailer is when Jackson is cutting down the trees saying they didn't have permission to plant them.

Does anyone think this actually looks good? Or just good in the so-bad-its-good way? I vote for the latter.
disturbia was original? shit.
Old 08-08-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
The line in the trailer is "I'M THE POLICE, YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT I SAY!". The funniest part of the trailer is when Jackson is cutting down the trees saying they didn't have permission to plant them.

Yes, this looks hilariously bad. Chainsaw-wielding Samuel L. Jackson...awesome.

In a perfect world the trailer obnoxiously proclaims "From the director of The Wicker Man and the writer of Star Trek V!" And that line has the potential of being the new "Killing me won't bring back your GODDAMNED HONEY!"
Old 08-08-08, 09:39 AM
Banned

It seems weird this is only rated PG-13. What happened to Neil Labute? However I dont think it looks terrible and will give it a rent at least.
Old 08-08-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When did they decide to remake Unlawful Entry?
Old 08-08-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
It seems weird this is only rated PG-13. What happened to Neil Labute? However I dont think it looks terrible and will give it a rent at least.
He never had any talent to begin with.

[/runs]
Old 08-08-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's funny because in this trailer Samuel L Jackson says, "I'm the PO-LICE!"

And then the movie this trailer was attached to had what got the biggest laugh from the audience, which was James Franco exclaiming, "FUCK THE PO-LICE!"
Old 08-08-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what a joke Samuel L. Jackson has become...
Old 08-08-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, because I, for one, always found him to be such a serious actor. How he didn't get the nod for Deep Blue Sea I'll never know...

K
Old 08-08-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With all the junk this guy appears in, I'd hate to see the scripts he turns down.
Old 08-08-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
With all the junk this guy appears in, I'd hate to see the scripts he turns down.
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
what a joke Samuel L. Jackson has become...
His performance in Black Snake Moan was fantastic, fit perfectly into the character and easily his best since Pulp Fiction. One of my favorites from last year too.

He admittedly does show up in some bad movies, but many of them do shine.
Old 08-09-08, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One of my clients works at Sony, has seen this and said the movie horrible.
Old 08-09-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
One of my clients works at Sony, has seen this and said the movie horrible.
Maybe we'll get a Wicker Man-like reel of clips from the movie when it comes out on DVD that'll make it funny.
Old 08-09-08, 08:23 AM

I saw the trailer for this abortion in front of Pineapple Express, but until I read this thread I had no idea that it was directed by Neil Labute.

How does the writer/director of some of the best films of the 90s end up with such a horrible track record? I completely understand selling out to get paid well, but for christ's sake you made Your Friends and Neighbors, can't you sell out for something better than Lakeview Terrace?

Labute is coming close to taking the record for biggest career 180 in the history of cinema.
Old 08-09-08, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Much like Walken, the guy likes to work. He doesn't turn many things down because the man likes earning a living. Nothing wrong with that.

And much like Walken, I'll usually give a chance to any film with Jackson in it. Because if nothing else, he can turn the movie into a laughably bad film, instead of just terrible.
Old 08-09-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Yeah, this does look terrible. No wonder they're dumping this in September (though it looks more like a DTV flick).
Old 08-09-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Looks alright. From the reactions here, I was expecting a more laughable trailer.

Reminds me of "Changing Lanes", which was an alright flick. Glad I saw it and I'll probably never watch it again ... one of those movies.

Bad neighbors can get weird. I have a friend who did stuff like this (cutting the plants, the opposing flood lights, etc.). Can't say that it ever escalated to gunshots. But they definately got at each other.
Old 08-09-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Yeah, this does look terrible. No wonder they're dumping this in September (though it looks more like a DTV flick).
What's funny is that when I rented 21 and saw the trailer for this on that DVD, I just naturally assumed it was direct-to-video. It wasn't until I saw the trailer in theatres (before Pineapple Express) that I realized it was actually coming out in theatres. It's true. It totally has DTV written all over it.

K
Old 08-09-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082
And much like Walken, I'll usually give a chance to any film with Jackson in it. Because if nothing else, he can turn the movie into a laughably bad film, instead of just terrible.
Same here. I'll rent it, as I thought it looked entertaining.
Old 08-09-08, 10:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Really pisses me off seeing LaBute do stuff like this. After In the Company of Men and Your Friends and Neighbors, I thought he was the new Mamet. Really not seeing it beyond his first two movies.

Last edited by E Unit; 08-09-08 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-09-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This will make a fantastic Rifftrax film, I'm sure.
Old 08-22-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Really pisses me off seeing LaBute do stuff like this. After In the Company of Men and Your Friends and Neighbors, I thought he was the new Mamet. Really not seeing it beyond his first two movies.
Yeah, he's really fallen off. What ever happened to the smart, edgy LaBute who seemed poised for big things in the late '90s?
Old 08-22-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sam Jackson will do any movie you offer him it seems...I'm sure this will rank along side other shitfests like Freedomland... I like Patrick Wilson too but this looks like shit.
Old 09-03-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I've started seeing commercials for this. Definitely a possible 'so bad it's good' movie.
Same exact thoughts. Can't wait to see this puppy!!

In other news, I've been sleeping on Kerry Washington for far too long now...
Old 09-03-08, 03:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by trespoochies

his plays are better IMO. This seems to be right up Neil's alley though, whether it will be a good movie is debateable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.